Critique and offer suggestions for my 1/4 pie edge spot CPC set (2 Viewers)

Hi there, @JMC9389.

In general I'm going to decline providing input into a design who's general concept I am strongly biased against - it is well known that I feel tri-colored quarter-pies are a leading cause of disease in this country, so my input probably isn't something you want. If you decide to go bi-colored...well, I *might* have a bit of experience with those and am happy to lend a hand however I can.

I will echo Bill's comments re: inlay, however - inlay design absolutely matters. I strongly recommend doing your design work with a placeholder inlay as that will help inform your final color decisions. Simply put, trying to decide on colors without the context of an inlay - even if just an approximation - is a mistake.
Beautiful! Which shade of yellow did you use on the quarter and snapper on the cash set? That's what I feel my mockup is lacking now; a solid, acceptable yellow chip. I feel like the DG Tiger overpowers any yellow that CPC offers if I use each base color as a 1k and 5k chip.

It seems like to make the tricolor pies work, a darker base is needed and subsequently have lighter edge spots. As mentioned last night, will mock up another set in the next couple of days.
I think you were really close on your first try. I made some small tweaks...I think the white spot fixes the contrast issue on your yellow chip

1588337020400.png

need to have an inlay to get a true feel for how it will look
^^ This. Unless you plan on using blanks or hot-stamped chips, you need to put some type of inlay (preferably representing yours) on the chips -- it will drastically alter how the chips and colors appear to the eye.

I've tried numerous times to come up with something similar to the Riverboats, this was closest I got before I gave up :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 450555

Doh, I actually looked back and had two of these, with the previous I was concerned about dirty stacks with the 100 & 500 (retro blue / blurple):

1588339248401.png

Beautiful! Which shade of yellow did you use on the quarter and snapper on the cash set? That's what I feel my mockup is lacking now; a solid, acceptable yellow chip. I feel like the DG Tiger overpowers any yellow that CPC offers if I use each base color as a 1k and 5k chip.
DG Yellow.

The key to Chippy's great Bill's set is that he has one 3 color qpie. I agree with Scott that making an entire set of them is a challenge that I'd never attempt.

This is true, when making my Nirvana's i briefly toyed with the idea of making them all 3 color qpies, and quickly realized unless you make them all monochrome you're going to have big time dirty stack issues. Didn't really want that, i just wanted to refute the idea that all 3 color qpies are bad.

Last edited:
Doh, I actually looked back and had two of these, with the previous I was concerned about dirty stacks with the 100 & 500 (retro blue / blurple):

View attachment 450782
This might just be crazy enough to work if the imperial blue chip is used as the T500 instead of the existing one in the set.

This might just be crazy enough to work if the imperial blue chip is used as the T500 instead of the existing one in the set.

Sure, that would work:

1588353245991.png

Could also go charcoal base instead of black for the T100:

1588353169181.png

Sure, that would work:

View attachment 450936

Could also go charcoal base instead of black for the T100:

View attachment 450935
Was actually thinking imperial blue instead of blurple for T500, but these work too! I've toyed with the idea of a charcoal base for the T100 too; I think that looks better than black. Basically have a half day at work today, can't wait to get back in the lab this weekend!

View attachment 450782
Tweaked it just a little bit. No guts, no glory

DG pink base-T5 or nickel
Retro Green base- T25 or quarter
DG Peacock-T100 or dollar
Blurple Base-T500
DG Tiger-T1000
Black Base-T5000
DG Yellow-T25000

B mold quarter pie 1.png
B mold quarter pie 2.png

Or T5000 with charcoal base?

B mold quarter pie 3.png

Have two more mock ups. I really like the idea of a blue T100 chip and a charcoal base T5000. Warming up to using a yellow base as a T5.

Option A

B mold single color quarter pie.png

Or Option B

B Mold quarter pie dual color.png

I decided that the imperial blue base T100 and the blurple T500 base would cause dirty stacks/pots, so out goes the blurple.

I changed around the order too.

T5: DG Yellow base with DG Tiger and Yellow spots
T25: Green base with DG Green and Dark Green spots
T100: Imperial blue base with Light Blue and Retro Blue spots
T500: Charcoal base with Black and Grey spots
T1000: DG Tiger with DG Arc Yellow and Orange spots
T5000: White base with DG Peacock and Blue spots

Does anyone have a suggestion for a bounty chip? My idea is to have somewhat of a theme of "Man Overboard" with the bounty chip without giving too much away. I tried lots of combos with 1/2 pies in colors not used in the set yet and didn't like anything I came up with.

B Mold quarter pie 4.png

@Irish @BGinGA @Psypher1000 @detroitdad @Chippy McChiperson @Rhodeman77 @Perthmike @Frogzilla and anyone else that posted so far, what are your thoughts? Much appreciated ahead of time if you have a minute! :)

Same setup, but rotated, I think I like how this looks better...

B mold quarter pie dual color rotated.png

For gimmick chips, i don't think you need to stay with a qp chip. I stepped at gettin the qp spot with my make it a double chip and it worked pretty good.

I decided that the imperial blue base T100 and the blurple T500 base would cause dirty stacks/pots, so out goes the blurple.

I changed around the order too.

T5: DG Yellow base with DG Tiger and Yellow spots
T25: Green base with DG Green and Dark Green spots
T100: Imperial blue base with Light Blue and Retro Blue spots
T500: Charcoal base with Black and Grey spots
T1000: DG Tiger with DG Arc Yellow and Orange spots
T5000: White base with DG Peacock and Blue spots

Does anyone have a suggestion for a bounty chip? My idea is to have somewhat of a theme of "Man Overboard" with the bounty chip without giving too much away. I tried lots of combos with 1/2 pies in colors not used in the set yet and didn't like anything I came up with.

View attachment 453627

@Irish @BGinGA @Psypher1000 @detroitdad @Chippy McChiperson @Rhodeman77 @Perthmike @Frogzilla and anyone else that posted so far, what are your thoughts? Much appreciated ahead of time if you have a minute! :)

greens and blues run very close in colors and can have dirty stack issues too.

I can see issues with the blue chip with both the green and charcoal chips. This is going to be very difficult to do. Selecting the right base color to give you more contrast is key here.

View attachment 453628

As much as I like each chip in this lineup, I would tend to agree with:

I can see issues with the blue chip with both the green and charcoal chips. This is going to be very difficult to do. Selecting the right base color to give you more contrast is key here.

Green / imperial blue / charcoal as base colors - especially in back to back to back denoms, may be an issue (maybe even moreso because they're not "standard" colors for those denoms). That was one of the reasons I always had stuck with black as the base instead of charcoal. One way to mix it up a bit would be to make light blue the base with imperial & retro blue as the spots to give more contrast between the others. I would also recommend you put the darker spot on the same side of each chip for consistency.

Some more of my 2¢:
  • Personally I would avoid using the same color on any 2 chips. The T5 and T1k may never be on the table at the same time, but I'd swap out the DG tiger in the T1k for something else. Butterscotch or light chocolate.
  • Got my color samples out, I'd consider using light green instead of DG green, makes for a nice minty chip
  • In keeping with the darker / lighter spot trend, I'd consider using a maroon spot on the DG tiger base chip (similar to Chippy's quarters posted earlier)
  • I'd avoid another "bluish" chip for the T5k. Maybe red/pink or purple/pink with the white base

1588771374280.png

I’d love to do a quarter pie set! I think I mocked up 8 or 9 different versions in the chip design tool.

For a three-color green, I’d definitely use green as the base, with retro green and DG green as the spots.

I agree with this. In getting out my samples yesterday the imperial blue and green looked OK, but in great light. Not sure how they'd blend together in lower light. I'm thinking that I'll go back to black as the base color for the T500 to offer more contrast between that and the green and blue before and the orange after.

As much as I like each chip in this lineup, I would tend to agree with:

Green / imperial blue / charcoal as base colors - especially in back to back to back denoms, may be an issue (maybe even moreso because they're not "standard" colors for those denoms). That was one of the reasons I always had stuck with black as the base instead of charcoal. One way to mix it up a bit would be to make light blue the base with imperial & retro blue as the spots to give more contrast between the others. I would also recommend you put the darker spot on the same side of each chip for consistency.

Some more of my 2¢:
  • Personally I would avoid using the same color on any 2 chips. The T5 and T1k may never be on the table at the same time, but I'd swap out the DG tiger in the T1k for something else. Butterscotch or light chocolate.
  • Got my color samples out, I'd consider using light green instead of DG green, makes for a nice minty chip
  • In keeping with the darker / lighter spot trend, I'd consider using a maroon spot on the DG tiger base chip (similar to Chippy's quarters posted earlier)
  • I'd avoid another "bluish" chip for the T5k. Maybe red/pink or purple/pink with the white base

View attachment 453711
Going with a light blue base for the T100 and going back to black for T500 would eliminate quite a bit of concern for dirty stacks. I will take a look at my color samples when I get home, but I don't believe that a color combo of green, light blue, and black would cause any dirty stack or pot issues.

I like the second T5000 option you mocked up! Agree with the T5 edge spots. I initially had butterscotch and yellow as the spot colors on a DG yellow base. Should have just trusted my instincts there and left it alone.

I like the idea of some kind of red on the T1000 chip, I'm just not sure maroon is the right shade of red. Don't want to go too bright though if I'm utilizing DG pink and lavender spots on the T5000.

View attachment 453628
To be honest, this is a big move in the wrong direction from the OP. 3 color QP tournament set is going to be a tough set to do on CPC's palette. It's a very hard one to get right. Similar to the Paulson 8v's, in stacks, every color is a base color. To make it work, you're going to have to:
1) Have your chips vary widely light to dark
2) Use very distinct colors between chips
3) Have more or less similar colors/tones in the same chip (so you're differentiating 6 colors and not 18)

You have major dirty stack issues with 1/5 and 3/6
You have some minor dirty stack issues with 2/3/4

I don't know if this is even possible to get right with 6 distinct chips, you probably can do max 5, and also make sure that #1 and #5 never in play together

To be honest, this is a big move in the wrong direction from the OP. 3 color QP tournament set is going to be a tough set to do on CPC's palette. It's a very hard one to get right. Similar to the Paulson 8v's, in stacks, every color is a base color. To make it work, you're going to have to:
1) Have your chips vary widely light to dark
2) Use very distinct colors between chips
3) Have more or less similar colors/tones in the same chip (so you're differentiating 6 colors and not 18)

You have major dirty stack issues with 1/5 and 3/6
You have some minor dirty stack issues with 2/3/4

I don't know if this is even possible to get right with 6 distinct chips, you probably can do max 5, and also make sure that #1 and #5 never in play together
The T5 and T1000 will never be in play at the same time. If going with a T5 base tourney, the highest chip in play will likely be the T500.

I only otherwise plan to use the T5 chips as "cash" chips when we play progressive bounty tourneys.

For the T5, I'm going to go back to yellow and butterscotch spots with a DG Yellow base.

For the T1000, I'm debating whether to use a red spot or not as @Irish suggested. I think I may be able to get away with a dark orange spot with the arc yellow spot on the DG Tiger chip. My concern is that red would clash too much with the T500 black chip and T5000 white chip with DG pink and lavender spots.

Going with a lighter blue for the T100 base and going from charcoal to a black base with the T500 fixes a lot of the dirty stack issues in the middle of the set.

I will get my samples out again tonight and post a pic of the chip base colors together.

Dual spot 1/4 pies are going to be difficult, but I think I can pull it off.

Ok, did a bit more tinkering and got the samples out, and took some photos. Here's what I learned:

My current plan for the T5 doesn't look like it's going to work. There isn't enough of contrast between the yellow and butterscotch to make it viable. If I'm going to use the DG Yellow based chip very rarely as a T5, or more likely as a nickel in a cash game if I flex the set that way or as "cash" for a progressive bounty tournament, I think I'm best off making the chip solid with no edge spots. I tried retro red and DG peach spots as well, but there's major dirty stack issues with the T1000. Going to accept my limitations here and cut bait, I think.

20200506_220557.jpg

Blegh...

20200506_221123.jpg
20200506_221238.jpg

T25 per @Irish 's recommendations with the light green spot instead of DG Green contrasts really nicely with the opposite dark green spot. I think I'm going to leave it as is.

20200506_220635.jpg

T100 also looks better with light blue as the base. Imperial blue and retro blue spots looks like a winning combo.
20200506_220710.jpg

T500 is what it is. Since the set is going to have somewhat of a boat theme, I wanted the workhorse T100 to be blue instead of black. Not much else I can do here besides black base with gray and charcoal spots, but it's still a beauty and gives way nicely to the T1000.
20200506_220736.jpg

T1000, despite recommendations from others to add a red spot, I think the DG orange works really nicely here with the DG Arc Yellow. I think that's a winner.
20200506_220754.jpg

T5000 got interesting. The T100 with light blue base and T5000 with white base, interestingly enough, didn't look too different under poor lighting. The bright white contrasts much nicely from the T100 and among the whole set overall. The surcharge faced with going with bright white versus regular white will be offset by not adding edge spots to the T5 chip, and then some.

20200506_220828.jpg

With the bright white

20200506_220217.jpg

Set with regular white

Versus

20200506_220238.jpg

With the bright white

I think this might be very close to what I ultimately go with, but if anyone has any other suggestions, especially for a bounty chip or for an edge spot for the T5 DG Yellow chip, I'm still all ears! Thanks for all of your suggestions and input!

B mold dual color 4.png

Last edited:
Getting warmer I think except for the bounty that's in the foreground. I decided that I don't want just a plain T5, so I made it a dual color quarter pie. I still really like my "man overboard" idea for the bounty, but I'm not sure what colors would go with that. I really don't want to use blue or green again but those go best with the motif for the set. Any ideas folks?

B mold dual color 5.png

I'm buzzed browsing PCF and I came across @toad94 's plain, textured mold set. The quarter pie dimes made for that set looked really good. I thought my heart was set on the B-mold, now I'm not so sure. Uh oh....

Plain Mold Rahway River 1.png

Also changed the DG Pink spot on the T5000 to Mandarin Red. Better now or the way it was?

Still taking ideas for a bounty chip :whistle: :whistling:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom