COVID-19 (Corona virous) and your home game? (7 Viewers)

Check the CDC or any reliable resource that's legitimate. While you should still wash your hands, preventing respiratory droplets from spreading is the best practice to minimize transmission.
I knew that coughing or sneezing would be a common way to spread, but did not know that normal talking at a poker table distance would be a big risk factor.

I knew that coughing or sneezing would be a common way to spread, but did not know that normal talking at a poker table distance would be a big risk factor.
It's true. Have you ever seen someone blow on their glasses? You can see the lenses fog up. That moisture comes from the same place as the air that flows across your vocal cords when speaking -- your lungs.

Under an abundance of caution, I'm unlikely to play in a game if masks were necessary. That would indicate to me that it's not safe yet.

It's true. Have you ever seen someone blow on their glasses? You can see the lenses fog up. That moisture comes from the same place as the air that flows across your vocal cords when speaking -- your lungs.

Under an abundance of caution, I'm unlikely to play in a game if masks were necessary. That would indicate to me that it's not safe yet.
And I would respect that decision. Most of us are young but a couple of my players have some underlying conditions that leave them susceptible to them getting sicker if they were to contract the virus.

But that's the problem we will have, we won't know when masks are "necessary". The risk won't go from 100 one week to 0 the next. The risk will probably go down a small amount each week (hopefully). So, if the risk was down to a 5, would masks bring it down to a 2? Everyone is different in what level of risk is acceptable to them. I agree with you that I don't want to play poker with my buddies with masks on, but what if it makes a difference between having 4 players and 7 players? I guess we are just going to have to see how we feel. I was thinking about switching out cards and not having food, etc, but if not having masks will be a bigger risk, then I don't know.

Using your example, people don't talk onto or blow onto their glasses to clean them, they huff on to them at very close range in order to use the warm humid air from their throat. But I understand the point, and will definitely be trying to read/understand more about the risks of airborne transmission. I am trying to understand how much the risks can be mitigated by taking certain precautions for poker.

And I would respect that decision. Most of us are young but a couple of my players have some underlying conditions that leave them susceptible to them getting sicker if they were to contract the virus.
Just please keep in mind that it's not just about you. It's about the people that you might pass it on to, and so on and so on. EVERYONE is needed to stop the spread, not just those at risk.

Just please keep in mind that it's not just about you. It's about the people that you might pass it on to, and so on and so on. EVERYONE is needed to stop the spread, not just those at risk.
Believe me, I know.

The new reports that a handful of kids are getting really sick now scares the bejeezus out of me with a two year old at home.

Listen, it comes down to this for me.

I'm not hosting or attending any event until health officials give the OK with a high level of evidence that it is safe to do so. Once community spread decreases to almost zero and I'm no longer in daily contact with COVID patients, that's when I'll entertain playing live poker again. Until herd immunity is achieved either via a vaccine or the virus burns through everybody, I'm going to do everything I can to keep myself, my family, and everyone else safe.

That being said, I'm not going to live in fear the rest of my life and not ever have a party or host a poker game again. When the benefit greatly outweighs the risk, I'll be more than happy to go back to a semblance of normalcy, but at the same time I understand that I'm at higher risk for getting sick and spreading to others because of my profession, hence the initially stringent precautions I would have in place.

Without getting to a discussion about when it’s safe, whenever it ends up being this year or not, probably the only major thing I’ll do is ask folks who are not feeling well to sit it out. I also have a fan with a UV filter so maybe I’ll have that running too.

My hunch is the hand sanitizer isn’t really that effective at preventing airborne respiratory disease, nor would wiping down chips or cards
The first game we host post-Covid will use the following guidelines:
  1. The invite will mention that you may wear a mask covering your nose/mouth. They won't be required, but I will let it be known that it is a good idea.
  2. I cook dinner for my players, and they bring sides. In the invite, I will discourage "grab by the handful" additions (chips, crackers, etc). We have 2 tupperware cereal containers if someone forgets, and they can shake the chips/crackers into a bowl.
  3. If you bring a cheese platter, also bring toothpicks.
  4. Food will not be allowed at the tables. It is already discouraged, so this is a really minor change. Drinks are OK.
  5. Kissing the winner will be discouraged. It's never happened, but a couple of my female players are really hot, so I have been hopeful. Then again, I haven't won in a long time...
  6. Breaks will be extended to encourage longer hand-washing.
  7. If I can get my hands on enough mini-bottles of sanitizer, I will place 1 on each player's chipstack at the start of the night. However, this idea is either really popular or hoarders have them all, so this may not happen. I can dream though, see guideline #5. I still dream about winning.
In addition, the first tournament will be a short-handed shootout. I can set up 5 tables in various locations, allowing me to seat 4 per table. All players that win their table will get paid, and will play at the final table for the amount. I'm debating the use of new cards/chips at the final table. It might be safer, but it may also be overkill.

Cannot wait to play a live game again. However, my crew seems to be playing now 4-5 times a week online with each other. Cash outs are a pain but you got to admit that clean up is a hell of lot easier and nobody needs an Lyft home.

As for masks at the return to the game I think that will be a bit of an issue since we are all cigar smokers. But someone posted nicotine kills covid somewhere right below the bigfoot sighting article so I suppose we are all good. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I think this is good news? Maybe chips and cards are not as big of a risk as just sitting next to someone? Will be playing with 6 players on a 10 person table be safer earlier than we thought?
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cdc...asily-on-contaminated-surfaces-153317029.html
I wish.

While the CDC says transmission via surfaces is not the primary method of spreading the contagion, poker players have far more mouth-to-hand-to-mouth activities. Eating, picking up a bottle or glass that is in a cup holder, even resting at a table with hands covering their mouth to avoid giving up tells, or just tanking. As a whole, we are a disgusting group.

I wish.

While the CDC says transmission via surfaces is not the primary method of spreading the contagion, poker players have far more mouth-to-hand-to-mouth activities. Eating, picking up a bottle or glass that is in a cup holder, even resting at a table with hands covering their mouth to avoid giving up tells, or just tanking. As a whole, we are a disgusting group.
Hands covering mouth to avoid giving up tells should be banned.

I wish.

Not to nitpick or give you any problems, but wearing a face mask while idle would prevent most of that from happening. Understood that people want to drink, but unless they're dipping their entire hand into a whiskey or pint glass before sipping on it, I don't see how contamination would occur from drinking from a water bottle or beer can.

I think a small cash game or tournament (4-8 people the most) in which everyone wears a face mask and food is not allowed at the table is reasonably safe in communities with decreasing infection rates. Areas of the Northeast and Pacific coast are seeing this, but as a nation overall, the USA is not quite there yet.

Washing hands before sitting at the table, before getting up from the table to get a drink or use the restroom, and before sitting down again will reasonably assure that transmission of anything will be minimal. I do think that it will be a while before a communal chip, popcorn, or pretzel bowl makes an appearance at a game that I host.

Hi all,

My situation is a little different than most. I host an annual all-day March Madness poker tournament on the first Friday of the NCAA tournament. The NCAA announced today that they will still play the tournament, but with no fans. I would not be surprised if it's cancelled before many of you even read this. I will still hold the poker tourney even if they tourney is cancelled.

Have any of you heard anything from your regular players about not wanting to play? I wouldn't think that's happening yet in most areas. Are you planning on changing anything about your home game due to COVID-19? I have already ordered disposable hand towels for the bathroom so people don't share a hand towel. I will also have plenty of hand sanitizer.
75% of my crew doesn't even know what COVID is, however they are blissfully embracing staying at home all day. Needless to say, our game has gone from 1 to 2 tables.

Also, I've been told whiskey kills it so everybody has been instructed to bring extra ammunition in case we have an outbreak.

Also, I've been told whiskey kills it so everybody has been instructed to bring extra ammunition in case we have an outbreak.

If that is an excuse to down more shots, whiskey won't kill the virus once it is already inside you but since you said that "75% of my crew doesn't even know what COVID is ", it is probably opportune to let the boys entertain the fiction so they haul in a keg or two and let the free liquor flow

Just make sure none of them get any Trumpian bright idea of ingesting bleach :D

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/sci...-could-kill-coronavirus-drinking-it-wont-work

Is covid over now?
It's the cyclical nature of the media. Find something else to beat us over the head with until the next big story comes along.

Make no mistake, the virus is still out there. There's no doubt in my mind that there will be spikes in cases in all of the cities where large protests took place, but I don't think that the spike is going to be as profound as you may think.

There are reports out of Italy that the virus is severely weakening, is not nearly as contagious, and is more-or-less burning out. A lot of the decrease in cases does have a lot to do with social distancing and wearing of masks to limit spread of droplets.

I'm very encouraged by what I've been seeing living in the area of the US that was hardest hit by this. I think we can safely start to open things up little by little, but we should do so carefully and not let our guard down.

I think there is a good chance that this iteration of the SARS virus burns out and we will not get another wave this fall or winter if it shares similar characteristics of its cousin that ravaged Asia in 2002. But I can't say that for certain.

I will be planning on hosting a poker game in July with an abundance of precautionary measures still in place, but whether I get enough of brave players to have a game remains to be seen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom