CPC chips dirty? (1 Viewer)

jrs146

Straight
Reaction score
Hi all,
I ordered a set of CPC sample chips to try and finalize my color choices. This is my first time handling an actual CPC chip so I thought I’d ask. My set seems to be somewhat dirty and discolored. Is this typical of the actual chips or did I happen to just get some chips with dirt/flaws in the samples. Your advice is appreciated.
33B01305-6BA3-435C-9F9B-BF779ADF9A5E.jpeg
97867C93-C2CC-4F17-8D4D-16FBA14D719E.jpeg
A8A76216-E5DC-41E1-9443-274FE6970E22.jpeg
38F2F606-18FA-4F79-B516-8151438706F9.jpeg
6F07A1D7-3ED7-4546-ADA7-3D49B051DE0B.jpeg
C9C707A9-A7E0-4CB3-8D8E-71EEAFF9C85E.jpeg

Yes typical, although maybe not quite that dusty. They come straight off the factory floor. You need to clean off the factory dust. Lots of threads on the topic.

One method is to rinse in clean water then put a cap full of mineral oil into a large bowl. Then put the chips in a strainer and slosh them around a bit in there and let them dry out on some palate towels.

That seems like factory dust to me. I believe there are lots of threads on this, I'd have to look for myself because when my CPC's arrive I'm going to need to clean them...

But I believe a damp microfiber cloth takes the dust right off. And then you can use an extremely small amount, think like one drop of mineral oil, to bring out their colors.

Ok thank you. So if I order 1,000+ chips I should expect to need to clean/oil them to look good? Just want to know what to expect as it’s a considerable investment.
Yes typical, although maybe not quite that dusty. They come straight off the factory floor. You need to clean off the factory dust. Lots of threads on the topic.

One method is to rinse in clean water then put a cap full of mineral oil into a large bowl. Then put the chips in a strainer and slosh them around a bit in there and let them dry out on some palate towels.

That seems like factory dust to me. I believe there are lots of threads on this, I'd have to look for myself because when my CPC's arrive I'm going to need to clean them...

But I believe a damp microfiber cloth takes the dust right off. And then you can use an extremely small amount, think like one drop of mineral oil, to bring out their colors.

Yes. They come straight from the factory floor and have something like machining dust on them. Your sample set looks a little more “dirty” than a custom set arrives. These sample chips may have been sitting around for a while while a custom set comes immediately after creation. But yes, everyone rinses and oils them. Lots of threads on this.

Strange…. Those almost look like an older sample set. I got some a few months back and they had nice labels on them. They definitely needed a touch of oils to clean off the dust and brighten them up tough.

6DC86BB5-A85D-4531-B82C-B3AF5C629FAD.jpeg

Ok thank you. So if I order 1,000+ chips I should expect to need to clean/oil them to look good? Just want to know what to expect as it’s a considerable investment.
Yes, you will absolutely need to get rid of the factory dust and give them a tiny bit of oil to bring out their true colors.

You've invested so much time and energy into your CPC set, it's just the last leg of the race.

Yes, fresh/new CPC chips need a damp wipedown and a good edge oiling to look their best IMO.

Strange…. Those almost look like an older sample set. I got some a few months back and they had nice labels on them.
They have differnet sets available. I think there's a hotstamp set, an inlaid set, and an unlabeled set

@Eloe2000 did you use the immersion in water for those? I had read some comments that putting the CPCs in water can lead to trouble.
Not mine. Added attribution.

I did immersion for my sample set and will probably do the same for my set when it arrives. I don’t have the patience for the compression method.

On my new Rounders set, I only oiled the edges.
Then wiped off the edges with a different, dry microfiber cloth...and wiped the faces with THAT. The tiny amount of leftover oil on the dry cloth was enough to brighten the face without making them oily.

Just curious... Edge oiling only? On the samples that I've received I've always done full face oiling.

IMO that's no necessary. I oil the edges then take a towel and while wiping the edges down it naturally does a light oiling of the mold area of the chip face. I avoid oiling the inlay area directly. The oil will naturally absorb in to the middle of the chip over time. IMO oiling the inlay is just asking for trouble with seepage/discoloring.

You don't have to do either to new chips. Wiping down and oiling is a personal choice.

The natural oils in players hands will more then take care of oiling the chips, especially if you have regular games.

That sample set looks like it's been sitting around getting dusty and could benefit from a quick rinse in water.

You don't have to do either to new chips. Wiping down and oiling is a personal choice.

The natural oils in players hands will more then take care of oiling the chips, especially if you have regular games.

That sample set looks like it's been sitting around getting dusty and could benefit from a quick rinse in water.
I’m going to give them a good bath. Really, the colors look a little muted to me and the dirt/dust is distracting when comparing colors. Especially the bright white. I’m hoping they look better after I wash them.

Wipe one chip with a dry cloth and see if it looks better. Then a damp cloth (and dry it afterwards). Then slightly soapy water (and dry it). Then very lightly oil it.

Take note of how its appearance changes at each step of the way. Then decide which stage looked "good enough" to you and do that for the rest of them.

Wipe one chip with a dry cloth and see if it looks better. Then a damp cloth (and dry it afterwards). Then slightly soapy water (and dry it). Then very lightly oil it.

Take note of how its appearance changes at each step of the way. Then decide which stage looked "good enough" to you and do that for the rest of them.
Good idea. I’ll try a few methods to see!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the 'natural oils' method.

Not only does mineral oil enhance the colors on most clay chips, oiling also provides some protection against undesrable oils (and other organic materials) from entering the chip pores.

Well worth the time and energy expended, imo.

Your sample set is all A mold and its my experience that the A mold looks, or actually is, a rougher surface that looks a bit less clean and accumulates more dust and dirt. Also, a lot of samples seem like they aren’t generally pulled from tier 1 chip runs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom