Complete drill press milling setup tutorial with details and links

allforcharity

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This instructional thread could not have been better. I am so happy that @Eloe2000 put this together. I don't know what I would have done to prepare these roulette's for a labeling. And I have box upon box of chips that are waiting in Colbert, WA that I can't access until the borders open. This was such a fun project and it certainly took some patience with trial and error getting the bit centered. I was able to get down to about 10 mins per barrel and found the process to be quite soothing. So thanks again and once I get my labels made up and all of the other chips I will post more pics.

Nice work! I probably would have gone for a 1" diameter with a Roulette mold.

BarrieJ3

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy helpful thread. Are then any updates between May 10th and now? I am not handy, as in I can tighten a screw and put gas in the car.

But this looks like a necessity and good starting point. Let me know if there's anything additional you've come across to help with the setup!

Eloe2000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy helpful thread. Are then any updates between May 10th and now? I am not handy, as in I can tighten a screw and put gas in the car.

But this looks like a necessity and good starting point. Let me know if there's anything additional you've come across to help with the setup!

No updates from me. I put this together after some time and experience with milling a couple thousand chips. Not a ton, but enough for a consolidated thread. When I get back home after Covid-cation I do plan to explore milling inlaid chips more though. Of course let me know if you have any questions!

But @GenghisKhan has been doing a lot of milling lately and had success adding an x-y table to the press. He has a thread somewhere on that.

Kyle

Full House
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked already.

Have you tried milling RHC chips? Would like to see that also.

Eloe2000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked already.

Have you tried milling RHC chips? Would like to see that also.

Unfortunately there isn’t a bottom cleaning bit made of the correct size for drill presses. You could theoretically use a CNC but I can’t speak to that. A workaround is to use a correct sized Fostner bit that will leave a nub in the center which would require a second pass with a smaller bottom cleaning bit. I acquired one of these bits but haven’t tried it yet.

My other attempts with RHC can be seen here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/inlay-removal-by-milling-with-a-drill-press.51172/

Gear

Full House
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A workaround is to use a correct sized Fostner bit that will leave a nub in the center which would require a second pass with a smaller bottom cleaning bit.
Uh, that's backwards. A Forstner bit will leave a hole in the center, not a nub.

1607356271858.png

Last edited:

djfayze

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Going to finally get going on milling some solids I have! Ordered everything except the drill press, which I need to go pick up from Harbor Freight. Been waiting for a coupon but looks like they don't really do them anymore. Going to have to suck it up and buy full price!

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
Going to finally get going on milling some solids I have! Ordered everything except the drill press, which I need to go pick up from Harbor Freight. Been waiting for a coupon but looks like they don't really do them anymore. Going to have to suck it up and buy full price!
They don’t do coupons fo the drill presses, but they do put them on sale every so often.

Eloe2000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I just checked and back in Sept 2019 I paid...

EE92FBB6-E7C1-4F20-BD91-9E3FAFB0B04A.jpeg

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
That 8” one I got during their sale last fall for $53. The regular price is $75. Even at full price it’s a good deal.
However, the press right out of the box needs some adjusting for it to perform well and with less noise. At the factory, they must not do ANY setup at all.
This video is great at helping set it up and adjust it so that there’s no wobble in the chuck, and it doesn’t make a ton of noise:

djfayze

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
That 8” one I got during their sale last fall for $53. The regular price is $75. Even at full price it’s a good deal.
However, the press right out of the box needs some adjusting for it to perform well and with less noise. At the factory, they must not do ANY setup at all.
This video is great at helping set it up and adjust it so that there’s no wobble in the chuck, and it doesn’t make a ton of noise:
I’m going to give that a watch and set it up tonight! I paid $75 today. It’s not expensive or anything, I just hate buying stuff I know I’m going to use once ha. Especially when they used to always have a coupon (just recently found out harbor freight doesn’t do coupons anymore). Maybe I can offer my services someday to offset the cost :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
I’m going to give that a watch and set it up tonight! I paid $75 today. It’s not expensive or anything, I just hate buying stuff I know I’m going to use once ha. Especially when they used to always have a coupon (just recently found out harbor freight doesn’t do coupons anymore). Maybe I can offer my services someday to offset the cost :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I would follow the video’s advice and don’t use the included instructions for setting the chuck. The instructions tell you to press the chuck in by pushing down on it into the platter, which could bend it. I almost bent mine doing it this way. Much better to swing the platter out of the way, then use a rubber mallet or wood and hammer to set it.

Top Bottom