Considering Relocation for a Job (2 Viewers)

This sounds like a really great opportunity, Matt, and for every one in your family. NV is a hop/skip/jump to WA, and you are very tech savvy so keeping in touch (same time zone?) shouldn't be a problem. If this is a dream opportunity, then catch it now.

Any chance you can harvest me a barrel of live $1s from Carson City Nugget before you go? (Heh, just kidding, but not really)

I went in the nugget a few weeks ago to harvest a barrel of $1’s for Brie. All they had on the table were very worn hot stamp rhc solids. Not sure those would be worth getting at $1.

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dream.

Kid's education sounds like a huge win, and it's easier to move them now rather than later when they have actually have developed friendships.

I have a friend who moved from Brazil, being away from his family is very hard on him. I'm not sure he would give it up though.

I think if it was my choice I would have to go.
Wish you all the best!

Do it. That is, if you think you can handle the grey skies and drizzle for 8-9 months out of the year. With technology, it's easier to keep in touch with family. The Pacific Northwest is beautiful. And when Reno is out of water, we'll still have plenty.

This doesn't have anything to do with the act of relocating with a family, but the PNW (and near-Seattle area) is a beautiful place if you enjoy the water and greenery. It also is a major hub for tech jobs, and Seattle has good (read: any) public transportation, which is a real good feeling when you're not used to having any for your whole life.

There's music, entertainment, national parks, hiking trails, and kid-friendly vacations within half an hour in all directions, and you're close to a major regional wine area if you're into that kinda thing.

Enjoying your job is a major boon to conquering depression, so don't let the part about this being a dream job pass over easily.

If anything, see if SpaceX will fly you out for a check up of the area and search for housing. It never hurts to ask, and we're at the end of a huge employee's market.

I’ve been in Seattle working in the advertising/marketing space (which includes web/software dev) for 32yrs. There’s so much opportunity here for the talented and driven that if you’ve got an opportunity, take it. You can always find another opportunity in town if things don’t pan out with SpaceX.

As others said, the wee ones are resilient (father of three can confirm) and I can attribute beneficial outcome to the frequent moving during pre-college years (3 high schools in 3 different states) as it creates a sense of confidence and an outgoing personality. You gotta meet new people, now, and always.

Gimme a shout if you want talk!

Weekly dinner with extended family. 3 kids and a supportive wife. Remote job in tech. Sounds like paradise.

I have the similar setup in the midwest and while there are always better business opportunities and better scenery out there, family functions around the weekly campfire is something money can't buy. Congrats on the multiple offers and dream job offer.

Space X can be a hard company to work for. A friend worked there and left after less than two years. The hours can be very demanding.

Reactions: JWC
Hate to be that guy, but I would be weary of the work life balance and general sanity in any Musk sector. Money is money, but if you work too much, time is more valuable, with the family and life in general.

Whatever you pick, hope it's the perfect situation for you dude.

Hate to be that guy, but I would be weary of the work life balance and general sanity in any Musk sector. Money is money, but if you work too much, time is more valuable, with the family and life in general.

Whatever you pick, hope it's the perfect situation for you dude.
Yeah, you’ve got to really want to absorb yourself into your job to a degree. I’ve worked with people like Musk (same ethos, less successful obviously) and they expect everyone to have the same dedication to the company that they do.

If that’s what you want for a couple years and your family is behind you, go for it. As a previous poster mentioned, there are a ton of development jobs in that area for MSFT and other technology partners if you decide to make a change once you’re there.

I moved when I was 10 for my moms job. It was fine I made friends within a year or two and I ended up liking it much better. The only advice I have is that if you do decide to move DO NOT move in the middle of a school year. It was not fun being the new kid in class.

BBC7905E-E19C-497A-9001-5E80FF9A72B0.jpeg

I'm a selfish, single guy - so obviously discount most of my thoughts.
  • Kids will be fine. I wouldn't worry much about them. It might be hard at first, but once they get onto a schedule - they should coast at that age.
  • The education statistic to me is nice on a 'list.' State to State is less meaningful than actual district. Also, kids succeed if the parents show a significant interest and invest their time.
  • The wife relocation and work/life balance would seem give me more concern. Your position will likely be time intensive at less immediate pay than Reno. Your wife will have some stress of finding work, new friends, etc. I just see many things that could easily lead to resentment down the road. Let's say you get let go again, but now are in Washington. That's a even bigger cash flow issue as moving again would be needed. 20% isn't sexy with amazing upside potential, but it's still +20%.
  • Washington is a beautiful state that is very different than Reno. Both have advantages and offer plenty.
  • Having extended family is nice. I don't know how much you lean on them for sitting, etc., but that's also a challenge to find people you trust with your kids (I assume)
Depression - I'll leave alone except to say it's hard leaving a large (personal) support network. Also, things/people evolve, so that network can be different if you return in a couple years.

The best advice that I would give is that if you do it, have no expectations, take everything as it comes, and make sure to keep family first (or at least 1b).

Best of luck no matter what you decide.

Kind of surprised I would lean this way but I think I would decline the move unless they matched the money. Don’t just take the 20% less. If they want you to move (are they covering moving costs?) and bulk at a counter then it’s a bullet dodged.

Also - is it a dream job really? At the end of the day…a job is a job and what if you end up hating it in a year. Can become a nightmare very easily. If you think you will miss your family it’s even more reason to stay. Where is the fulfillment in your life? Is it work or family? Hobby? Combination? What job and location gets you closer to your ultimate goals in the next 5/10 years?

In this market I think you would be silly to take an offer 20% lower. Tell them you want to join (if you decide to) but need them to match. If they come back with less, you can still say yes…but maybe close the gap.

Long story short - follow the most money you can get with the best work/life balance.

Kind of surprised I would lean this way but I think I would decline the move unless they matched the money. Don’t just take the 20% less. If they want you to move (are they covering moving costs?) and bulk at a counter then it’s a bullet dodged.

Also - is it a dream job really? At the end of the day…a job is a job and what if you end up hating it in a year. Can become a nightmare very easily. If you think you will miss your family it’s even more reason to stay. Where is the fulfillment in your life? Is it work or family? Hobby? Combination? What job and location gets you closer to your ultimate goals in the next 5/10 years?

In this market I think you would be silly to take an offer 20% lower. Tell them you want to join (if you decide to) but need them to match. If they come back with less, you can still say yes…but maybe close the gap.

Long story short - follow the most money you can get with the best work/life balance.

I'm with you to some degree it's gonna be hard to get that 20% back without jumping companies. Offer time is the time you have the most leverage so I'd utilize all of it to get a more competitive offer especially if this is a place you anticipate working at for a while.

Five years ago I moved away for a job, but it came with a lot more potential for upward mobility/money and in a lower cost of living area. We left behind all our family, friends, and life my wife and I had established during the 10 years we had been married. I feel lucky that looking back the move was successful both career wise and personally, but there are some days we definitely miss our family, friends, and if course the poker group . We are both strongly independent people and I think it's the reason it has worked for us. It definitely comes with its struggles particularly with two small children at home. We only had one kiddo when we moved but he's done fine. Kids are resilient and can adapt a lot easier than adults give them credit for most of the time.

The upside is we've learned a lot about ourselves in the process and met some really great people who are not like us at all. I feel like a more well rounded person with a wider appreciation for diversity and individualism having the experiences I've had the last 5 years. The personal and professional growth is awesome and I'm thankful we did what we did. However, with that said I know several others that moved for careers and ended up moving back a few years later as they were unhappy without their support system around. You know you best and if you believe you can make things work without your support system then pull the trigger and don't look back.

The dream job aspect seems to be the only positive here

You're dealing with depression and will wind up with these negatives:

Lose the benefits of working remotely

Lose easy access to extended family support network

Move to a more expensive area making significantly less money

Get involved in a company that doesn't appear to appreciate work/life balance. This will not just affect you, but those around you

I'm voting take the local offer

Welcome to the 'hood! Now, enjoy the heck out of the next 6 weeks, because then it will rain for the next 8-9 months. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :cautious:
I know this is blasphemy, and I know I’ll regret it in a month or two, but damn I wish it was cooler here. It was hot af back home and I was looking forward to a change!

I know I'm late to this but as someone who has lived and worked in 5 different countries, I can tell you that the moves and the opportunities they've given me have been absolutely the best part of my career. Enjoy the ride!

I know I'm late to this but as someone who has lived and worked in 5 different countries, I can tell you that the moves and the opportunities they've given me have been absolutely the best part of my career. Enjoy the ride!
Five different countries? Wow…

This is so cool!! How are you liking working for spacex??

How big of a topic are Musk’s tweets/shenanigans?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom