COVID-19 (Corona virous) and your home game? (2 Viewers)

We had been playing 5 players per table, with masks recommended, but not required. I surveyed our group last event.
Covid seating ballot.jpg

Some players are still concerned with the idea of increasing seating, while others are good to go back to full.

Truth is, with limited players and masks worn by 85% of the players, the game is going - and maintaining a level of safety. Minnemania will be the first game I've played since COVID that didn't talk about masks, and I am gravely concerned. People have the right to make ignorant decisions - that's why I have a job. But a fellow firefighter got sick in early July, and still hasn't returned to work. He was otherwise a healthy 50 year old (healthier than the average 50 year old too), but COVID dealt him double pneumonia. Two months later he still has very little activity without being winded. Even a 30 minute phone conversation had him exhausted. The pulmonologist says he has had alveoli burst. They do not grow back.

Never.

People talk about dying and recovering, and comparing the two. The death toll to recoveries is pretty low. However, permanent lung damage happens and you still count as "recovered". If you are good with never running with the grandkids, never-ever taking a long hike, not talking for more than a half hour (in which there wasn't even a lot of laughs shared), and certainly not going back to a great job, then yes, the "recovery" rate is high.

Playing unmasked at a full table is just stupid, but I get it. I didn't like wearing a seat belt either, until I learned better.

People talk about dying and recovering, and comparing the two. The death toll to recoveries is pretty low. However, permanent lung damage happens and you still count as "recovered". If you are good with never running with the grandkids, never-ever taking a long hike, not talking for more than a half hour (in which there wasn't even a lot of laughs shared), and certainly not going back to a great job, then yes, the "recovery" rate is high.

Playing unmasked at a full table is just stupid, but I get it. I didn't like wearing a seat belt either, until I learned better.
I agree with the concern about people just being concerned with the death rates. Seems to be many side affects that linger a long time, and some that seem to never go away. I have heard there are many people that have not regained their sense of taste and smell. That would suck.

I just sent out the cancellation notice to my Kentucky Derby Poker event.

This long article goes into detail about new research about how COVID attacks the body. It explains a lot avoid why many are still ailing or debilitated months after “recovering.”

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supe...teresting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63
If I could read macabre stuff like medical articles I would have become a doctor (and would have afforded a lot more chips).
I always tell doctors, by the way, whenever ill, to shut up and just tell me what I should do; not what's happening to me. :LOL: :laugh:

I'm in the high risk category so I'm shielding until there is a treatment. I agree its not just the death risk, its the organ damage. Unfortunately here in the North Eastern UK a lot of people have become far too careless.

I was meant to host a game on Friday but decided to cancel as a couple of the guys are shielding and on top of that we’ll get fined if more than 3 different households meet indoors so just wasn’t worth it.

The schools have been back 3 weeks now and yesterday we went back into a partial lockdown.

Visiting other households is off the cards for the next couple of weeks. Realistically I can’t see me hosting a game this year :(

Cases in my area are spiking. We were averaging 400 active cases (total) in the province over the last 2 months, but we've suddenly hit 1000 mostly in the last 2-3 weeks.

That said, I watched two movies over the weekend (The New Mutants and Tenet). There were 6-8 people in the whole theater, including us. Almost more physical distancing than in any other situation during a typical day.

I haven't started back up, but the governor of my state, which is one of the states faring very well right now, removed the "ban" on 10 person gatherings a while ago now. So once I get myself together with some personal stuff and upgrades and whatnot, I'm going to try to pull a game together.

I think some "regulars" will not attend due to COVID-19, but I'm hoping I can bring in others to fill the seats. I'm also going to do temperature screenings and the "have you been exposed in the last XXX days" question at the door, but not require face masks.

I've had two game so far, one in July and one in August. I haven't opened it up to my whole list, just neighborhood guys that I know have been taking it seriously. I limit it to one table and we played outside when we could. House rule is that you wash your hands before and after eating. I send an email the night before that if you have a fever, cough, feeling under the weather, or have been exposed to someone who tested positive in the last 14 days, please wait for next month. If I find out afterwards that they lied about any of those, thats a permaban.

So far, so good. Everyone has had fun and no one has gotten sick. The only downside is that I finished down both sessions.

[...] I send an email the night before that if you have a fever, cough, feeling under the weather, or have been exposed to someone who tested positive in the last 14 days, please wait for next month. If I find out afterwards that they lied about any of those, thats a permaban.

So far, so good. Everyone has had fun and no one has gotten sick. The only downside is that I finished down both sessions.

I'm probably going to steal your questions for my at-the-door Q&A, along with my fun temperature check! That said, it better not taint my luck on the table, LOL.

I'm probably going to steal your questions for my at-the-door Q&A, along with my fun temperature check! That said, it better not taint my luck on the table, LOL.
To be fair, i stole them from the questions I would ask all my lacrosse players before they step on the field for practice. Everybody is stealing from everybody!

To be fair, i stole them from the questions I would ask all my lacrosse players before they step on the field for practice. Everybody is stealing from everybody!

You know it’s a great idea when people steal it.

Which ironically is what happened when I taught a friend the art of stealing blinds.

Another lockdown in all but name over here. Being reviewed on 26th but rumour has it that this will last until late November at the earliest :banghead:

Okay, looking for honesty here, has anyone had any cases that they think were spread during one of their games?

Ugghhhh

One of our regulars also plays in a weekly tournament league. They started playing again last Thursday night. Approx 25 players showed.
He got the call on Saturday - one of the guys just tested positive for Covid. o_O

We had just been talking about getting back up and running for our small cash game crew. This throws some cold water on that plan.

We've had 2 games since reopening in August, limited to 8 players with masks, minimal food, and hand sanitizer dealer button - all good so far. Interest in playing has been mixed, some were very much itching to play, others are hanging back another few months, and others indicated they won't be back until COVID is gone. Most who are playing are not in the higher risk categories.

We have not had a live game since February. Our crew continues to play online for now. Everyone is ready for live play to start back up, but nothing in our area has improved enough for us to give the green light.

We’ll continue to make it work as most guys are just glad to have something to mix up the current monotony of their routine.

Most of our group masks up. Very low infection rate amongst the group, and no indication that the two (of 17 players) that have had COVID contracted it during the game.
A 12% infection rate is low? I know you said that they didn't catch it at your game, but that would make me worried!

I think it's fine to play with masks and outdoors with the same group of friends. Additionally, we each rotate getting a covid test every 2 weeks.

That being said, there are papers that suggest a vaccine won't be ready until end of 2021. Furthermore, they believe they won't be able to manufacture enough doses for everyone until 2023.

I look at the level of community spread and positivity rate among tests done to get a sense of the spread of the virus in my area. I'm not going to lie and will say that I'm hoping that my cash game two weeks ago wasn't the last game I host for a while.

I'm tested weekly so I can continue working and will go to other games with my conscience clear, but I do worry about increased community spread and others being sick that are asymptomatic that can spread it to me where in turn I can spread it to patients and coworkers. I haven't seen any COVID positive patients in my building since May, but I think that as soon as COVID patients become the norm rather than the exception, I'm going to have to recuse myself from hosting and attending live games until community spread is under control.

I'm pretty sure that I had it late March/early April, but we still don't know about how long protective antibodies last even if one has had it. I would be concerned about picking it up again. While I'm not particularly high risk (in my 30's with no chronic health issues but overweight), I do have a profession where people I interact with are very high risk.

Hosting (and playing in) my first live game since February tomorrow night. Will have hand sanitizer available, but I'm not requiring masks. My players are close friends and co-workers who are holed up at home all day, and their potential exposure is very low. I would have hosted a long time ago if I could have. I'm ready to get back on with my life.

Okay, looking for honesty here, has anyone had any cases that they think were spread during one of their games?

We have only played once since March. It is still rather prevalent in my city/state. My family was away, we played outside, masks required, and I capped the game at 5 people. But two of the five already had Covid so there was only three of us virgins. Out of our standard 9 man group, 3 have already had Covid for sure (not from poker) and several spouses/girlfriends/parents have had it. It will be a while before I re-initiate games but one of my family members in my house is at particularly risk so I am playing it more safe than I would otherwise. Continuing online once weekly in the mean time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom