D U N E (no, not Dunes) (2 Viewers)

inca911

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
The first trailer for the new movie was just released. It looks much better than previous attempts, but it's a hard book to make into a movie--as has been demonstrated previously. I reread the first trilogy in anticipation of the new adaptation. I will say that using Pink Floyd's Eclipse was a good choice.

“Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.”

Current release date: 18Dec2020. "Only in theaters" seems a bit optimistic....

Last edited:
Saw this at the beginning of Tenet (btw 12 of 14 theaters were playing Tenet this week).

I will say Denis Villeneuve (and maybe David Fincher) is probably the most consistent modern working director and best at executing near perfection of every aspect of his films. I am very excited for this. He is my favorite modern director but quite a stretch.

Pink Floyd was originally intended to do the soundtrack for the original Dune, I believe, which is the reason for the nod to Pink Floyd in the trailer music.

Last edited:
Jason Mamoa seems WAY too fucking cheery and I don't trust Hollywood not to fuck up remakes, reboots or even brand new projects these days. It's all about amazing visuals with horrible scripting, dialogue and characters.

Jason Mamoa seems WAY too fucking cheery and I don't trust Hollywood not to fuck up remakes, reboots or even brand new projects these days. It's all about amazing visuals with horrible scripting, dialogue and characters.

It is the same director and crew who remade Blade Runner. The remake was generally praised. I personally feel the remake was much better. I expect the same here, although I can't speak to the book.

When I saw the trailer, it looked to me more like a modern day remake of David Lynch's film than anything else. The look and feel seems very similar. Not that that's a bad thing - the art direction and style are one of the best things about Lynch's adaptation.

I'm looking forward to this and will also be re-reading the books.

One of my favorite sci-fi books growing up, I just ordered the original trilogy to re-read in advance of the movie. The fact that Villeneuve is directing keeps me hopeful that this won't get completely f'd up, Prisoners & Sicario were both solid flicks and Arrival was downright awesome.

Sicario, Prisoners, Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, etc...

I am not one to go into movies with high expectations, but Villeneuve is consistently making amazing movies and apparently Dune has been his passion/dream project since before he even got into high-tier film making. Until he makes even an average movie, I am going to be optimistic that he will deliver.

Are we talking the 1984 Dune remake?
tenor (2).gif

Last edited:
I am one of the very few that didn’t mind the original movie. This better be good.
Little scared to admit it but I love the Lynch film. I think Lynch did a great job and the cast is stunning (although Kyle MacLachlan is a bit too smiley in parts). The art direction is superb with many of the designs done or inspired by Geiger's work which links it to another of my favourite films, Alien. You have to watch it at least twice to understand what's going on. Probably not a great thing for cinema.

It's horrendously difficult to take such an involved book to the screen - just look at how much Peter Jackson cut out of Lord of the Rings, and even how much he cut out of the Hobbit even though he had three films to cover it. I can forgive Lynch for introducing the sonic weapons rather than trying to depict the Fremen as naturally being bad-asses.

No Sting?
The premise is that this film covers the first half of the book
and will last until House Atreides falls and Paul joins the Fremen and become Muad'dib. Feyd (Sting's character) only comes in after this so he's either going to be a big reveal at the end of the movie or introduced in the 2nd one.

and will last until House Atreides falls and Paul joins the Fremen and become Muad'dib. Feyd (Sting's character) only comes in after this so he's either going to be a big reveal at the end of the movie or introduced in the 2nd one.

Good to know. I was wondering what they were going to do when I saw that Jason Momoa was cast as Duncan Idaho. He’d get what, 10-15 mins of screen time if they shoehorned the book into one movie?

I'm exited to watch this. So much potential in this story/universe.

Also, if you haven't seen Jodorowsky's Dune, its incredible.

Wonder how many gay couples, gender nonconforming persons and random black people they are going to throw in that are irrelevant to the plot in this one. Prettymuch every modern retake of an beloved old franchise in recent history has been butchered with some sort of "woke" "modern" reinterpretation.

Wonder how many gay couples, gender nonconforming persons and random black people they are going to throw in that are irrelevant to the plot in this one. Prettymuch every modern retake of an beloved old franchise in recent history has been butchered with some sort of "woke" "modern" reinterpretation.
My wife was just commenting how they did this to Anna of Green Gables, or something like that. It was so bad even the woke folk hated it.

Re this movie, is Jean Luc Picard still in it?

This is one time I agree with them splitting it up. I think the original movie really struggled with pacing and trying to cover everything in one episode.

Little scared to admit it but I love the Lynch film. I think Lynch did a great job and the cast is stunning (although Kyle MacLachlan is a bit too smiley in parts). The art direction is superb with many of the designs done or inspired by Geiger's work which links it to another of my favourite films, Alien. You have to watch it at least twice to understand what's going on. Probably not a great thing for cinema.

It's horrendously difficult to take such an involved book to the screen - just look at how much Peter Jackson cut out of Lord of the Rings, and even how much he cut out of the Hobbit even though he had three films to cover it. I can forgive Lynch for introducing the sonic weapons rather than trying to depict the Fremen as naturally being bad-asses.
I'm a big fan of the books, and I also loved the Lynch version, though it's been years since I've read/seen either so I'm past due.

I think one of the big problems with the 80s movie was that you really had to be familiar with the book to understand most of it. Plus, shit was just weird, which definitely worked for teenage me when it came out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom