COVID-19 (Corona virous) and your home game? (1 Viewer)

Lol, just received this email, love the last tidbit

20200312_174422.jpg

Ps- this made my day a little better, I got a good giggle so thank you!!!

Well, this coronavirus mess has forced us to cancel our vacation, due to start in mid-April: a 23-day cruise from Miami to Copenhagen, followed by a month or more wandering in Europe.

Having been through our Panama Canal cruise last December with a norovirus outbreak on board, we could probably cope with the cruise -- but the situation in Europe makes wandering around over there, and then being able to get home, problematic.

It will probably kill traveling up to NJ and then MD LIve for the meat-up and BARGE tournament, as well, come to think of it.

So I guess I'll be home and maybe holding home games for the first time in a while... :(

I host 50+ games a year and play in several dozen more games. It takes a lot for me to make the decision to cancel my games. But I am just now in the process of doing so. The Poker Emporium is closed for the near future.

Why? I was persuaded a article posted by @timinater . < linked below > The math / science scared the hell out of me. I concluded the cost of being wrong was so high that I should take the plunge before it was obvious that I should. Please read this with an open mind and keeping an eye out for the consequences if your strongly held beliefs are wrong. The consequences could be severe.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

By the time it is obvious that action is needed - it will be too late. Worst case if the virus is a nothing burger is you missed out on a couple of games. The worst case in the other direction is catastrophic. You'll have to decide on your own, but for me the answer was clear.

No more live poker for now -=- DrStrange

PS some might note this is a serious shift in my opinion. I am capable of reading new information and realizing I was making a mistake.

30 years from now when we are faced with a different set of consequences, people will look back and say "remember when we stocked up on toilet paper and stayed home during the Coronavirus outbreak and did nothing to address climate change?"

On a more serious note, I wonder why all the nursing homes and elder care facilities in the US aren’t on a strict lockdown. Those are the highest risk people concentrated in a very small area. Those people don’t need to be exposed to anything.
Trust me, we are.

Source: Am a nurse practitioner in a subacute facility with long term patients, all with some kind of chronic health issue. My employers are freaking out about this.

I'm strongly considering cancelling or postponing the next game. It's scheduled for 12 days from now - I'm hoping more information is released between then and now to make a decision but right now I am leaning toward cancelling or moving the game online.

My grandmother's facility just called today and is in full lock down until further notice. No visitors, including family. While it upsets me as I won't be able to see her next week when I'm in town I totally understand and would rather they take the cautious approach.
Same with mine. Seems like they are all doing the same just shutting down all the major sports leagues is more interesting.

We just postponed out March game which was scheduled for next Thursday. Local school has shut down for the rest of the month and companies are telling everyone to work from home so might as well minimize social contact. Just in case.

Our home game tournament has been canceled for tonight. Trying to figure out if we can do it on pokerstars.
If it's a tournament, sure. If it's a cash game, no. Pokerstars takes a rake off of play money cash tables. It would be impossible to track people's winnings and losings.
Though, I suppose you could just do a flip at the end of the night for all the missing rake money. Gambol!!!!!

30 years from now when we are faced with a different set of consequences, people will look back and say "remember when we stocked up on toilet paper and stayed home during the Coronavirus outbreak and did nothing to address climate change?"
30 years from now I'll be dead.

Most of the at risk people in these facilities don’t go anywhere currently to do any of that. Most of the highest risk in these facilities rarely leave the building anyway.
People at high risk aren't just in facilities, there are plenty at risk who still live at home (My father is almost 80 and has a lung condition, he is very much at risk and lives at home). Your idea would have to account for that. I would think we would hear more about something like this if it were wise/possible, however.

So beyond washing your hands and staying safe distances, what other learnings are we applying from these previous experiences? I don’t see why applying what we know to help mitigate the damage from this one is a bad thing at all, I’d highly recommend it as a matter of fact.
Do we have sheltering plans or quarantine procedures based on any of these previous pandemics?
Do we have facilities or doctors or tests to support a pandemic based on our lack of preparedness to previous ones?
That’s what I’m saying, half the planet dies - centuries ago, plenty of time to study it and work out preparedness methods - and we still don’t learn how to handle situations like this.
Interestingly, some of the countries that dealt with SARS are handling this better than those that haven't. Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, and Taiwan have kept the increase in cases relatively flat so far. Japan just started to spike, however (see chart).
singaporehongkongresponse.png

As for the US, the response so far has not been good. Testing has been pretty disastrous and there are probably a lot more cases out there that we don't know about yet. In any case, it's been a bit of a clusterfuck, thus the need for social distancing to try to cover for the incompetence.

Last edited:
Should be available on the play money platform in the USA.

Unless you live in Washington State.:mad:

I was originally a little dismissive about the situation a few weeks ago, still am about the TP nonsense, but I have been taking it much more seriously the past four or five days. Not going crazy or changing much about my way of life, though for the first time ever I am using hand sanitizer four or five times a day after I come in contact with people or leave a job site, but I plan on erring on the side of caution from here on out. Whatever that means.

Too many people to ignore who are much smarter than I and work in the world of medicine are saying that while we shouldn’t panic we should absolutely take this seriously. My family and I are going to do our best to follow that advice.

No matter what you believe about this I wish you and your family good health and good luck. It makes me very sad to think about elderly patients, who are already dealing with the harsh and sad realities of aging, being the most susceptible and highest risk and now beginning to be cut off from family. Has to be so damn scary and lonely.:(

If it's a tournament, sure. If it's a cash game, no. Pokerstars takes a rake off of play money cash tables. It would be impossible to track people's winnings and losings.
Though, I suppose you could just do a flip at the end of the night for all the missing rake money. Gambol!!!!!

Divide the missing rake evenly?

The concerns are not “stupid.”

First of all, the concern is not just about your own ability to weather the virus.

Every infected person can be expected to transmit it to 2-5 others. If you have someone in your family with immunity issues (e.g. a kidney transplant), diabetes, heart or lung problems, they are much more at risk.

So you may be a marathon runner in your 20s who would only get light symptoms... Then you go visit your ailing grandmother and sentence her to death?

From a public health perspective, the goal is to keep cases low enough that our testing and healthcare facilities can keep up. Flatten the curve, as they say, so we can limit and manage things. Being a tough guy and brushing aside the risk doesn’t help achieve that.

Secondly, just using sanitizer isn’t enough.

In addition to the possibility of transmission via cards, chips, our kitchen counters and doorknobs, bathrooms and vinyl rails, the problem includes airborne transmission.

Sitting close to each other in groups for hours is inadvisable until things are more under control. Some estimate 40-70% of the population gets it in the next year.

So, no: I’m not holding a game on Monday as scheduled. Probably also not two weeks after that. I’ll wait and see.

Last edited:
The concerns are not “stupid.”

First of all, the concern is not just about your own ability to weather the virus.

Every infected person can be expected to transmit it to 2-5 others. If you have someone in your family with immunity issues (e.g. a kidney transplant), diabetes, heart or lung problems, they are much more at risk.

So you may be a marathon runner in your 20s who would only get light symptoms... Then you go visit your ailing grandmother and sentence her to death?

From a public health perspective, the goal is to keep cases low enough that our testing and healthcare facilities can keep up. Flatten the curve, as they say, so we can limit and manage things. Being a tough guy and brushing aside the risk doesn’t help achieve that.

Secondly, just using sanitizer isn’t enough.

In addition to the possibility of transmission via cards, chips, our kitchen counters and doorknobs and vinyl rails, the problem includes airborne transmission.

Sitting close to each other in groups for hours is inadvisable until things are more under control. Some estimate 40-70% of the population gets it in the next year.

So yes: I’m not holding a game on Monday as scheduled. Probably also not two weeks after that. I’ll wait and see.

Being as close to westchester as you are - I don't blame you! Spreading crazy fast in eastern ny right now.

This whole thing is stupid... not to discount the fear (which is real, thanks to the media), but it’s a cold/flu, not ebola. By all rights, it’s new and slightly different, but not any more deadly than a bad flu year.

No, not doing anything different with my players. They are expected to wash hands, etc...

Taken from an online article on the virus/statistics, etc...

View attachment 421744

I understand your thought...but the issue is twofold.

1. Very young & old people and people that have a low resistance (cancer threatment, operation recovery, ...) have the risk on fatality

2. And this is the BIG issue....if the peak of contamination is very steep...the healthcare system will implode (like a run on the bank)
Italy is in this situation....you a proper fucked if you should catch something like an appendix infection or a broken knee (operations).
That is what other countries are trying to avoid. In Belgium all schools are closing down for 5(!) weeks, all restaurants, bars, ... have to close (3 weeks), all sport &
other events are canceled. Stores are open but people are stocking BIG.

My both parents are in quarantine but doing well

Obviously, someone who has the virus but doesn't know 'cause he doesn't feel sick (it takes up to 15 days to feel sick) will make sure to come to the game and spread it to everyone there...
You're right - anywhere form 2-14 days. I think it should also depend on where you are in relation to the latest reported cases.

If it's spreading like wild fire in your state/location then it's smart to take precautions.

Obviously smart to take precautions regardless of where you are, but life doesn't need to come to a screeching halt over fear.

I am not playing in any home games/other games anytime soon but I still go into work and see people until quarantine happens.

Practice proper hygiene and follow CDC notices.

Hope all is well for those affected so far! Hoping for good health + safety for all.

Up until about 3 hours ago, we were going to play tomorrow live. Not so sure now. May try a home game in P* instead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom