CPC General discussion thread (20 Viewers)

Question for those of you who have added on to existing sets. How's the consistency of colors from two different production runs? If I'm buying a forever set, should I get all the chips I possibly think I might need, or is it OK to just get about what I need right now and in the near future, then add on later if my games grow?

I'll be able to tell you in few weeks / months.
I was in the prev. Diecar and will be in the next run for an addon.

Question for those of you who have added on to existing sets. How's the consistency of colors from two different production runs? If I'm buying a forever set, should I get all the chips I possibly think I might need, or is it OK to just get about what I need right now and in the near future, then add on later if my games grow?
I’ve added on 3 times. Couldn’t tell you which chips are original vs add-on based on looks alone (the originals are a tiny bit more worn).

Try and get all the chips you will need for the set, there are color differences. Not a deal breaker for me but still wish I ordered all at once. I’ve done this on several sets from CPC
8BA48993-DB09-4715-882D-0DE9B63E6E37.jpeg

Last year, I added on to my Dragons to facilitate another table. For this I increased the count of my green 25's. I found there was ZERO disparity between the newly produced chips and those that were initially made back in 2018. They're all mixed in together now, and there's no way to tell them apart.

I'll have another example in a few months given I've added onto my CSQ set, expanding an existing denom.

Some colors, like Dayglo Saturn have changed dramatically, while others have not changed at all.

I would recommend getting more than you need now though. Chip-making is an art. When the equipment was bought from ASM Maine, the chips were absolute crap. It wasn't until David bought the equipment back and brought Jim Blanchard out of retirement that CPC (renamed because the ASM name was ruined by the ASM Vegas days) made great chips possible again.

There is no guarentee that CPC will continue to exist in 5 years, or if the mold you select will still be usable. The cups wear out with use and are virtually irreplaceable. Some old molds have never returned because the financial outlay is such that CPC will not humor efforts.

How many people regret not getting BCC's or TRK's when they were available? It is best to view CPC chips as a limited time offer. Get them while you still can.

I would get all you need now. That’s the smart move to match.

That said I’m adding on to my tournament set this run and hoping it’s pretty close
Try and get all the chips you will need for the set, there are color differences. Not a deal breaker for me but still wish I ordered all at once. I’ve done this on several sets from CPC
View attachment 1075406
Just to be clear, I'm definitely purchasing a large set from the get go. I don't even host very often right at this moment, but I'm moving soon and my new home will have dedicated poker space. I'm planning to buy enough for two tables at the stakes I currently play, and enough to move up a little in stakes. So what I'm saying is, should I buy chips anticipating I might go from my current 0.25/0.50 games to a possible $2/$5 game 5 years from now? It sounds like based on other comments here from some who have added on that it would be silly to buy for a game I may never play, and that if I do need to add on, the color matching should still get pretty close. It's mostly the higher denoms I'm thinking about. I'm definitely getting enough quarters, dollars and $5s to handle two tables up to 0.50/$1 and probably even $1/$2. I just know that right away I may not get $100s into play at all, so it seems unnecessary to get more than a couple of barrels when I may never need more than that. But then again, it's only another $180 to get a full rack instead of just two barrels. So why not...

Is there a good active thread for discussing how many chips are needed for games at certain stakes? Or should I just start a new one for my own specific needs? I don't want to do that in this thread.

Is there a good active thread for discussing how many chips are needed for games at certain stakes? Or should I just start a new one for my own specific needs? I don't want to do that in this thread.
I know you're not a new member but this was helpful to me. Adjust as you'd like; my game preferred 200x of the fracs instead of suggested 100. Some good suggestions below the main post, and the main has been updated a few times with suggestions.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ut-a-cash-game-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/

So what I'm saying is, should I buy chips anticipating I might go from my current 0.25/0.50 games to a possible $2/$5 game 5 years from now?........

.......So why not...

You're asking chippers.... if you should get moar chips??!! ;)

In all seriousness, we've all seen that about everything has drastically risen in cost these passed months/years. CPC's custom chip prices are no exception. The latter is understandable given they need to be able to keep the lights on. If the likelihood is you ARE going to add on to the set, there's some logic in just getting them all up front and save a few dollars.

Other concerns are waiting on molds and production time. If I have to wait months for chips, I'd rather only do it once.

Given these factors, if it was me I'd lean toward accounting for growth in my game(s) and thus oversizing/over-denoming the set. The convenience of making a given set more robust at the get-go could be realized the moment in a given session where someone suggests, "hey, let's raise the blinds and max buy-in to... ". The ability to say "ok, let's do it" obviously has value compared to "this set won't really support that".

I'd recommend ordering everything at once as you may not have the same blanks/molds to choose from down the road. I have seen mem ers post chips that have honestly good/perfect color matches but still I'd be worried about the blank availability and/or its materal/weight changing from production lot to lot.

Just to be clear, I'm definitely purchasing a large set from the get go. I don't even host very often right at this moment, but I'm moving soon and my new home will have dedicated poker space. I'm planning to buy enough for two tables at the stakes I currently play, and enough to move up a little in stakes. So what I'm saying is, should I buy chips anticipating I might go from my current 0.25/0.50 games to a possible $2/$5 game 5 years from now? It sounds like based on other comments here from some who have added on that it would be silly to buy for a game I may never play, and that if I do need to add on, the color matching should still get pretty close. It's mostly the higher denoms I'm thinking about. I'm definitely getting enough quarters, dollars and $5s to handle two tables up to 0.50/$1 and probably even $1/$2. I just know that right away I may not get $100s into play at all, so it seems unnecessary to get more than a couple of barrels when I may never need more than that. But then again, it's only another $180 to get a full rack instead of just two barrels. So why not...

Get the full rack of $100’s (and a barrel of $500’s as well)! You never know what the future hold for your game or for CPC. There could be a major fire and all the equipment is lost. The mold could become damaged.

Ten years ago my group was mostly 25/50c. Now it is $1/2 to $2/5.

When I bought my PCA set I bought the cheaper primary $100 because I didn’t think they would ever get in play. We now I use plenty of $100’s and it cost me a lot more money to upgrade to the secondary $100 than the $2/chip they would have cost me when I bought the rest of the set.

Get the full rack of $100’s (and a barrel of $500’s as well)! You never know what the future hold for your game or for CPC. There could be a major fire and all the equipment is lost. The mold could become damaged.

Ten years ago my group was mostly 25/50c. Now it is $1/2 to $2/5.

When I bought my PCA set I bought the cheaper primary $100 because I didn’t think they would ever get in play. We now I use plenty of $100’s and it cost me a lot more money to upgrade to the secondary $100 than the $2/chip they would have cost me when I bought the rest of the set.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Right now, even though I'm an older guy, I've only been playing poker regularly for about a year. Currently about twice a month, but when I move to my new home with dedicated poker space, and I start hosting, that may eventually grow to 2-3 times a week. I can definitely imagine my 0.25/0.50 games growing to $1/2 within a year, and who knows how long until I'll want to play $2/5, at least once in awhile.

The plan I have right now is plenty of $1s and $5s for two tables and $20s as my value chip, with $100s and a barrel of $500s behind. That's 20Gs bank just in those two chips that I may never use. I like $20s with my current micro stakes games, but I realize that if I grow to $2/5 then I'm going to want $25s which I think most prefer using over $20s at those stakes. So I will probably get everything I need for my small stakes games, plus the two big denoms. Then, if I ever do grow to regular $2/5 or bigger games, I can add on with a completely different denomination - a couple racks of $25s. So then I would have no issues with matching colors. And even if I need another rack of $100s, that's a black chip, so probably less of an issue with matching colors.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Right now, even though I'm an older guy, I've only been playing poker regularly for about a year. Currently about twice a month, but when I move to my new home with dedicated poker space, and I start hosting, that may eventually grow to 2-3 times a week. I can definitely imagine my 0.25/0.50 games growing to $1/2 within a year, and who knows how long until I'll want to play $2/5, at least once in awhile.

The plan I have right now is plenty of $1s and $5s for two tables and $20s as my value chip, with $100s and a barrel of $500s behind. That's 20Gs bank just in those two chips that I may never use. I like $20s with my current micro stakes games, but I realize that if I grow to $2/5 then I'm going to want $25s which I think most prefer using over $20s at those stakes. So I will probably get everything I need for my small stakes games, plus the two big denoms. Then, if I ever do grow to regular $2/5 or bigger games, I can add on with a completely different denomination - a couple racks of $25s. So then I would have no issues with matching colors. And even if I need another rack of $100s, that's a black chip, so probably less of an issue with matching colors.
Agree on getting $25’s as well for the move to $1/2+. Most people that play those size games are used to a $25. When I ordered my first set I went with a $20 chip because we played mostly small stakes. When I tried it with a group that only played $2/5 they were not well received. Many bet sizing mistakes were made. So I added a $25 chip as well for games with no fracs in play.

E158ADCE-497C-45E2-A0DD-11DC0F14AC65.jpeg

Agree on getting $25’s as well for the move to $1/2+. Most people that play those size games are used to a $25. When I ordered my first set I went with a $20 chip because we played mostly small stakes. When I tried it with a group that only played $2/5 they were not well received. Many bet sizing mistakes were made. So I added a $25 chip as well for games with no fracs in play.

View attachment 1075500
Yeah, that is really my biggest question. Do i get $25s right away, or wait to see if the game grows and I really need them. Because I definitely prefer the $20 chips with my smaller stakes. I'm also going to get tons of $5s and a rack of hundos, so initially if I have players who just hate the $20s, we'll just use a butt-load of $5s and some hundos for value chips. Skip the $20s completely until I can get some $25s.

I added on to my tourney set recently. I couldn't notice any difference in base color, spots, or quality in any way.

It really depends on the color, but the safest approach would obviously be to get everything at once. I've had three different times where I've placed add-ons, two of those three you can't tell the difference between lots. One was an add-on to a much older set with DG colors, and that was noticeable (so much that I just ordered more of those chips such that I replaced all the chips for a given denom)

1612226092150.png

1612226104685.png

The DG colors seem to have the biggest chance for variation, but even those have stabilized in recent years. But you never really know - all it takes is for some base raw materials to become unavailable, and you could get a change.

If anything, I would only "plan" for an add-on of a different denom down the road, such that the color doesn't matter.

It really depends on the color, but the safest approach would obviously be to get everything at once. I've had three different times where I've placed add-ons, two of those three you can't tell the difference between lots. One was an add-on to a much older set with DG colors, and that was noticeable (so much that I just ordered more of those chips such that I replaced all the chips for a given denom)

View attachment 1075606

View attachment 1075607

The DG colors seem to have the biggest chance for variation, but even those have stabilized in recent years. But you never really know - all it takes is for some base raw materials to become unavailable, and you could get a change.

If anything, I would only "plan" for an add-on of a different denom down the road, such that the color doesn't matter.
I've noticed this as well. What's coming out of the factory in regards to chips with DG bases is much more vibrant than years ago, so much so that the factory color samples of DG chips from 2017 that I have is much darker than what I actually got. Not a bad thing for me but if you're considering a CPC set now, make sure you get an up to date sample from CPC when weighing your options.

I think the older colours see little to no change and as others have said it's the dayglow that have changed in recent years. I wouldn't worry for spot colours but if you have any DG base then order all that you want now.

You could also not worry about the higher denoms now - don't bother getting 100s, you currently don't need them but if in 3-4 years you need then, you can order. I think you'd be pissed if you ordered a rack of hundos, never used them and then ordered another rack in 3-4 years when you need them and the colour was vastly different. Same for your 25s.

For numbers, realistically are you gonna have two tales at nickel and dime? I would get the standard 100/200/200/80/20 for a single table set and then add on the same for 2 tables but a denom higher without the extra rack of quarters:

5/10c single table:
100x 5c
200x 25c
200x $1
80x $5
20x $20

25c/50c single table add on:
120x $5
80x $20
20x $100

Second 25c/50c table:
already have enough quarters
200x $1
200x $5
80x $20
20x $100

Total:
100x 5c
200x 25c
400x $1
400x $5
200x $20 (may as well make it up to full racks)
100x $100 (optional)

When I ordered my cash set I went 100/200/200/200/100 for 25c to $100 and I will eventually add on 200 more $1s and $5s.

I think the older colours see little to no change and as others have said it's the dayglow that have changed in recent years. I wouldn't worry for spot colours but if you have any DG base then order all that you want now.

You could also not worry about the higher denoms now - don't bother getting 100s, you currently don't need them but if in 3-4 years you need then, you can order. I think you'd be pissed if you ordered a rack of hundos, never used them and then ordered another rack in 3-4 years when you need them and the colour was vastly different. Same for your 25s.

For numbers, realistically are you gonna have two tales at nickel and dime? I would get the standard 100/200/200/80/20 for a single table set and then add on the same for 2 tables but a denom higher without the extra rack of quarters:

5/10c single table:
100x 5c
200x 25c
200x $1
80x $5
20x $20

25c/50c single table add on:
120x $5
80x $20
20x $100

Second 25c/50c table:
already have enough quarters
200x $1
200x $5
80x $20
20x $100

Total:
100x 5c
200x 25c
400x $1
400x $5
200x $20 (may as well make it up to full racks)
100x $100 (optional)

When I ordered my cash set I went 100/200/200/200/100 for 25c to $100 and I will eventually add on 200 more $1s and $5s.
I didn't want to bog down this thread with numbers talk so I took that conversation to the other thread mentioned above.

Here's where I started posting: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...me-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/post-2091852

If I order Selection of 10 different inlaid 39mm samples (our random choice from current inventory) is there any way to know which molds I will receive? I am mainly interested in the FDL mold and either of the crown molds as I want to see the glossy inlay irl.

If I order Selection of 10 different inlaid 39mm samples (our random choice from current inventory) is there any way to know which molds I will receive? I am mainly interested in the FDL mold and either of the crown molds as I want to see the glossy inlay irl.
No, that's why it's called "random". David is super helpful and doesn't charge to ask questions, so don't be shy and send him an email.

How do I order a shuffle stack of a particular mold? Can’t find it on the website.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom