Custom Wooden Poker Chip Storage Cabinet and Trays (4 Viewers)

alecnetwoodworks

Pair
Site Vendor
Reaction score
I am a custom furniture builder out of Denver, CO and I was recently commissioned to design and build a poker chip storage solution for @TX_Golf_N_Poker. Design considerations, build photos and such can be found in the build thread here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/custom-chip-display-storage-cabinet-–-design-build-thread.57022/

I have just about completed this cabinet and now wanted to offer up my services to the community here.

Here are a few pics of the completed cabinet. More can be found in the build thread linked above.

034DC524-BF47-4320-BBBD-300D2FE4E39B_1_105_c.jpeg385AABA2-3C91-4232-B517-1FABAB162D6D_1_105_c.jpeg7178C50B-8406-4DF7-B856-4FC22D5815D7_1_105_c.jpegA1E49249-C71D-4587-99F0-B32B91EEA138_1_105_c.jpeg

Cabinet Overview:

- Overall Dimensions of cabinet: 21x21x27 inches
- 4 fully removable slide out wooden trays designed to fit 1000-chip dealer insert from Spinetti Gaming - www.spinettisgaming.com/collections/chip-dealer-trays/products/1000-chip-inventory-tray (other insert options in the works)
- Heirloom quality, solid wood construction, built with furniture-grade joinery and finishes. Client can specify primary and secondary wood choices for case, as well as trays.
- Lockable upper compartment. Dimensions: 18.5x18.75x5.75 inches
- Lockable front door with glass insert. Door swings up and then slides into the case out of the way.
- Upgrade options available, such as interior LED lighting, hidden compartment, custom wooden inserts for top compartment, etc.

Base price of the cabinet and 4 wooden trays, built with standard domestic hardwoods (oak, ash, maple, alder) will be $1000.
Premium woods (walnut, cherry, mahogany, figured woods, etc.) are available with price dependent on species chosen.

Please note that I am custom furniture builder, which means that I build to fit your needs. This design is fairly easily modified so if you would like to see changes made just ask. Top compartment depth can be adjusted, or compartment can be removed entirely. A standard drawer could be added instead of the compartment. Or that drawer could be on the bottom instead of the top. Want more trays? Or less trays? Easy enough. Want the case to be free-standing? I can build a nice stand for it as well. Options are limitless. Just PM me and we can discuss your needs.

I'm also going to make the trays available by themselves. Those will start at $75 (again wood choice will play a role here) with discounts for ordering multiples. If just ordered trays, I will not machine the groove along the sides, unless so desired.

Shipping is not included in any of these prices, though I will deliver in the Denver metro area and we can work something out if you're within a few hundred miles of Denver. I also travel to Texas fairly regularly, so we may be able to work something out there as well. Crating and shipping are options too, at buyer expense (I've got a few leads on some more reasonable shipping options for bulky and somewhat heavy items like this). The trays alone should be simple enough to ship via standard means.

**Introductory Offer**

I really want to get a few of these out there and show off my craftsmanship so I'm looking to make an initial run of these (probably 3-5 depending on interest) built to standard specs (as shown) and will offer these up for $800 apiece. If you order one before I start building you can select your woods, otherwise I'll build with what I have an excess of in stock (likely oak for primary and various secondary woods for top/sides). If I can get more than 3 orders in the next few weeks, I can drop that price even further. I've got a trip planned for the end of July so lead time on this initial batch is probably about 8 weeks. Normal lead time will be 4-6 weeks depending on my load.

Let me know what you think, any questions you have, and anything else you might like to see made.

Thanks!

EDITING 9/16/21: Due to material cost increases and a lack of usable hours in a day to get everything done, base price on these cabinets is now around $1500. Lead time is also more like 12 weeks for the foreseeable future as well. Thanks, Alec

Last edited:
6533A129-7D86-45D7-8E1E-72FE75DA6926.jpeg
DA1BF97F-7AB1-48D4-981A-8F6E91BA5B3C.jpeg
851DE680-76D8-4274-8C58-C0EAA23F76C5.jpeg

I posted these in my mail Pron post, got good reactions and wanted to also post here. I personally love darker wood colors, everything turned out great- my phone camera isn’t the best resolution and don’t give the actual product it’s just due. Thanks again Alec for this great piece of art!

Last edited:
I had a request for a matching stand for the case to sit on and I wanted to share the design I have come up with. These are 3D renders of the display case and the stand, both in black walnut. Any feedback is always appreciated.

View attachment 538178View attachment 538179View attachment 538180View attachment 538181
I don't at all mean this as a slight, as this looks absolutely beautiful, but I would be concerned about the somewhat skinny leg supports bowing with time, especially with the weight of pounds of poker chips and whatever is stored in the top compartment of the piece weighing down the stand.

That being said, lots of ideas are swimming in my head seeing this....

I don't at all mean this as a slight, as this looks absolutely beautiful, but I would be concerned about the somewhat skinny leg supports bowing with time, especially with the weight of pounds of poker chips and whatever is stored in the top compartment of the piece weighing down the stand.

That being said, lots of ideas are swimming in my head seeing this....
I'm sure Alec will respond, but think about chairs that don't have legs any bigger than this and support 300 pound men. 4000 10 gram chips weigh in at 88 pounds. Even 4000 sluggos (blasphemy!) are less than 125 pounds.

My only regret is that I didn't get this instead of a boring file cabinet to put mine on!!! LOL. Love it. It's perfect! How tall is it?

No slight taken. The legs here are 2in square at the top tapering down to 1in at the foot. That coupled with mortise and tenon joinery and solid wood, and I'd expect this to handle 4-500# without issue, indefinitely. Probably significantly more in static load. The tapers are just doing their job in making the legs look slight.

I am working on another version as well that will be more of a farmhouse style leg. And a beefier look.

In this design, top of the table that the case sits on is at 26.5in, so total height is around 53.5in, so about 5in less than the file cabinet.

In this design, top of the table that the case sits on is at 26.5in, so total height is around 53.5in, so about 5in less than the file cabinet.
For anyone considering this, the height of this stand should be perfect for most. Mine on a 31 inch file cabinet, while totally functional, is a touch tall. I'm 5-10 1/2 and the top of the chip cabinet is just above my shoulders. No issues at all seeing or reaching into the top storage area, but 2-3 inches lower would be better. And I think the look is very aesthetically pleasing on this stand.

I am working on another version as well that will be more of a farmhouse style leg. And a beefier look.
Although I can’t afford it, I personally would like this style a lot more and it’d match the rest of my furniture a lot more (winning wife points) so I think having both to offer would be beneficial.

I've been slammed in the shop lately. Can't believe it's been a couple weeks since I've been on here. Thank you all for the kind words. The walnut case was delivered earlier this week, so should be seeing some pics from the new owner soon!

5 Drawer design instead of the standard 4. Pull out drawer on top instead of the flip style. Black (Charcoal stain). LED lights. No stand.
Sounds good. Can't wait to see it. Be cool to see one a little bit different than the first few. It's gonna be tall. You gonna put on something coffee table height?

Decided to add another shelf for a total of 6.
I'd love to see what this is going to look like. And I'm sure others would too. Do you mind if Alec posts the renderings here when you guys are done with the design stage? Since this one is quite a bit different than previous builds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom