Custom & Semi-Custom Sets (2 Viewers)

chipsncoffee

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m a new member to this forum, and everyone has been super friendly so far! I actually joined this site in October of last year, but had some family issues take place, so I wasn’t back on here until just a few days ago, but that’s in the past and completely beside the point! I actually want to ask some questions to the folks here who have built custom sets using Paulsons. I’ve seen some really incredible examples so far! I’m looking at you @WhiteMamba1646 ;)

My biggest question would be, how long did it take for you to acquire the amount of chips that you needed for your games? I’m actually about to pull the trigger on a set of JACK tournament solids. I had my heart set on the Stardust Poker Mansion tournament chips, but, being so new to this world, I had no idea that they were so highly sought after and pretty pricey, so that’s not really an option for the time being.

I was also curious about the custom labels that you all use. Some of these custom sets are so incredibly well done that it looks like the chip was made with the custom label on it and that there was no inlay removal whatsoever! I’ve heard the name @Gear used A few times. Is this generally the go-to guy for labels?

Thanks so much for your time, and thank you to everyone that I have interacted with so far! You all have been great! I look forward to getting to know more of you in the future!

Gear is definitely the man for this. I recommend getting one of his sample packs for $5 first before you do anything.

My advice after 11 months here and 6 sets in is to take your time and try and learn what really resonates with you as far as chips colors and styles and inlay designs. As everyone always says... get samples (of RHC, THC, CPC etc) just for the feel and sound since you can’t get a sense of that in photos. Learn the market because if you buy appropriately you can always sell at around the same price so you effectively rent these sets for free.

Personally, I don’t expect to hold sets forever which is why I am not big into custom CPCs, although I am comfortable altering Paulsons by milling them out or murdering inlays and using labels from @Gear or @ABC Gifts and Awards (also operates as @BR Pro Poker). I have used both and recommend both. If you need design help go to @timinater or @p5woody.

Welcome, good luck, and don’t be afraid to ask a ton of questions because this is generally a super helpful community.

My advice after 11 months here and 6 sets in is to take your time and try and learn what really resonates with you as far as chips colors and styles and inlay designs. As everyone always says... get samples (of RHC, THC, CPC etc) just for the feel and sound since you can’t get a sense of that in photos. Learn the market because if you buy appropriately you can always sell at around the same price so you effectively rent these sets for free.

Personally, I don’t expect to hold sets forever which is why I am not big into custom CPCs, although I am comfortable altering Paulsons by milling them out or murdering inlays and using labels from @Gear or @ABC Gifts and Awards (also operates as @BR Pro Poker). I have used both and recommend both. If you need design help go to @timinater or @p5woody.

Welcome, good luck, and don’t be afraid to ask a ton of questions because this is generally a super helpful community.

Wow! Less than a year and already six sets?? I was really hoping that one tournament set and one cash set would do it, but now you’ve got me worried. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I did get some samples from Apache which included some China clays and Paulsons, and I kind of wish that I hadn’t gotten the Paulson samples because they just feel the best to me. I still need to check out some samples from CPC for sure. I’d really like to see what their colors look like in person, and I really like the FDL mold because it supports a larger inlay.

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I really appreciate it!

Oh! I forgot to ask if anyone here offered any services for milling by chance? That’s a whole other thing that I need to check out!

...and as far as how long does it take to acquire the chips for a custom set, well that totally depends. Sometimes you start out in one directions and then completely change direction. Sometimes people know exactly which chips they want to build the set and then actively go out and seek them. Other times, like me right now, I have changed direction and am just watching the classifieds to see what pops up and might work well with the chips I have accumulated.

It is not apparent to new chippers, so I will mention that a LOT of sales happen in PMs away from the classifieds. Either among chippers who buy and sell frequently to each other and have a sense of what each other are working on or just by PMing people who have previously discussed those chips you are after somewhere in the forum.

I don’t know how common these are, but, as soon as I saw them, I knew that I wanted to build a custom set around them!

E5C39E76-4179-4F1A-AC0D-8E10550EDC6C.png

I don’t know how common these are, but, as soon as I saw them, I knew that I wanted to build a custom set around them!

View attachment 469006

gorgeous. See and now I guarantee you that some folks are going to pop in and say “oh, X chip or Y chip will look awesome with those as $1s in a cash set etc”.

FYI, appologies if you are aware already, but those are RHCs which can’t be milled. So you would either want to go with traditional inlay removal (by hand using a razor blade) or using “over labels” specifically from @Gear which are thin labels that you just put on top of the existing inlay.

gorgeous. See and now I guarantee you that some folks are going to pop in and say “oh, X chip or Y chip will look awesome with those as $1s in a cash set etc”.

FYI, appologies if you are aware already, but those are RHCs which can’t be milled. So you would either want to go with traditional inlay removal (by hand using a razor blade” or using “over labels” specifically from @Gear.
They can be milled with a 1 1/4th bit actually. But I'd agree, hand Murdering is the best option...

Welcome, watch your wallet around here. In just 10 months I have three cash and three tournament sets, with two of the tournament sets also having some flex to use as a cash set as well. I also bought another cash and tournament set that I sold to fund a set of CPC customs that is pending and another order that will go in later this summer.

Things get crazy here!

Oh man... I just saw the prettiest tournament set EVER! I don’t know anything about these, or how expensive they might be, but wow. Just wow. They sort of remind me of the chips used in the Aria Super High Roller Bowl tournament!

4871FD42-3810-464D-AD4F-52E5A2900489.png

Oh man... I just saw the prettiest tournament set EVER! I don’t know anything about these, or how expensive they might be, but wow. Just wow. They sort of remind me of the chips used in the Aria Super High Roller Bowl tournament!

View attachment 469008

Oh, you’re screwed mate :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Wow! Less than a year and already six sets?? I was really hoping that one tournament set and one cash set would do it, but now you’ve got me worried. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I kind of wish that I hadn’t gotten the Paulson samples because they just feel the best to me.
Unless you're single and independently wealthy, walk away now before it's too late......

Trust me. 15 years and 150,000+ chips later....

Man these edge spots are nice! Did you but these already for your custom set? You going to use them all? :whistle: :whistling:

Oh, no, haha. I don’t On any chips yet except for the samples that I have. This is just a borrowed photo.

Oh, you’re screwed mate:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Oh no! Why am I screwed?? Are these not possible to come by? :bag:

View attachment 469008

Congrats on having expensive tastes! Somebody show this man some Empress Star/Sunset Beach/BTP's!!!

You can find the Aurora Star hotstamps for about $3.50 to $4 per chip for a whole set. Those are affordable compared to the Empress Star primaries that I want that are between $6 to $7+ per chip. That is why they're staying as a "want" rather than a "will have" :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

You can find the Aurora Star hotstamps for about $3.50 to $4 per chip for a whole set. Those are affordable compared to the Empress Star primaries that I want that are between $6 to $7+ per chip. That is why they're staying as a "want" rather than a "will have" :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Tell me where I can find this treasure you speak of... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I'd for sure take it in and do your research. It's a lot of fun. There isn't a huge reason to rush!

Unless you're single and independently wealthy, walk away now before it's too late......

Trust me. 15 years and 150,000+ chips later....

yea so this is a biggest reason i have been able to get away with my purchases lol. Well not the wealthy part but i dont have a “better half” that i sink my money into so makes it easier for me to splurge haha. My oversized set kinda just fell into my lap with a couple of auctions and then finding the right higher demon chips. Biggest tip is find a chip you like the most and build around it. Those Tonkawa $5’s r awesome! And plenty of chips with similar edge spots for other demons too. Well done for your starting chip! And if your going your own custom route i would definitely suggest finding a designer on here and work with them on getting what your looking for built into your own inlay. Then of course @Gear labels are the way to go. I have never had a single issue with any of my labels i have purchased from him (and thats alot of labels) so he comes highly recommended. But also if your looking to save your money and have other responsibilities..... i would walk away while you can before its too late :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Best of luck finding what your looking for!

Yes! Show me!!

You wanna see all the THC premium stuff, you got it. Shield your eyes in order to protect your wallet.

None of the below photos are mine, I'll obviously remove any of them if requested.

Empress Star Cash, stolen from @Zmasterben :
1591023193702.png

Empress Star Primary Tourney, stolen from @k9dr :
1591022560766.png

Empress Star Secondary Tourney, stolen from @inca911 :

1591022644138.png

Sunset Beach Tourney, stolen from @RainmanTrail :

1591022685211.png

Sunset Beach Cash, stolen from @Changster :
SB Cash.jpg

BTP Tourney, stolen from @Poker4ever :

1591022812714.png

BTP Cash, stolen from @Cliff :

1591023449284.png

Congratulations on your new level of bankruptcy!

You wanna see all the THC premium stuff, you got it. Shield your eyes in order to protect your wallet.

None of the below photos are mine, I'll obviously remove any of them if requested.

Empress Star Cash, stolen from @Zmasterben :
View attachment 469039

Empress Star Primary Tourney, stolen from @k9dr :
View attachment 469028

Empress Star Secondary Tourney, stolen from @inca911 :

View attachment 469031

Sunset Beach Tourney, stolen from @RainmanTrail :

View attachment 469032

Sunset Beach Cash, stolen from @Changster :
View attachment 469041

BTP Tourney, stolen from @Poker4ever :

View attachment 469034

BTP Cash, stolen from @Cliff :

View attachment 469043

Congratulations on your new level of bankruptcy!

Oh shit, dropping the NAGB hammer on him.

BTPs are still the most beautiful objects I have ever laid my eyes on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom