Tourney Dia de los Muertos Chips are Staring into my Soul (1 Viewer)

HobokenNJ

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm thinking about picking up a small set of Dia de los Muertos semi-custom chips, and wouldn't mind some feedback on my thought process. I play a causal game with my son (& sometimes my wife) structured like a tournament (timed increasing blinds, etc.) Maybe we'd add a fourth player on occasion so a large number of chips are not needed. I think the chips have a nice "wow" factor to them, and look to be miles ahead of what we're currently using. This would be our first non-cheapo set.

After spending a bunch of time reading old threads, I was thinking of using 25 / 100 / 500 / 1000 denominations. Starting stacks would be 12 / 17 / 4 / 6. Budgeting in a few extras I was thinking 60 of 25 in red; 80 of 100 in green; 30 of 500 in black; 30 of 100 in yellow. 200 chips in total. (I'm tempted to switch purple for the black -- but thinking the black is works well with the rest of the colors.)

- Any thoughts on any of this (the number of chips, color combination, stack size, etc.)?

I was thinking that if it turns out I ordered too few, I could just reorder another set to top up. I'd prefer to start small, and build if necessary. I'm pretty sure this will always remain a causal set.

This is a great forum. Thanks for all the guidance.

Don't they need to be multiples of 25?

Good to know. I had interpreted "there is a minimum order quantity of 25 chips per denomination" meaning I had to hit 25, but could do any number over 25. Too bad -- that'll make minimizing the excess a tougher.

I don't think that's the case, it should really just be a minimum of 25, but you can order 26?

Having the standard tourney colors used for their non-standard values would tilt me hugely. You could easily use the colors you’ve chosen in a more typical Green/Black/Red/Yellow sequence.

One of the fun things about semi-custom ceramics is that you can do whatever you want... But curious why you’re thinking of going Red 25/Green 100/Black 500/Yellow 1k?

One of the benefits of the DDLM are the ability to customize your colors, but I would consider swapping your colors around a bit to follow more standard color denominations for most of the set. Using the colors you mentioned above:

25 - green
100 - black
500 - red (or purple)
1000 - yellow

Even though the set and your games are mostly contained to just your family now, eventually down the road you may want to play elsewhere. You'll definitely find it easier to make that transition to playing at other games if the chip colors are similar. Just something to keep in mind.

I started playing 3 handed tourneys with my boys this summer, let me take a look at what we typically use for stacks, I'll probably have some suggestions on the breakdown.

Good thoughts on the colors. I appreciate all these thoughts (& any others). I'll probably finalize and order in a day or two.

Minimum is 25, not a multiple, for the semi-customs so you can order 26. No minimum for the standard denominations though but it looks like you're going semi-custom? Odd colour selection as others have mentioned since it's same as standard just incremented a denomination (25 is the 5 color, 100 is the 25 colour etc)

If you're set on the T25 base, then I would get 60/80/20/40 for a 200 chip set so you can have 12/17/4/6 when you're 4-handed and 12/12/3/7 if you get an extra player. General rule of thumb I've seen for tourney style sets is double the number of 500s for the number of 1000s

BTW... I love the life story that the Muertos chips tell if you do Green/Black/Purple/Yellow.
Green - Her in all her beauty
Black - Him during his pirating days
Purple - Wedded Bliss
Yellow - Then along comes the little angel

Fun stuff! :)

Great advice, esp. the points about increasing the flexibility of the set. I think that puts me at the following (with a few extra chips for a cushion).

70 - 25 denomination - Green
85 - 100 denomination - Black
35 - 500 denomination - Red (or, maybe, purple)
60 - 1000 denomination - Yellow

Now I'm left scratching my head wondering how my thought of a 200 chip set has become a 250 chip set....

EDIT: BSteck's life story post might be the way I pitch the set to my wife. I do think I like the red chips a touch more.

I'll post the usual advice: Get samples!

Seriously. My favorite colors in person are the orange and purple. They really, really pop. And I felt the black $100 was a little too dark overall, so I switched that to white for my set.

For me, the green and red chips were my least favourite design so I went pseudo cali style and did yellow/purple/white/black/blue/pink

0ac49614-4fdf-46a6-a12b-4be6aaf1d723-jpeg.212632

If you really want to keep it to 200 chips, you can do a breakdown of 60/60/30/50 or 60/60/30/45/5. This would give you your desired breakdown for 3 players, slightly reduced for 4 and capable for up to 6 with enough spares for color ups or rebuys ($5ks can be chips but the $5k plaques are a riot).

3 players - 12/17/4/6 - 39 total
4 players - 12/12/7/5 - 36 total
5 players - 12/17/5/6 - 35 total
6 players - 8/8/4/7 - - 27 total

I started playing 3 handed with my 2 boys this summer, and personally found that for these short handed games, 10k starting stacks was a little overkill. We use 5k starting stacks with a breakdown of 20/15/6. What's also nice about the 5k stacks is that I can load 2 barrels of 25s, 2 barrels of 100s and a barrel of 500s into a single chip box and voilà - portable 3 person set for vacation :)

My kids love the DDLM chips, that's actually one of the big reasons I bought my set. My youngest saw me checking out the design on PCF and said they were the coolest chips he'd ever seen. And they've treated him very good....

And x2 on grabbing a 60mm button while you're at it, they're really cool.

Great advice, esp. the points about increasing the flexibility of the set. I think that puts me at the following (with a few extra chips for a cushion).

70 - 25 denomination - Green
85 - 100 denomination - Black
35 - 500 denomination - Red (or, maybe, purple)
60 - 1000 denomination - Yellow

Now I'm left scratching my head wondering how my thought of a 200 chip set has become a 250 chip set....

EDIT: BSteck's life story post might be the way I pitch the set to my wife. I do think I like the red chips a touch more.

You could do the red chip as a 5000 and still keep the story intact... with the roses that red chip kinda has a funeral feel to it (or at least I could maybe spin it that way). Or you could do a pink 5000 and call it the retirement party chip.

Hauling a set along for a trip is something I'm hoping to do as well. I think showing my wife a picture of your happy boy might be enough salesmanship I need to do. Wonderful -- thanks for sharing, Irish.

I think I'm final on the count. My son picked out one of the dealer chips he prefers, so I'll get that too.

For 500, I'm leaning toward purple (instead of red).
For the 100, I like the picture above from Darson, so thinking about swapping the black for white.

Before an order is finalized, does anyone know if the company sends out proofs? I would like to show my son both versions before I order.

Before an order is finalized, does anyone know if the company sends out proofs? I would like to show my son both versions before I order.
Definitely - they will send you proofs for your approval. I went through 3 sets before finalizing mine.

I think I'm final on the count. My son picked out one of the dealer chips he prefers, so I'll get that too.

For 500, I'm leaning toward purple (instead of red).
For the 100, I like the picture above from Darson, so thinking about swapping the black for white.

Do they sell sample sets?

Edit: @Darson answered my question.

Just to be clear, by proofs, I meant pictures - here are mine.

10 points for Griffindor if you can spot the difference between the last two.

ABC can also print and photograph or send you actual chips (faces only, no edges). This will add to the cost and may delay your order time given the chips have to travel in the mail.

Super helpful!

For the last two, is the highlighting around the 5 different? (white in one; yellow in the other).

For the last two, is the highlighting around the 5 different? (white in one; yellow in the other).
Yes! The stock highlight is white but I wanted them yellow to match all the other chips.

10 points for Griffindor!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom