Copag playing cards. You gotta be kidding !!!! (1 Viewer)

OklahomaBill

Two Pair
Reaction score
What a great plastic playing card. Admittedly I am a absolute plastic playing card newby but it was unlike any playing card i have ever shuffled. I was impressed with the Copags.

Great entry level plastic card. I started with them, and they've been demoted to my traveling card setup...

i have evolved into other plastic cards, which are much nicer still... I really like the modiano platinum acetates. Best card around IMHO.. Though, cards are really an individual taste thing. Slipperiness, stiffness, thickness, feel, inks, index, etc... All vary.

My go-to these days is Fournier, but I do have several Copag setups too. I think I've got Dal Negro, KEM, Da Vinci, Cartamundi, Gemaco, Modiano...

Best thing about Copags in my opinion is the diversity of designs and sizes at a cheap price. Not my favorite card, but probably my first recommendation if anyone asks me what to get.

Great entry level plastic card. I started with them, and they've been demoted to my traveling card setup...

i have evolved into other plastic cards, which are much nicer still... I really like the modiano platinum acetates. Best card around IMHO.. Though, cards are really an individual taste thing. Slipperiness, stiffness, thickness, feel, inks, index, etc... All vary.

You mean I can buy several decks of cards just like I purchased several sets of poker chips?

Not good news.

I also started with Copags, but now I own KEMs, Cartamundis, Modianos, Da Vincis, and, my now favorites, Fourniers. I love the way Fourniers handle. If you can get your hands on some, I strongly recommend them.

I agree with what TH said; Copags are a great entry level card and are what I would recommend to anyone who's never used plastic cards. Beware though; just as your chip addiction grows, so may your card addiction.

Cards wear out. The condition of your table's felt makes a world of difference. A tiny bit of dirt or grit will produce a surprising amount of wear.

Cards get dinged up by the players faster than they wear out most times. I have had decks with less than five hours play showing marks from card protectors. This makes extra work because I feel obligated to see which cards get dinged just in case the dings aren't an accident. I have never found a problem but I still check when a newer deck gets marked up somehow.

I try to have duplicate decks from the same production lot to build a merged deck from two decks with problems. {note to self - be sure not to bring the "bad" deck into play.} I also rotate decks between games to spread out wear and deter anyone thinking about bringing in their own cards. Paranoid? Perhaps, but better safe than sorry.

So yes, you will need more than one set-up even if you buy high quality cards. But they aren't expensive relative to chips. My set ups never cost more than $25 and average more like $17.

DrStrange

Now if I can find used cards....

Oh no. No, no, no. You always buy cards new so you can unwrap that beautiful cellophane, see that glorious ace of spades staring you in the face, and then take pride in knowing that you and you alone, sir, are the only one who has shuffled them.

I have a thing for new cards. Whatever.

Anyone willing to rank them? Just bought some copags. All I have used so far are the prestige bicycle cards and the regular non plastic. Looks like I need to check some new stuff out.

Let me see if I can find the post on two plus two. One of the guys there did a really nice job talking cards.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/24/home-poker/playing-card-round-up-1109027/

Above is the link. Tommy if this violates anything please remove. Not trying to cause trouble just pass info on.

I also started with Copags, but now I own KEMs, Cartamundis, Modianos, Da Vincis, and, my now favorites, Fourniers. I love the way Fourniers handle. If you can get your hands on some, I strongly recommend them.

I agree with what TH said; Copags are a great entry level card and are what I would recommend to anyone who's never used plastic cards. Beware though; just as your chip addiction grows, so may your card addiction.

Now you tell me.

Copags are highly over-rated imo. Too thin and prone to chip creases (everyone always thinks someone is marking their cards with fingernail)

I like the feel of Modiano, and Kem. They pitch the best for my hands.

A big thing for me as well are the pips and the face cards. I love the colors on the Kems

Let me see if I can find the post on two plus two. One of the guys there did a really nice job talking cards.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/24/home-poker/playing-card-round-up-1109027/

Above is the link. Tommy if this violates anything please remove. Not trying to cause trouble just pass info on.

Great thread worthy of a read, if you have an extra few hours of free time. Very educational, and rates cards in various catagories, thickness, flex, texture, etc...

I always suit 'em up after a game, and I always spread them while we wait for the game to start.

Makes even a micro-stakes game feel classy.

If a player arrives early, I let them choose which cards we're going to play. Most people quickly develop favorites.

Seeing people post about their cards makes me glad I only have the chip bug lol. I think I've got a total of 4 sets of cards. 2 J-Design and 2 Bicycle Prestige.

Just bought a Modiano Da Vinci set up. Curious to see how it compares to the Fournier Bicycle Prestiges (which I hate), Copags (which are OK) and Cartamundi Aces (current favorite, except they only have 2 back designs and don't come in a case).

I always suit 'em up after a game, and I always spread them while we wait for the game to start.

Makes even a micro-stakes game feel classy.

If a player arrives early, I let them choose which cards we're going to play. Most people quickly develop favorites.

Have to try that next time I host. My cash set is finally ready to go.

I always have to suit em up and spread em on the felt.

The main reason i hate suited speed cloth.
Cant spread cards

The main reason i hate suited speed cloth.
Cant spread cards

On suited speed cloth:

HouseDealer.jpg

Maybe it's time to wash and powder your cards?

Copags are highly over-rated imo. Too thin and prone to chip creases (everyone always thinks someone is marking their cards with fingernail)

I like the feel of Modiano, and Kem. They pitch the best for my hands.

A big thing for me as well are the pips and the face cards. I love the colors on the Kems

Like chips, cards are a personal thing. Some people love a brand, others hate them. In my case, Fournier pretty much nailed it with the font and the yellow centers, with Modiano and Desjgn coming in close behind. Fournier are getting harder to get, though, as the selection at Caragails and Trident (Amazon) is getting smaller and smaller. And while I have a few setups of Kems, they aren't my favourites. My personal pet peeve are card back colours that are too close, and can be confused (green / burgundy) if you have two decks in use.

On suited speed cloth:

View attachment 12064

Maybe it's time to wash and powder your cards?

Maybe its just new SSC.
We play on several older tables with SSC that the cards spread on, but the felt feels a little gross on those.
All the tables i play on with new SSC are way too slick, i have to pitch at like half power or the cards hit the rial and bounce back past peoples chips.

Like chips, cards are a personal thing. Some people love a brand, others hate them. In my case, Fournier pretty much nailed it with the font and the yellow centers, with Modiano and Desjgn coming in close behind. Fournier are getting harder to get, though, as the selection at Caragails and Trident (Amazon) is getting smaller and smaller. And while I have a few setups of Kems, they aren't my favourites. My personal pet peeve are card back colours that are too close, and can be confused (green / burgundy) if you have two decks in use.

Agreed on cards being personal.

Definitely each brand has things I like and dont. I really like the Fournier cards as well, (a lot actually) but I think the font of the company name on the Ace of spades, and the jack's face look funny. trivial i know. But I do like the yellow centers and the backs are beyond compare.

There is always something. For instance I really like dal negros spade pips (interesting shape), and the ace of hearts have a company registration. Same yellow centers. But I think their ace of spades artwork is distracting and the red for the diamonds and hearts is weak. Dont like the rounded corners or back artwork either.

There is always something. But regardless, I love cards just as much as i do chips!
I will collect em no matter what.

I rarely play in games that have two decks, but i do have a set of copags that one is green and the other burgundy.
It makes me wonder about a color blind buddy of mine that plays with us.

He is always mixing up green and red chips. For instance he makes really odd bets only after a hand that he just scooped a pot. Sometimes the bet wont even be the minimum amount. lol
I bet he would hate a two deck game with burgundy and green and wouldn't say anything. I will have to remember.

and the red for the diamonds and hearts is weak

One thing I've noticed about reds - the reds I like best on the board (face-up) are the reds most likely to be mistaken for black in hole cards down on the table. The reds which are most clearly red when you're peeking at hole cards look weak on the table; low saturation. Everything is a trade-off...

One thing I've noticed about reds - the reds I like best on the board (face-up) are the reds most likely to be mistaken for black in hole cards down on the table. The reds which are most clearly red when you're peeking at hole cards look weak on the table; low saturation. Everything is a trade-off...

Hmm never noticed that. That interesting. Next time I am playing I will look for that.

lol All this talk about cards and the colors makes me think about the Cincinnati Kid.

I watched an interview with the director where he said the only bright red in the whole movie was a little girl's dress and the red of the cards. All other reds were purposely subdued.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom