Dinner Plans? (6 Viewers)

I love a good beef stew. Beef, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and wine -- yum! A hearty fall/winter meal.

@detroitdad, what seasonings did you use?

BTW, I've always had great results using flour as a thickener. Most times, if you dredge the chunks of meat in flour before browning, the gravy might be thick enough without needing more.

Kudos for doing this without a recipe. (y) :thumbsup:

Chicken Bacon Ranch hoagies with hand breaded chicken cutlets and maple burbon bacon. (y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:

DE617EB8-4EA1-48E8-BE16-510C1CD5FA7E.jpeg

7DB710A8-8284-420D-9BBC-8CAA9704D9E6.jpeg

View attachment 137899 View attachment 137900 first time making beef stew. It's obviously not thick enough. I'd give the flavor a 10.

@Poker Zombie You would have been proud. Didn't measure a single thing :)

I absolutely love beef stew. Both my mother and great grandmother made some awesome stew! I'm more into a good, hearty slow cooker stew (add a beer of course).

For dessert, I've taken to this, a cherry cheesecake cookie lasagna. Great for the sweet tooth at heart :D

20171203_231642.jpg

BTW, I've always had great results using flour as a thickener. Most times, if you dredge the chunks of meat in flour before browning, the gravy might be thick enough without needing more.

That's how my dad did it. Dredged and browned the meat, then sealed the pressure cooker for some amount of time (I think I have his basic recipe somewhere). Always thick and the meat fell apart.

No recipe. Detroit Dad is learning from PZ.

I'm trying. I'm nowhere near there yet .

Looks good, recipe please!

I looked up a few different recipes for a base. Then I made some changes to suit what I wanted.

what seasonings did you use?

The main ingredients were beef, potatoes, celery, carrots, and onions.

I peppered the beef, then I browned in it oil. I also added one diced garlic clove and a generous helping of liquid smoke. My wife and I have different opinions on how much garlic should be used. I like a lot. She doesn't. When trying something new I error on the side of not enough. Next time I'll do two to three garlic cloves.

After the beef was sufficiently cooked I added in the broth. I used four beef bullion cubes/4 cups of water. I seasoned the broth with dried rosemary, Oregano, paprika, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. No measurements :)

I cut the carrots, celery and red potatoes in big ass chunks. I loved it. Everything maintained a degree of texture.

I mixed a ton of corn starch and cold water together and kept adding it into the broth but I couldn't get it to a gravy type thickness. @Poker Zombie sent me some great ideas that I will try next time.

It probably cooked for a total of 2.5 to 3 hours.

Served it hot with home made biscuits that Jake made :)

Dang, I forgot to take pictures. Sorry.

The other day I picked up a 5 lb.prime rib roast. It was sitting in the refrigerator when my brother and his wife stopped by at 3pm to pick up their dog, who'd been staying with us for a few days. My wife came over and whispered, "Should we invite them for dinner? We've got that prime rib..." So she did, for 6pm. Uh oh, pressure! So...

Sous vide for five+ inches thick takes much too long, so I cut the roast into two roasts, each 2-1/2 inches thick. They wouldn't fit into my usual sous vide vacuum sealing bags, so it had to be slide zip-locs. Heavy salt and pepper, into the bags they go.

Our hot tap water comes out at 132 deg F, so not much preheating time at all. Set the SansAire to 134, and in the bags go.

Three hours later, they come out a perfect medium rare (the two tablespoons of liquid in each bag go into the red wine and stock reduction.) Onto really hot cast iron for one minute each side, slice and serve immediately, with grilled asparagus and salad.

No muss, no fuss, and very little work. To show the result, this is a left-over hunk the next day, even after being warmed at 300 deg. for 20 minutes. I could have warmed it sous vide, but that would have ruined the delicious crust.

Sous vide for the win!

PrimeRibSV.jpg

Dang, I forgot to take pictures. Sorry.

The other day I picked up a 5 lb.prime rib roast. It was sitting in the refrigerator when my brother and his wife stopped by at 3pm to pick up their dog, who'd been staying with us for a few days. My wife came over and whispered, "Should we invite them for dinner? We've got that prime rib..." So she did, for 6pm. Uh oh, pressure! So...

Sous vide for five+ inches thick takes much too long, so I cut the roast into two roasts, each 2-1/2 inches thick. They wouldn't fit into my usual sous vide vacuum sealing bags, so it had to be slide zip-locs. Heavy salt and pepper, into the bags they go.

Our hot tap water comes out at 132 deg F, so not much preheating time at all. Set the SansAire to 134, and in the bags go.

Three hours later, they come out a perfect medium rare (the two tablespoons of liquid in each bag go into the red wine and stock reduction.) Onto really hot cast iron for one minute each side, slice and serve immediately, with grilled asparagus and salad.

No muss, no fuss, and very little work. To show the result, this is a left-over hunk the next day, even after being warmed at 300 deg. for 20 minutes. I could have warmed it sous vide, but that would have ruined the delicious crust.

Sous vide for the win!

View attachment 142814

Apparently you and PZ think a lot alike. He had me pick-up a standing rib roast at the store yesterday, portioned out two 2 lb. pieces for dinner and put the other 2.8 lb piece in the freezer for another day.

I made twice-baked potatoes and PZ threw in another side. My assist to the steaks was the flip them while he held the flame thrower.

We both put solid dents in the food..... if you call eating 0.7 lbs of steak a solid dent. ;)

2017-12-23 20.09.44.jpg

Last year I did two full standing rib roast for the entire family to enjoy. This year we did the family Christmas with Tamales and some Honey Baked Ham on Christmas Eve. Tonight just a few of us here for a small family dinner so I went with a small boneless Rib Roast that I encrusted with Garlic, salt and spice. A quick 15 minutes at 500 degrees and then low and slow! Just put it in for the sear and now going for the low and slow!

Merry Christmas!

David O
IMG_2533.JPG

Last year I did two full standing rib roast for the entire family to enjoy. This year we did the family Christmas with Tamales and some Honey Baked Ham on Christmas Eve. Tonight just a few of us here for a small family dinner so I went with a small boneless Rib Roast that I encrusted with Garlic, salt and spice. A quick 15 minutes at 500 degrees and then low and slow! Just put it in for the sear and now going for the low and slow!

If you believe Kenji Lopez-Alt (and I do), it works even better if you give it that 500 deg blast *after* the long-and-slow (or sous vide). Take it out and let it sit while the oven heats to 500, then back in. More even interior cooking, and you still get that nice crust.

If you believe Kenji Lopez-Alt (and I do), it works even better if you give it that 500 deg blast *after* the long-and-slow (or sous vide). Take it out and let it sit while the oven heats to 500, then back in. More even interior cooking, and you still get that nice crust.
Was just about to post the same thing. I put a probe thermometer in and roast it low (under 200 degrees) for hours until it hits 120 deg. Then I rest it 30 minutes or so while I get the oven rocket hot, and put it in for 10 minutes to form a lovely crust. Serve immediately. Perfect pink from edge to edge with a tasty crust.

I like Kenji Lopez-Alt and have his big book which I highly recommend to anyone...though I always thought he kind of took Alton Browns gig...whos show Good Eats is supposedly coming back!

As for crab, we usually just use it for the sauce and don't serve it. This year my mom asked me to put it out so I did. Then couldn't find our crab crackers:(

Last edited:
I like Kenji Lopez-Alt and have his big book which I highly recommend to anyone...

Yeah, I have it too. It's excellent. If you have that and Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Anything", you're set.

There's a new Kenji book coming out soon, focused on more practical cooking. Also an interesting read on grubstreet at: http://grb.st/2zD9Cqg

...though I always thought he kind of took Alton Browns gig...whos show Good Eats is supposedly coming back!

Kenji is sort of a cross between Alton and Shirley Corriher, the actual food scientist who provided all the knowledge behind Good Eats. Anyway, Alton's set for life.

BTW, if you haven't seen it, his road show tour of large concert halls is pretty entertaining! We saw him in Tampa last year.

As for crab....couldn't find our crap crackers

For all the times it intrudes, where's spell-check when you need it? :eek:

Last edited:
When you get down here, I'm going to have to give you a class in tortilla rolling.

They do look tasty though - that part you got nailed!

These are wrapped a hundred times better than what I normally do. My wife tried to teach me in this was the best I could get

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom