Dinner Plans? (12 Viewers)

Sesame chicken we made
550F6CF8-3644-4685-A119-5BB17831B09C.jpeg

View attachment 471054

The star if this plate was the rice. We had a pan at lunch that I cooked a couple strips of bacon in, so I used that to toast the rice. Then I added a 3:1 water/wine mix to cook the rice. Just stunning!

You toasted the raw rice in bacon grease. Then cooked it in a water/wine ratio. Outfuckingstanding lol.

Ok chefs, we are making Steak au Poivre tonight and we are scared of the flambe portion of the cooking. Anyone ever done this? Any tips so we don't burn our house down or our faces off??!! Our cabinets are rather close to the cooking surface...we were thinking we would add the cognac outside on the bbq and use a long lighter???

here is an example of the technique...

Last edited:
Sorry, but the chef (my partner) is sleeping.
Reminiscent line of the Pulp Fiction film (about the Gimp): "Well, I 'm afraid you 'll have to just wake her up, won't you":LOL: :laugh:

Last edited:
Ok chefs, we are making Steak au Poivre tonight and we are scared of the flambe portion of the cooking. Anyone ever done this? Any tips so we don't burn our house down or our faces off??!! Our cabinets are rather close to the cooking surface...we were thinking we would add the cognac outside on the bbq and use a long lighter???

here is an example of the technique...
Literally a hundred times, if not more - and I'm a firefighter, so I have more than a fire to worry about. If my house burns, I get to live with that fact the rest of my career.

1st, make sure your cabinets are clean underneath. Lots of grease builds up there, so clean that off.

Beyond that, fear is your enemy. Start small with the cognac, you can always add more. You just need a fire that you are not going to be afraid of. Alcohol flames burn relatively cool, and wont heat your cabinets up enough to make tham off-gas (pyrolysis). They won't burn, but you should still keep the fire moving.

Finally, have a fire extinguisher handy, in case you panic and drop it on the floor. You can also have a lid close by to cover it if you need to, but alcohol fires will burn out pretty quickly.

I do mine in the dark now, because everyone loves a show, but might not be wise for your first cook. ;)

Literally a hundred times, if not more - and I'm a firefighter, so I have more than a fire to worry about. If my house burns, I get to live with that fact the rest of my career.

1st, make sure your cabinets are clean underneath. Lots of grease builds up there, so clean that off.

Beyond that, fear is your enemy. Start small with the cognac, you can always add more. You just need a fire that you are not going to be afraid of. Alcohol flames burn relatively cool, and wont heat your cabinets up enough to make tham off-gas (pyrolysis). They won't burn, but you should still keep the fire moving.

Finally, have a fire extinguisher handy, in case you panic and drop it on the floor. You can also have a lid close by to cover it if you need to, but alcohol fires will burn out pretty quickly.

I do mine in the dark now, because everyone loves a show, but might not be wise for your first cook. ;)

You might have saved our asses with your post. We cook a lot of Italian sausage on the stove top and as a result, there is a ton of grease under and even on our cabinets as we embarrassingly need to clean more often. We will be doing this outside with a long lighter. THANK YOU

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom