Coming soon (hopefully)! Flying Submarine Tournament Relabels [*Slow roll warning*] (2 Viewers)

They are fantastic. Give it a month and you won’t notice the labels anymore.

I love the bountys, awesomeness. Curious if you had any other bounty ideas with the set or if that was the one from the start?

I toyed with the idea of an AA gun on one side and a torpedo on the other... But when I decided to make Army/Navy Officer seating chips, I only had one side for bounties -- I couldn't do two separate sides. That's when I decided to go with the radar, which can track ships/subs and aircraft. Seemed fitting.

Last edited:
Can't update the OP anymore... Custom foam ordered.

Case need a second coat of paint, then the detail.

Chips need final cleaning and labeling.

Isles are out of the playoffs and @ChaosRock's league is over, so I expect to put a good dent in it this week...

Last edited:
Spray painting chip cases in Michigan in the fall... Falling leaves and drying paint don't mix... Kebob skewers to the rescue!

IMG_20200926_123507586.jpg

It's no secret (anymore) that this is a military themed set, so I figured what better case for these chips than an ammo can... I went through a bunch of options for US milsurp ammo cans, looking for something to would store the chips in a practical and usable way... nothing really worked, let alone was big enough for 700 chips. I finally came across an old WW2 German ammunitions box at a local Army Navy Surplus store.

Screenshot_20200927-134107.jpg

I believe these rounds were fired from tanks.

Screenshot_20200927-135759.jpg

These are electrically primed cartridges with high-explosive incendiary (HEI) projectiles. They incorporate either a DM 341 or DM 401 point detonating (PD) fuze or a DM 351 point detonating self destruct (PDSD) fuze.

Except for the DM 10, drill cartridge, all cartridge cases are believed to be chemically finished dark blue and coated with a clear lacquer. Markings are stamped into the cartridge case base. DM 11, DM 21, and DM 31. The fuze windshield is painted yellow and has markings stamped into the lower portion along the circumference of the windshield. The projectile is painted yellow and has a red band. The projectile has black stenciled markings on the body and markings stamped into the body forward of the rotating band.

Source: https://bulletpicker.com/cartridge_-27mm-hei_-dm21.html

Sizing of the ammo can would work, but inside there were some pieces that I assume we're for stabilizing the ammo. I removed what I could, but there were pieces welded to one wall that still shrunk the interior dimensions of the box to an almost unusable size, particularly with the 43mm chips.

IMG_20200728_145332238.jpg

IMG_20200721_125822369.jpg

Enter @Moxie Mike. I knew he had experience with the mycasebuilder interface, so a shared my concerns and we worked through some layouts as well as some options (cut foam around these welded pieces or just angle grind them off). We ultimately agreed that removing them would be best so I took the case to my mechanic and he used and angle grinder to remove what I didn't need (he wouldn't take any money for it either, but I bought two cases of Pepsi for the shop). The result wasn't pretty, but functional. And the interior will be covered with foam anyway.

IMG_20200728_161331076.jpg

So I sanded off the existing lettering, sanded down any rust, and sanded out any rough spots, then painted. The are still some bumps, and shallow gouges, but that adds to the authenticity, I think.

After the first coat, I sanded and put on a second coat. Yesterday was the lid, today is the base. I put the first coat a little too heavy in some spots and it formed bubbles and dried. :tdown: Lesson learned. I think the second coat went a little heavy too, so I'll be light sanding and putting on a third coat.

IMG_20200927_131404742.jpg

The skewers again are to hold a box top above the box during drying, to keep leaves from falling in the wet paint.

IMG_20200927_131424194.jpg

I'm super happy with the way this case is coming along. It's mostly for display, but also durable enough to travel without worry. However, it does weigh 37 pounds fully loaded with 700 chips...

Screenshot_20200927-134114.jpg

Last edited:
So FedEx dropped off a delivery from My Case Builder. It's time for the next reveal. I still have one more piece to the case that is in the works, and I haven't finished relabeling all the chips, but the case took a major step today.

As shown in the pictures above, the box was a little rough when I got it. But I sanded and painted the outside and had some metal work done on the inside, leaving the inside in rough shape. The interior of the can was finished today.

IMG_20201008_173207091.jpg

IMG_20201008_173242043.jpg

IMG_20201008_173312316.jpg

PSX_20201008_180418.jpg

IMG_20201008_173459299.jpg

I'm very impressed by the product. I must've measured 20 times and probably did the layout 6 times. I learned a few tricks and @Moxie Mike gave me some pointers that made the final product awesome. I'm extremely glad I went with My Case Builder instead of pick and pluck foam.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom