COVID-19 (Corona virous) and your home game? (4 Viewers)

The virus doesn't really live on surfaces for very long. Spread is from direct/close contact with carriers, i.e. sneeze, cough, etc.

this article says 9 days

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...ive-on-surfaces#How-to-inactivate-coronavirus

You seem to have done a very thorough job of researching the whole internet on this though, so thanks for keeping us in the loop. I’m hoping that you are in close contact with the CDC and other official entities trying to curb this, so they can get the best information possible. Especially time estimates like “not very long” will be very useful to them as they plan strategies.

Where is the data for the “total number of death increasing without social distancing”? Is that just because of hospital space to take care of the high risk infected or is it because the death rate is higher when more people are around? Sounds like from your post the risk of contacting it is the same, distance or no, and the only mortal danger is if you catch it when 19 people are around or if you get lucky and catch it when only one person is around and then it’s not fatal?

How about we quarantine the high fatality risks, and let the rest of us that will inevitably get it go about our business.

Don’t get too wound up here, I’m just yakking around. People are people. The Black Death killed about 60% of the world population, the 1918 flu killed about 10% - and what do you think the world learned/changed from them? That’s right, here we are again, repeating same old shit.

I’m wondering if now people are going to have to sell their beanie babies to make room for their toilet paper. Hysteria’s a helluva drug.
It is all about the number of hospital beds - you will hear people talking about "flattening the curve" when it comes to this. If everyone catches it all at once, not only is there not enough medical professionals to deal with that but there is no where near enough medical supplies. That will result in more deaths, and unnecessary deaths. By drawing out how long it takes for people to catch this, you reduce the number of people hospitalized at any given moment. That allows the medical professionals a chance to actually treat each person, which drastically improves survival rates.

this article says 9 days

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...ive-on-surfaces#How-to-inactivate-coronavirus

You seem to have done a very thorough job of researching the whole internet on this though, so thanks for keeping us in the loop. I’m hoping that you are in close contact with the CDC and other official entities trying to curb this, so they can get the best information possible. Especially time estimates like “not very long” will be very useful to them as they plan strategies.
I’ll venture a guess that the CDC has better sources of information than a website called “medicalnewstodays” but if you actually believe they don’t then I recommend you let them know.

It is all about the number of hospital beds - you will hear people talking about "flattening the curve" when it comes to this. If everyone catches it all at once, not only is there not enough medical professionals to deal with that but there is no where near enough medical supplies. That will result in more deaths, and unnecessary deaths. By drawing out how long it takes for people to catch this, you reduce the number of people hospitalized at any given moment. That allows the medical professionals a chance to actually treat each person, which drastically improves survival rates.

So take the small percentage of people that are at risk, and quarantine them all. Then release them from quarantine at a rate you can treat them. Then the rest of us can move about our business.

Anybody have any real information about the deaths so far and the high at risk population? I’d find that more useful than the previous “I’ve done my research and know the truth, you guys are just ignorant” posts that persist in here.
I’ll venture a guess that the CDC has better sources of information than a website called “medicalnewstodays” but if you actually believe they don’t then I recommend you let them know.

I’m in agreement, that’s just one source among thousands. It’s hard to find good info. I’ve looked for the CDC guidelines and research on how long it can live on hard surfaces, and I’m drawing a blank. Can you share your source for this info so we can watch it and check for updates? Thanks!

As was said above, I just ask everyone to keep an open mind. Be willing to learn and change your mind. My normal mindset is to think these things get blown out of proportion, but my position is changing.
Well said! It’s a tough line to report about such a possibly/likely serious and widespread thing as this while at the same time not sounding like an alarmist/fear mongerer/media profiter and near impossible to some in this atmosphere.

The most important thing is to do your research, be open to what you hear, be willing to err on the side of caution for the sake of others, and make sure you’re objective about what’s being said and who it’s being said by.

I am curious because of this situation, but also because I work out of state two months of the year, what online/app platforms are available for private groups to play online? Just for the gameplay since we can take care of transactions via Venmo etc.

Where is the data for the “total number of death increasing without social distancing”? Is that just because of hospital space to take care of the high risk infected or is it because the death rate is higher when more people are around? Sounds like from your post the risk of contacting it is the same, distance or no, and the only mortal danger is if you catch it when 19 people are around or if you get lucky and catch it when only one person is around and then it’s not fatal?

How about we quarantine the high fatality risks, and let the rest of us that will inevitably get it go about our business.

Don’t get too wound up here, I’m just yakking around. People are people. The Black Death killed about 60% of the world population, the 1918 flu killed about 10% - and what do you think the world learned/changed from them? That’s right, here we are again, repeating same old shit.

I’m wondering if now people are going to have to sell their beanie babies to make room for their toilet paper. Hysteria’s a helluva drug.
It’s the first one. An overwhelmed healthcare system will cause more deaths because people can't be cared for properly, not much more than that. Also, you are correct that the overall risk of contacting it at some point is close to the same, but again, it's all about spreading it out.

I was confused by what you meant with the high fatality risks but after reading some of your subsequent posts I understand you are suggesting to quarantine uninfected high risk people and let others go about their business to keep critical cases below the healthcare capacity threshold. As for your idea, I don't know, maybe that would work but I haven't seen it suggested by any experts in infectious diseases. Services would definitely have to be provided for those people though, like grocery/prescription drop offs and the like if they can't go out.

Not sure what you are getting at with the other pandemics. Yeah, there have been pandemics in the past before medical advances in tech and knowledge. I don't see why applying what we know to help mitigate the damage from this one is a bad thing.

I think you are confusing hysteria with reasonable caution and quarantine with social distancing. Hoarding TP, water, face masks, and demanding full quarantines is hysteria and not what either I or experts are advocating for. Simply being cautious in your interactions with people and limiting your direct social contact with large groups is being smart, not hysterical. Of course, if this gets out of hand due to not enough people utilizing social distancing, quarantines might be required then.

Last edited:
this article says 9 days

Whoa whoa whoa calm down. There is no need for personal attacks here. I'm not here as spokesperson for the CDC, Health Canada, my own health region, my hospital, or anything else. I merely said "it does not live long on surfaces" because the main mode of transmission of COVID-19 does not seem to be from contact with surfaces, but contact with PEOPLE. You can attempt to disinfect all the surfaces you can, but it won't really help if you've got sick carriers coughing and sneezing into the air and into their hands and constantly touch (and or touched by) you. And a lot of viruses in fact do not live dormant on surfaces very long, because it depends on their strength of the encapsulation of their genetic material.

I am curious because of this situation, but also because I work out of state two months of the year, what online/app platforms are available for private groups to play online? Just for the gameplay since we can take care of transactions via Venmo etc.
PokerStars home games are pretty smooth. Looking at it for our game that was supposed to be played Saturday. Should be available on the play money platform in the USA.

Thanks @timinater, yeah I found the PCF tournament thread and found out what they were using. I just installed the software and tried to create an account and realized I had one from like 15 years ago. This may give me a reason to see if I can get in on some of these PCF weeklies now!

I found some slightly less pessimistic news as far as the mortality rate if anyone wants to read. If you are over the age of 60 or 70 or are around people that age routinely exercise due diligence. I would guess few places are setup to test like South Korea, but at least a person can get an idea of how many mild cases there are that most likely are not getting reported elsewhere. I hope this is true as I'm sure everyone else does too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51836898

https://time.com/5798168/coronavirus-mortality-rate/

5e692a1554f25c710c387afb.jpeg

this graph is from the article below

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-rates-by-age-south-korea

this article says 9 days

The guest on Sam Harris' podcast yesterday said that 9 days is in ideal conditions. Normally it's a few hours up to one day.

Whoa whoa whoa calm down. There is no need for personal attacks here. I'm not here as spokesperson for the CDC, Health Canada, my own health region, my hospital, or anything else. I merely said "it does not live long on surfaces" because the main mode of transmission of COVID-19 does not seem to be from contact with surfaces, but contact with PEOPLE. You can attempt to disinfect all the surfaces you can, but it won't really help if you've got sick carriers coughing and sneezing into the air and into their hands and constantly touch (and or touched by) you. And a lot of viruses in fact do not live dormant on surfaces very long, because it depends on their strength of the encapsulation of their genetic material.

No personal attack, it just seems that you have the most credible up to date info, and I was asking if you could share your sources so we could all stay informed. I’d recommend that it be a sticky at the top of the thread for sure!

The guest on Sam Harris' podcast yesterday said that 9 days is in ideal conditions. Normally it's a few hours up to one day.

I think the general theme of this thread is to err on the side of caution. Unless this is inconvenient of course, then by all means take the lower estimate.

On a more serious note, I wonder why all the nursing homes and elder care facilities in the US aren’t on a strict lockdown. Those are the highest risk people concentrated in a very small area. Those people don’t need to be exposed to anything.

On a more serious note, I wonder why all the nursing homes and elder care facilities in the US aren’t on a strict lockdown. Those are the highest risk people concentrated in a very small area. Those people don’t need to be exposed to anything.
It seems like that should really be the messaging here. This is more protecting our vulnerable communities and limiting overwhelming our healthcare system than a cause of personal fear for the average healthy young person.

My grandmother's facility just called today and is in full lock down until further notice. No visitors, including family. While it upsets me as I won't be able to see her next week when I'm in town I totally understand and would rather they take the cautious approach.

My wife works for an assisted living facility / nursing home, they are on full lock down - no visitors, no students/volunteers, no food deliveries, etc.

I was confused by what you meant with the high fatality risks but after reading some of your subsequent posts I understand you are suggesting to quarantine uninfected high risk people and let others go about their business to keep critical cases below the healthcare capacity threshold. As for your idea, I don't know, maybe that would work but I haven't seen it suggested by any experts in infectious diseases. Services would definitely have to be provided for those people though, like grocery/prescription drop offs and the like if they can't go out.

Most of the at risk people in these facilities don’t go anywhere currently to do any of that. Most of the highest risk in these facilities rarely leave the building anyway.

Not sure what you are getting at with the other pandemics. Yeah, there have been pandemics in the past before medical advances in tech and knowledge. I don't see why applying what we know to help mitigate the damage from this one is a bad thing.
So beyond washing your hands and staying safe distances, what other learnings are we applying from these previous experiences? I don’t see why applying what we know to help mitigate the damage from this one is a bad thing at all, I’d highly recommend it as a matter of fact.
Do we have sheltering plans or quarantine procedures based on any of these previous pandemics?
Do we have facilities or doctors or tests to support a pandemic based on our lack of preparedness to previous ones?
That’s what I’m saying, half the planet dies - centuries ago, plenty of time to study it and work out preparedness methods - and we still don’t learn how to handle situations like this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom