Covid Stimulus (1 Viewer)

Fiancee got ours today too. Also don't feel too guilty because 1) If we look at our 401ks and IRAs...that is pennies compared to how much we're actually losing money and 2) I will be pumping this into local arborists or roofers even though I was planning on doing it myself when the rain cleared. Good for them, chores I don't have to do for me.

Part of it also going to local restaurants running deliveries during COVID even though we cook at home 6-7 days a week on a normal basis.

I can't think of a practical way to disown an ACH straight into your bank account. Nor would I try to get the IRS to "take it back" for fear of causing headaches.

But I can suggest that there are numerous charitable options open to you for people who could use the money. Maybe help your local food bank. Or perhaps send lunch to your doctor's office. Send a check or gift to less well off members of your family or your friends. You aren't looking for a legal deduction to a registered charity, you are looking for someplace to make a difference.

Even if you just hand out $20 bills to the Grubhub runner, your casher at the grocery, or the staff at the drive thru burger joint, I think you can find a better home for the money. And in the process, I hope you can find a bit of fun in bringing a moment of joy to folks. I am sure they will appreciate the heart felt thanks.

We passed $40 through the window of a couple of sheriff's deputies cars a couple of weeks ago. Grins big enough to light up the day - being on patrol is no easy thing at the moment.

Find a place to make a difference. It will help cure what ails you -=- DrStrange

Over here in Canada, my wife just received a "federal payment" and we will be putting it into our mortgage.

Would love to buy chips, but I'm switching gears with my money. Pay down my mortgage. I want it gone. It annoys the shit out of me.

Personally, I'm not entitled to any aid as I am still working my regular job.

What bank and was it a pain?
our local bank here not a nation bank, we are still in process. its the same bank that has our original mortgage so I doubt it will be a pain, just had to update them with new info

I can't think of a practical way to disown an ACH straight into your bank account. Nor would I try to get the IRS to "take it back" for fear of causing headaches.

But I can suggest that there are numerous charitable options open to you for people who could use the money. Maybe help your local food bank. Or perhaps send lunch to your doctor's office. Send a check or gift to less well off members of your family or your friends. You aren't looking for a legal deduction to a registered charity, you are looking for someplace to make a difference.

Even if you just hand out $20 bills to the Grubhub runner, your casher at the grocery, or the staff at the drive thru burger joint, I think you can find a better home for the money. And in the process, I hope you can find a bit of fun in bringing a moment of joy to folks. I am sure they will appreciate the heart felt thanks.

We passed $40 through the window of a couple of sheriff's deputies cars a couple of weeks ago. Grins big enough to light up the day - being on patrol is no easy thing at the moment.

Find a place to make a difference. It will help cure what ails you -=- DrStrange
you're a good person for sure. I need the extra $, but I tip my local bar +50 whatever my tab is lately. so far, i haven't had a sub $150 tab yet ;-) even for a single growler fill

Over here in Canada, my wife just received a "federal payment" and we will be putting it into our mortgage.

Would love to buy chips, but I'm switching gears with my money. Pay down my mortgage. I want it gone. It annoys the shit out of me.

Personally, I'm not entitled to any aid as I am still working my regular job.
That's how I feel. Wife and I are still working our jobs and getting our paychecks. Ours is pending in our bank as of this evening, and I feel a little sick about it, frankly.

I plan on buying lunch a couple of days for my current job and also sending lunch to my old job (ICU that is getting really hit hard and hospital itself has been on divert for almost two straight weeks, when it almost NEVER happened in the 7 years that I worked there), ordering a couple more meals out from the local restaurants and tipping the delivery person very well, and supporting the other local businesses when they do eventually open their doors again.

Any play money I took from the stimulus has already been spent on a chip set that shall not be named around these parts (yes, like Voldemort) and that's all I'll be taking out from it personally even if I could afford it from my ordinary income without problem.

Any play money I took from the stimulus has already been spent on a chip set that shall not be named around these parts

Joe, I'm just glad you and your family are all well. That's all that matters. I give you praise and much respect for being in the trenches and having to "essentially" face this ever present threat. Tip of the hat to ya!

That said, another set of chips!?!:eek: I'm jelly, but happy for ya. I hope you enjoy them, whatever they are. Did you get ESPT?

I'm in awe of how many chips are still bought and sold. Amazing! I'm always envious of everyone here these days. My time here has definitely started to transform to more of a lurker type. Vicariously living through everybody's chip exploits.

All the best to you man! Wish you nothing but the best of health and safe passage through this thing.

Please, PM some pr0n, of your new set. I would keep it secret 100%. I had to ask, you know how it is:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I think when you file your taxes there is always an option to pay an additional amount beyond your liability. You could just return the money that way.
Can't tell if you're being serious or not. If the option is that I keep the money or the government keeps it, I'll go back to being glad I got the check. DrStrange just made it seem like there was some way to opt out which would allow others' payouts to be higher.

Really, it's fine. I respect a lot of opinions on here, but I'm not going to think about this much more. Tired of the guilt in every good thing.

.... Tired of the guilt in every good thing.
I think I found the problem.... You gotta leak in your goodthinganator. Replace the belts, add some blinker fluid, and you'll be on the road in no time.

That'll be 895.40.

I am being serious in that it is a real option, not being serious in suggesting it.

I am in the same boat as you - don’t need it, but I’ll keep it. It’ll go straight to my kids’ college fund.

We got our $2400 yesterday.
I think donating it to local charities, or spending it locally are the best options if you don't need it to cover housing/rent/necessities of course. I heard one person at my work say "How to they expect us to buy anything when we can't leave our houses....?" and I piped up and said, I think it's meant more for food and rent/mortgage..... :banghead:

We're giving at least $1000 to the Food Bank of the Rockies, and we're still thinking about other local operations that we can give. I also had the thought of saving some until restaurants reopen and leaving $100 tips until it's gone.
I did tell my wife that I am saving my $1200 for a little while longer until we know what our situation at work is like long-term. I think we'll be fine, but don't want to just give it all away and find out we need to do some furlough or something.

Anyway, I also think $1200/person is a bit ridiculous, doesn't seem like nearly enough for the 18 million out of work with NO paycheck......around here $1200 would cover ~3 weeks of the average rent........ :tdown:

Take care and stay healthy!

It’s cool seeing all the responses here, amazing how responsible everyone is!

Was a bit disheartening yesterday. My cousin is LEO out in Midwest rural country. Popped into Walmart to grab some things while called to check something out, and the place was a disaster (he was FaceTiming my kid). Said electronics was just an empty mess, and the whole place was a bit trashed compared to normal. Asked the woman at checkout what was up, she said everyone got their Stimulus checks. He’s expecting himself and county sheriffs to be busier than normal with evictions here in a little bit.

"bad" case, one person in five is unemployed. Maybe another one in five is seriously distressed. Some small fraction makes too much money to get a check. That leaves half of America with $1,200 stimulus money burning a hole in their pocket and perhaps no pressing need to pay off bills.

Yes it would be wise to save for a rainy day. Most people don't have a substantial reserve of "just in case" money. But lots of people also have deferred consumption needs - repairs, replacement, upgrades. Thus you have the electronics section of Walmart wiped out.

I guess this is how it was intended to work. We could have focused the money on the bottom two quartiles of the population, but didn't. Almost everyone got a piece of the action. And it seems safe to say the money did get largely spent which is clearly stimulating.

Lest we forget. around here a couple of thousand bucks might buy a nifty new set of chips. I expect a new wave of pron soon.

Never too many chips -=- DrStrange

We are going to donate* whatever relief money we get as we are both secure in our jobs and don’t need the money..... way more people are hurting right now and our hearts go out to them.

*not sure what charities yet....but we’ll figure it out
Just wanted to post an update on this, since April, we have donated just under $5000 to charities. One thing that helped was in June one of the local TV stations started doing a "Word of Thanks" segment, where every Wednesday the host of the show (Next on 9News) would start a "micro donation" effort asking viewers to donate $5 (or more), so we started doing ~$50/week to these local, state non-profits. So far the viewers have donated more than $2.2 million combined.
You can see the whole list here:
https://www.9news.com/article/news/...-next/73-c9bcc07a-7413-4074-88ad-f9fed07a1c72

Hope everyone is staying safe and doing the best they can in these crazy times....

Looks like round two of checks possibly coming?
Size TBD?

Trump signed yesterday. So another round of checks are for sure coming $600 per adult and $600 per dependant. Adult dependants were left off this bill again.

Will this run have same income limits as the lact one? Just curious, I hadn't been paying attention to the details.

Mod: Edited out political content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will this run have same income limits as the lact one? Just curious, I hadn't been paying attention to the details.
Yeah it’s the same <$75,000/single & $150K/married for max amount

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I just saw something the house passed $2000 but with the way it was voted on, the senate has to approve with 2/3
Yep, the House approved it today, but the Senate is next (tomorrow)........and it's looking not so good to pass there from what I hear....

1609206147767.png

1609206265247.png

The amount is still unknown. It was originally going to be $600/per person plus $600 per kid but now it’s up to the Senate...... tomorrow we’ll know more I think.

Trying to answer this from a factual perspective and not a political one. If I screwed something up let me know.

$600pp +$600 per dependant under 16. It's not up to the Senate. The $900b bill passed the house and the senate already and was just waiting for the president to sign it. That was done last night and is therefore law. Meaning stimulus checks will be sent for sure now.

The separate $2k stimulus check proposal was entirely independent and was passed through the house today 275-134. It would require a majority vote in the senate and the presidents signature for that to pass. If passed it would increase all payment to $2k per person so a family of 4 would go from having a $2,400 check to an $8,000 one.

Also, I edited some political content from a few posts so this can stay in the general forum.

Last edited:
Trying to answer this from a factual perspective and not a political one. If I screwed something up let me know.

$600pp +$600 per dependant under 16. It's not up to the Senate. The $900b bill passed the house and the senate already and was just waiting for the president to sign it. That was done last night and is therefore law. Meaning stimulus checks will be sent for sure now.

The separate $2k stimulus check proposal was entirely independent and was passed through the house today 275-134. It would require a majority vote in the senate and the presidents signature for that to pass. If passed it would increase all payment to $2k per person so a family of 4 would go from having a $2,400 check to an $8,000 one.

Also, I edited some political content from a few posts so this can stay in the general forum.
MOOOOOOOOAR CHIPS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom