COVID-19 (Corona virous) and your home game? (4 Viewers)

Obviously you will all need to adjust in your own way to the new reality with something unprecedented such as Covid.

For example, before Corona virus, I'd cough to cover a fart. Nowadays, I fart to cover a cough.

And these days, a Chinaman coughing is rated as more dangerous than an Arab with a backpack

;):D

I host 50+ games a year and play in several dozen more games. It takes a lot for me to make the decision to cancel my games. But I am just now in the process of doing so. The Poker Emporium is closed for the near future.

Why? I was persuaded a article posted by @timinater . < linked below > The math / science scared the hell out of me. I concluded the cost of being wrong was so high that I should take the plunge before it was obvious that I should. Please read this with an open mind and keeping an eye out for the consequences if your strongly held beliefs are wrong. The consequences could be severe.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

By the time it is obvious that action is needed - it will be too late. Worst case if the virus is a nothing burger is you missed out on a couple of games. The worst case in the other direction is catastrophic. You'll have to decide on your own, but for me the answer was clear.

No more live poker for now -=- DrStrange

PS some might note this is a serious shift in my opinion. I am capable of reading new information and realizing I was making a mistake.

Thanks for sharing the link. I read the entire thing. I'm not a math/science guy (my poker ability shows this). WOW.........

I host 50+ games a year and play in several dozen more games. It takes a lot for me to make the decision to cancel my games. But I am just now in the process of doing so. The Poker Emporium is closed for the near future.

Why? I was persuaded a article posted by @timinater . < linked below > The math / science scared the hell out of me. I concluded the cost of being wrong was so high that I should take the plunge before it was obvious that I should. Please read this with an open mind and keeping an eye out for the consequences if your strongly held beliefs are wrong. The consequences could be severe.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

By the time it is obvious that action is needed - it will be too late. Worst case if the virus is a nothing burger is you missed out on a couple of games. The worst case in the other direction is catastrophic. You'll have to decide on your own, but for me the answer was clear.

PS some might note this is a serious shift in my opinion. I am capable of reading new information and realizing I was making a mistake.
Yeah, that article drives home the point with some convincing math. We started planning a business strategy last night.

Have any of you heard anything from your regular players about not wanting to play?

I have a game scheduled for Friday and so far one played asked if it's still running. I am planning on running this week's game, but will be cancelling future games. I'm only running this week because VT only has two confirmed cases (so figure 200 actual). If it was 10+ confirmed, I would have cancelled it already.

Thanks for posting BGinGA. Regardless of the exact statistics or terms, the main points are good information.

I think the biggest mistake we all make is to think, well, I'm young and healthy, so if I get it, I'll be ok. It's NOT OK. The problem is the people you will be infecting, and the people they will be infecting and so on and so on.

If you read the quoted article, please make sure you:

-also note the lack of a bibliography

-note that the author does not understand the difference between the mathematical terms 'linear' and 'exponential'

-read the responses.

If we grant you these criticisms, do you still not take away from the article that "current" information is days to weeks behind the reality of what is happening? The entire point is to act now rather than when it appears to be critical. An ounce of prevention and all that.

Apropos of absolutely nothing:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/al...-linear-growth/v/exponential-vs-linear-growth

Do we have to live like this forever then? Humans have only successfully eradicated 2 viruses in our entire history.

Do we have to live like this forever then? Humans have only successfully eradicated 2 viruses in our entire history.
No, after enough people get it herd immunity will become a factor and new cases will start to tail off. Again, the goal isn’t for fewer people to get infected with social distancing measures, it’s that infections will occur over a more spread out timeline.

No, after enough people get it herd immunity will become a factor and new cases will start to tail off. Again, the goal isn’t for fewer people to get infected with social distancing measures, it’s that infections will occur over a more spread out timeline.

So we are all going to be exposed to it at some time? Are we going to have to always keep 24 cases of toilet paper and 10 cases of water around then?
Dammit, I was hoping that the government would have fixed this by now, and what you are saying is that the government just wants us to slowly get infected instead of all at once?

I just posted this today on our league's Facebook page :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

MGN_1280x720_00124C00-OPFBH4.jpg

We're all working from home, and we're all. neighbors, so we might actually be able to play more home games thanks to covid

So we are all going to be exposed to it at some time? Are we going to have to always keep 24 cases of toilet paper and 10 cases of water around then?
Dammit, I was hoping that the government would have fixed this by now, and what you are saying is that the government just wants us to slowly get infected instead of all at once?
Containment has failed. Slowing down the spread so that the healthcare system doesn’t get overwhelmed is the best option left.

To answer your question, yes, most of us will get to exposed to it eventually. The total number of cases of infected will very likely be similar with or without a period of social distancing. The total number of deaths, however, will be much greater without social distancing. So it’s clear we need to start being careful about being in groups or close contact with others.

Like I mentioned before, this isn’t forever, it’s just until the curve of new infections has been blunted for a while. Total guess on my part but we may have to be extra careful for 2-3 months and the proceed cautiously after that for a few more.

To answer your question, yes, most of us will get to exposed to it eventually. The total number of cases of infected will very likely be similar with or without a period of social distancing. The total number of deaths, however, will be much greater without social distancing. So it’s clear we need to start being careful about being in groups or close contact with others.
Where is the data for the “total number of death increasing without social distancing”? Is that just because of hospital space to take care of the high risk infected or is it because the death rate is higher when more people are around? Sounds like from your post the risk of contacting it is the same, distance or no, and the only mortal danger is if you catch it when 19 people are around or if you get lucky and catch it when only one person is around and then it’s not fatal?

How about we quarantine the high fatality risks, and let the rest of us that will inevitably get it go about our business.

Don’t get too wound up here, I’m just yakking around. People are people. The Black Death killed about 60% of the world population, the 1918 flu killed about 10% - and what do you think the world learned/changed from them? That’s right, here we are again, repeating same old shit.

I’m wondering if now people are going to have to sell their beanie babies to make room for their toilet paper. Hysteria’s a helluva drug.

I have been a skeptic of the seriousness of this but I am starting to change my mind. I am running a March Madness tourney in 10 days. Not sure now.

I have been a skeptic of the seriousness of this but I am starting to change my mind. I am running a March Madness tourney in 10 days. Not sure now.

I also have a March Madness tournament scheduled for the 21st. I did decide though that we will not allow any spectators and only close family members will be able to watch :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

After talking with my wife, I'm still hosting this Saturday. I tend to take the commons sense side of reacting to this thing. This is the beginning of my email to the league:

"I am not going to take the lead from the Ivy League (who cancelled all spring sports) and cancel poker night this Saturday. We are still on, tourney starting at 7:30, be there and paid before that to get your 500 chip bonus. That being said, lets follow a couple common sense rules this week:
- If you are sneezing, coughing or don't feel good, please stay home. We're doing it again next month, you will still be invited.
- wash you hands. feel free to use any of the sinks in the house, they all have running water and soap.
- DO NOT put chips or cards in your mouth or lick your hands prior to dealing. I know all the cool kids are doing it, lets be trend setters and not do it."

Anybody concerned about chip shipments spreading the virus? Maybe we should quit selling and shipping poker chips until this is over. Or require a certificate of sanitation.

Where is the data for the “total number of death increasing without social distancing”? Is that just because of hospital space to take care of the high risk infected or is it because the death rate is higher when more people are around? Sounds like from your post the risk of contacting it is the same, distance or no, and the only mortal danger is if you catch it when 19 people are around or if you get lucky and catch it when only one person is around and then it’s not fatal?

How about we quarantine the high fatality risks, and let the rest of us that will inevitably get it go about our business.

Don’t get too wound up here, I’m just yakking around. People are people. The Black Death killed about 60% of the world population, the 1918 flu killed about 10% - and what do you think the world learned/changed from them? That’s right, here we are again, repeating same old shit.

I’m wondering if now people are going to have to sell their beanie babies to make room for their toilet paper. Hysteria’s a helluva drug.
Huh?

Anybody concerned about chip shipments spreading the virus? Maybe we should quit selling and shipping poker chips until this is over. Or require a certificate of sanitation.
only has a 2-48 hour shelf life so if you magically get your chips next day, wait a day and boom you’re chips are cured

This whole thing is stupid..

I am not setting out to win an internets argument but you are misinformed. This is levels of magnitude more serious than the seasonal flu. If you don't believe me just wait and see.

However, a better approach would be to do some of your own research with an open mind. Take precautions not just for you but for those that can be infected by the continuous spread.

I don't watch the news. I have no interest in fear mongering. We have entire countries on lockdown. We have NBA (and others will follow) suspending their seasons. Believe me there are people in the know making these decisions that would not sacrifice this much revenue unless there was a real threat.

The virus doesn't really live on surfaces for very long. Spread is from direct/close contact with carriers, i.e. sneeze, cough, etc.

This whole thing is stupid...

I am not setting out to win an internets argument but you are misinformed. This is levels of magnitude more serious than the seasonal flu. If you don't believe me just wait and see.

However, a better approach would be to do some of your own research with an open mind. Take precautions not just for you but for those that can be infected by the continuous spread.

I don't watch the news. I have no interest in fear mongering. We have entire countries on lockdown. We have NBA (and others will follow) suspending their seasons. Believe me there are people in the know making these decisions that would not sacrifice this much revenue unless there was a real threat.

I think what makes this whole scenario terrifying is that no one really knows.
It may be stupid and it may be the worst thing any of us have every seen.
All of us have heard so much information it is overwhelming, and a certain % of that information is mis-information. But which part.....

I think what makes this whole scenario terrifying is that no one really knows.

We know enough to acknowledge it is serious and precautions should be taken. Don't watch the news just do your own research online through reputable sources. There is plenty of information available on what happened and is happening in Italy/China/S. Korea.

In the next few weeks I expect we can get more verifiable information about methods of transmission and how long the virus can survive on surfaces etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom