Custom Wooden Poker Chip Storage Cabinet and Trays (3 Viewers)

I contemplated having @alecnetwoodworks build me a custom shuffle tech shuffler cabinet to match my chip cabinet, but after some thought, I felt the shuffler would have been a waste of money, and the shuffler cabinet to not fit very well in my space.

To be fair, that was an initial offer and when I was just starting my business. The cabinets are about twice that cost now, especially since material costs have skyrocketed.
I was one of the early birds, and boy am I glad I got my cabinet. Even 2 years later, every time I see that cabinet in my game room, the quality construction coupled with ultra premium materials are just something to simply appreciate.
I wouldn't change a thing with mine, either.

You have plenty of White Sox ammo for their landfill inferno of a season.
Growing up in northeastern Iowa, in a family of sports fanatics, both my Dad and Grandpa were big Cubs fans. I followed them as a kid and loved Fergie and Ernie. I moved to Texas right after college, and followed them for a little while longer. But fairly soon I became a big Astros fan, which has lasted into finally reaching the glory days we are in the middle of right now. I have no hate for the Sox. Honestly, the only thing I really remember about them was losing to you back in our first ever World Series appearance. Still such a shame that Bagwell and Biggio never got a ring. Those guys are such class acts. Definitely pumped for taking another run at it this year. It will be fun to see if Judge can do anything against our pitching if we end up facing the Yankees in the ALCS. Then on to stuffing a sock in those whiners from LA who've been bitching about nothing but cheating ever since 2017. Or revenge against the Braves from last year would be nice too.

Growing up in northeastern Iowa, in a family of sports fanatics, both my Dad and Grandpa were big Cubs fans. I followed them as a kid and loved Fergie and Ernie. I moved to Texas right after college, and followed them for a little while longer. But fairly soon I became a big Astros fan, which has lasted into finally reaching the glory days we are in the middle of right now. I have no hate for the Sox. Honestly, the only thing I really remember about them was losing to you back in our first ever World Series appearance. Still such a shame that Bagwell and Biggio never got a ring. Those guys are such class acts. Definitely pumped for taking another run at it this year. It will be fun to see if Judge can do anything against our pitching if we end up facing the Yankees in the ALCS. Then on to stuffing a sock in those whiners from LA who've been bitching about nothing but cheating ever since 2017. Or revenge against the Braves from last year would be nice too.
The Astros are my second favorite team. Love that town. I have some good friends there, and have even had a job offer down there (If it wasn't for family, I would have probably taken it).

The Astros are my second favorite team. Love that town. I have some good friends there, and have even had a job offer down there (If it wasn't for family, I would have probably taken it).
If you ever change your mind, let me know. Winters are just a tad bit more tolerable... :D

I was down there for a day in May to visit a drum shop to build a custom drum set. I told the owner I'll work on finding more excuses to visit.

I ate at Taste of Texas. One of the finest tomahawks I've ever eaten.

Give me some advance notice next trip. I'll find out if anyone local has a game running. Or if it's a year or so from now, I may be hosting myself. Wife and I are starting to look for a new place, and dedicated poker space is a high priority.

I am a custom furniture builder out of Denver, CO and I was recently commissioned to design and build a poker chip storage solution for @TX_Golf_N_Poker. Design considerations, build photos and such can be found in the build thread here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/custom-chip-display-storage-cabinet-–-design-build-thread.57022/

I have just about completed this cabinet and now wanted to offer up my services to the community here.

Here are a few pics of the completed cabinet. More can be found in the build thread linked above.

View attachment 479057View attachment 479058View attachment 479059View attachment 479060

Cabinet Overview:

- Overall Dimensions of cabinet: 21x21x27 inches
- 4 fully removable slide out wooden trays designed to fit 1000-chip dealer insert from Spinetti Gaming - www.spinettisgaming.com/collections/chip-dealer-trays/products/1000-chip-inventory-tray (other insert options in the works)
- Heirloom quality, solid wood construction, built with furniture-grade joinery and finishes. Client can specify primary and secondary wood choices for case, as well as trays.
- Lockable upper compartment. Dimensions: 18.5x18.75x5.75 inches
- Lockable front door with glass insert. Door swings up and then slides into the case out of the way.
- Upgrade options available, such as interior LED lighting, hidden compartment, custom wooden inserts for top compartment, etc.

Base price of the cabinet and 4 wooden trays, built with standard domestic hardwoods (oak, ash, maple, alder) will be $1000.
Premium woods (walnut, cherry, mahogany, figured woods, etc.) are available with price dependent on species chosen.

Please note that I am custom furniture builder, which means that I build to fit your needs. This design is fairly easily modified so if you would like to see changes made just ask. Top compartment depth can be adjusted, or compartment can be removed entirely. A standard drawer could be added instead of the compartment. Or that drawer could be on the bottom instead of the top. Want more trays? Or less trays? Easy enough. Want the case to be free-standing? I can build a nice stand for it as well. Options are limitless. Just PM me and we can discuss your needs.

I'm also going to make the trays available by themselves. Those will start at $75 (again wood choice will play a role here) with discounts for ordering multiples. If just ordered trays, I will not machine the groove along the sides, unless so desired.

Shipping is not included in any of these prices, though I will deliver in the Denver metro area and we can work something out if you're within a few hundred miles of Denver. I also travel to Texas fairly regularly, so we may be able to work something out there as well. Crating and shipping are options too, at buyer expense (I've got a few leads on some more reasonable shipping options for bulky and somewhat heavy items like this). The trays alone should be simple enough to ship via standard means.

**Introductory Offer**

I really want to get a few of these out there and show off my craftsmanship so I'm looking to make an initial run of these (probably 3-5 depending on interest) built to standard specs (as shown) and will offer these up for $800 apiece. If you order one before I start building you can select your woods, otherwise I'll build with what I have an excess of in stock (likely oak for primary and various secondary woods for top/sides). If I can get more than 3 orders in the next few weeks, I can drop that price even further. I've got a trip planned for the end of July so lead time on this initial batch is probably about 8 weeks. Normal lead time will be 4-6 weeks depending on my load.

Let me know what you think, any questions you have, and anything else you might like to see made.

Thanks!

EDITING 9/16/21: Due to material cost increases and a lack of usable hours in a day to get everything done, base price on these cabinets is now around $1500. Lead time is also more like 12 weeks for the foreseeable future as well. Thanks, Alec
are you still building these?

are you still building these?
Alec is my son. He is not a daily user on PCF, but he will respond to you. He is not building furniture full time at the moment but he does still build these on a custom basis. Since you are a new member, you won't be able to private message with him. Let me know if I can help in any way to put you two in touch.

0F410ED1-A4CC-407F-B7F0-9C63198E0AAA.jpeg
2032EB6F-CE39-40DF-A926-177EF1AD703D.jpeg
B02B4AE7-9812-4706-B341-0BCE24248574.jpeg

I posted some pictures of my new cabinet on the mail thread but wanted to also give my review on Alec's vendor thread for those looking at these in the future. 1st Alec is fantastic to work with. If you dream it, he can build it. He is a great communicator and will answer any questions you may have. I went with a 6 tray (6000 chips) oak cabinet with slide out drawer on the top and a matching cabinet stand with another drawer and storage shelf on the stand. The trays are made of Sapele and the grains and finish work on all of the wood is beautiful (and that new cabinet wood smell is fantastic too). The cabinet and stand came in separate UPS shipments, were very well packaged and protected and arrived with no damage whatsoever. I opted to have him make me some wood racks for one of the trays just to get a feel for what that would look like and I had some 1000 chip Spinetti plastic trays for the rest, but I have a very strong feeling I will be ordering more of his wood racks for the rest of the trays because they are beautiful and go so well with the trays. I opted for the Hue bridge controlled lighting (very minimal cost to upgrade) and can control the lights with my phone. Everything about this cabinet is fantastic. If you are on the fence about ordering one of these, don't hesitate, they provide a phenomenal showcase for your chip collection. Get those chips out of your Apache cases, closets, plastic racks and into the home they deserve. You will not regret it. Added bonus, with the cabinet lights on and the room lights off, you get a vicious V shadow pointing right to the cabinet as if it is saying, look at me, this is where the action is at...lol (last picture). Anyhow, here is some pron. Thank you so much @alecnetwoodworks fantastic job all the way around and I appreciate all of the updates, responsiveness to questions and the superb craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Best wishes,

TS

IMG_3620.jpeg
IMG_3640.jpeg
IMG_3642.jpeg
IMG_3639.jpeg
IMG_3641.jpeg
IMG_3647.jpeg
IMG_3648.jpeg
IMG_3649.jpeg
IMG_3650.jpeg

Last edited:
I posted some pictures of my new cabinet on the mail thread but wanted to also give my review on Alec's vendor thread for those looking at these in the future. 1st Alec is fantastic to work with. If you dream it, he can build it. He is a great communicator and will answer any questions you may have. I went with a 6 tray (6000 chips) oak cabinet with slide out drawer on the top and a matching cabinet stand with another drawer and storage shelf on the stand. The trays are made of Sapele and the grains and finish work on all of the wood is beautiful (and that new cabinet wood smell is fantastic too). The cabinet and stand came in separate UPS shipments, were very well packaged and protected and arrived with no damage whatsoever. I opted to have him make me some wood racks for one of the trays just to get a feel for what that would look like and I had some 1000 chip Spinetti plastic trays for the rest, but I have a very strong feeling I will be ordering more of his wood racks for the rest of the trays because they are beautiful and go so well with the trays. I opted for the Hue bridge controlled lighting (very minimal cost to upgrade) and can control the lights with my phone. Everything about this cabinet is fantastic. If you are on the fence about ordering one of these, don't hesitate, they provide a phenomenal showcase for your chip collection. Get those chips out of your Apache cases, closets, plastic racks and into the home they deserve. You will not regret it. Added bonus, with the cabinet lights on and the room lights off, you get a vicious V shadow pointing right to the cabinet as if it is saying, look at me, this is where the action is at...lol (last picture). Anyhow, here is some pron. Thank you so much @alecnetwoodworks fantastic job all the way around and I appreciate all of the updates, responsiveness to questions and the superb craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Best wishes,

TS

View attachment 1198791View attachment 1198792View attachment 1198793View attachment 1198794View attachment 1198795View attachment 1198796View attachment 1198797View attachment 1198798View attachment 1198799
Wow that is amazing work!

Best wishes,

TS

View attachment 1198791View attachment 1198792View attachment 1198793View attachment 1198794View attachment 1198795View attachment 1198796View attachment 1198797View attachment 1198798View attachment 1198799
Fanfuckingtastic! I will never get tired of seeing the amazing creations of @alecnetwoodworks

I ran across this last week and it has me rethinking EVERYTHING I had planned to have made. Something like this just seems more realistic for my needs. I had planned on some wooden racks and trays but im not real excited about my chips being so accessible to everyone that walks thru my dining room. Alec I think you will be hearing from me. You do beautiful work.

I ran across this last week and it has me rethinking EVERYTHING I had planned to have made. Something like this just seems more realistic for my needs. I had planned on some wooden racks and trays but im not real excited about my chips being so accessible to everyone that walks thru my dining room. Alec I think you will be hearing from me. You do beautiful work.
You will not be disappointed, cabinet drawer and cabinet have locks for added security..

I suspect they’d be safe. How many people really pay attention to poker chips and see them as something other than fun game trinkets?
I understand and certainly agree. Just something in the back of my mind that wouldn't be there if I had Alec build me something like this. There's alot of pluses to having Alec build something like this. Another one would be that it would take up alot less space than what I was planning as well. The cabinet I had planned on using would honestly be a pretty big waste of space compared to Alec's cabinet.

Attachments

• 20230915_185151.jpg
    20230915_185151.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 84
I finally received my display case today, and man, was it worth the wait. I want to mention that not only is Alec great at his craft, he is also very good at communicating throughout the entire process. The detail and thought that he put into this case is evident throughout. I could go on and on, but I'll let the pictures do the talking. All I can say is that if you are looking for a craftsman level case, and a little patience...you needn't look any further.

Thanks again Alec, and I have no doubt that I'll be reaching out again sometime down the road.

-Ryan

Attachments

• 20240221_153443.jpg
    20240221_153443.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 20240221_153327.jpg
    20240221_153327.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 137
  • 20240221_153304.jpg
    20240221_153304.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 20240221_153253.jpg
    20240221_153253.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 20240221_153215.jpg
    20240221_153215.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 20240221_151217.jpg
    20240221_151217.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 131
  • 20240221_150846.jpg
    20240221_150846.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 20240221_153500.jpg
    20240221_153500.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 152
I finally received my display case today, and man, was it worth the wait. I want to mention that not only is Alec great at his craft, he is also very good at communicating throughout the entire process. The detail and thought that he put into this case is evident throughout. I could go on and on, but I'll let the pictures do the talking. All I can say is that if you are looking for a craftsman level case, and a little patience...you needn't look any further.

Thanks again Alec, and I have no doubt that I'll be reaching out again sometime down the road.

-Ryan
Top notch! Alec does amazing work. I have two glass top cases from him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom