Covid19 in the house. Drat. (2 Viewers)

No surprise, but I too have tested positive for Covid19. At the moment, no serious symptoms. Eyes open, just in case.

I guess this means a big glass of chocolate milk and a nap. . . . DrStrange
Take care. Hoping everything goes well.

They were not joking around when saying you can lose your sense of taste. Oh my God, it is dramatic.

Side by side, I can't tell the difference between unflavored carbonated water and various diet sodas. I get a little kick from a ginger ale and a tiny bit from a root beer. That's it. Scientific method teaches the lesson, but not what to do with five open sodas that don't do more than fizz a bit.

Whisky? Well I can feel the burn from the alcohol but other than that - nothing. Ditto the dark rum. Can't taste a thing.

I can marginally taste sweet stuff. So a rich strap of black licorice comes off as a bit sweet but nothing more. I can feel the burn in my mouth but can't taste it.

So, so weird. And yes, I can now see why my wife was saying a fine meal is a total waste.

Oh well, this part of covid19 is annoying but not dangerous.

Knocking on wood. Real, vintage wood. -=- DrStrange

Can be quite dangerous if you can’t taste or smell spoiled food. Having both non-smell/tasting folks in a house is problematic. Be safe, pay more attention to the condition of your food.

My wife lost her sense of smell before they knew it was a symptom. Considering how much she loves food I thought that would do her in. ;)

she got over it quickly, hopefully you do too.

They were not joking around when saying you can lose your sense of taste. Oh my God, it is dramatic.

Side by side, I can't tell the difference between unflavored carbonated water and various diet sodas. I get a little kick from a ginger ale and a tiny bit from a root beer. That's it. Scientific method teaches the lesson, but not what to do with five open sodas that don't do more than fizz a bit.

Whisky? Well I can feel the burn from the alcohol but other than that - nothing. Ditto the dark rum. Can't taste a thing.

I can marginally taste sweet stuff. So a rich strap of black licorice comes off as a bit sweet but nothing more. I can feel the burn in my mouth but can't taste it.

So, so weird. And yes, I can now see why my wife was saying a fine meal is a total waste.

Knocking on wood. Real, vintage wood. -=- DrStrange
I lost my taste and smell completely by the 3rd day. Was gone for about two more weeks after I was symptom free. I ended up losing 9lbs because it was depressing to eat and have no taste. No motivation to eat at all.

Make sure you load up on vitamin C and D. A dr friend also said that Zinc supplements are very important. And of course drink a ton of water everyday.

Hang in there Scott! Glad to see that so far you guys are doing OK. Sending good vibes and happy thoughts.

As @TKEUofM mentions, prepare for weight loss. When I went through cancer treatment, I lost taste and the pounds just drop off. You eat until you are done, which as it turns out, isn't that much.

When you eat for sustenance and get no enjoyment, you realize just how much more you eat than you need.

I have a buddy that used his COVID stint to kill all his old crappy liquor.... (after he was feeling better but before the taste came back of course)

Keep an eye on the oximeter and feel better soon doc!

My wife has passed her quarantine day, meaning she is free to leave the house unless she is running a fever. No one has run a fever, so there you go. She can go full party animal. Maybe even drink a half glass of champagne. Who knows? Maybe she will make it to 11:00 this year.

I still have a week to go before I can see the public. It is still a "mild cold" to me. Aside from this no taste / no smell thing. My wife is getting her taste back slowly - she can taste capers now. But not me. Capers vs green peas? What is the difference.

The long waited prime rib is on the menu for tonight. I am hoping I can taste the horseradish..

It is about as good as it could be -=- DrStrange

PS a visitation of poker Gods past . . . The Cougar, God bless his soul

Glad to hear your case is mild, Doc.

My wife and I had it mid-November. Low-grade fever, achiness, and exhausted all the time. I was feeling a little lousy for a few days, but it felt like any other minor cold I’ve had, plus, I was working outdoors and by myself, so I wasn’t even thinking about Covid. Then I woke up Sunday morning and couldn’t smell anything. My wife’s symptoms came on later that day, so we got tested on Monday. We just laid in bed for the next five days and watched Netflix or YouTube vids till I fell asleep.

I didn’t totally lose taste—tomato sauces and Malt-o-meal still tasted good, but burgers and whiskey tasted bad. :( But the complete loss of smell was weird.

Best to you and your wife going forward!

Like a on/off switch my smell and taste are back. This morning I couldn't tell Vicks vapor rub from Vaseline. Bacon / eggs / toast all tasteless. Same thing for the prime rib dinner last night. What a waste.

Ten hours later it is almost back to normal. Chicken Noodle Soup never tasted so good.

woo hoo -=- DrStrange

PS I still have to hide in the house for most of a week. But at least I can enjoy dinner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom