Coming soon (hopefully)! Flying Submarine Tournament Relabels [*Slow roll warning*] (2 Viewers)

giphy 6.gif

It doesn't look off-center
I think he's saying the print is slightly misaligned? The white ring is smaller at the bottom than the top, but just barely.

Unfortunately that is a big drawback of concentric circles close to the edge of your label. Almost impossible to get perfect. Would maybe be better with the full red color to the edge?

It doesn't look off-center
It is. But maybe not as much as I thought.

Maybe I'm just being too picky.

Incredible!!!! Amazing design, Eric!

Thanks! I had a concept. I started working with @Quicksilver-75 who gave it some substance, but had to give up the project. Then @p5woody put it all together in a cohesive design. There are two sides to the design Woody did...then he got busy and @timinater finished some bounties and seating chips for me. And of course, @Gear tweaked and fine tuned everything.

Unfortunately that is a big drawback of concentric circles close to the edge of your label. Almost impossible to get perfect. Would maybe be better with the full red color to the edge?

So when I had my custom ASMs done, I was warned against an outer ring for this very reason. But I wanted a white ring for two reasons: 1.) The color match didn't have to be perfect and 2.) With thicker labels you can see the side of the label, so a dark label has a thin white ring. I didn't want that.

I'm not throwing Woody under the bus, but he suggested the white ring for color matching. I figured Woody has done enough labels printed by Gear that he knew Gear could do it. I should've asked.

Then when the labels were sent to Gear for print, he didn't suggest it would be a problem. I just figured technology had improved since the days of ASM printing my labels. Unfortunately, at that point, my expectation was perfection.

I discussed it with Gear today and he was awesome. He apologized for not having the discussion with me. Truth be told, if I knew, I probably would've changed the design to make the white bring a little wider so a small unbalance would not be as noticeable. Or I would've done a much lighter background. But hear said this is probably the best results that can be expected. I need to look at all the labels and make sure thatbthese two examples are the extent of it and the rest are equal or better. For his part, Gear told me he wanted me to be 100% happy, and if that meant a full refund, he would do it. I do t think that's fair to Gear, but it's a stand-up position to take.

All chips will be posted by the weekend.

Not gonna say you can't tell because you can see that it's slightly off center, but I am gonna say let it go because they look fantastic and without exaggeration, 90%+ of the people who play with them won't notice it at all.*

*Assuming you don't let the sociopaths from this forum into your game.

@ChaosRock pointed out that the labels offered by @Gear have the highly desirable "Paulson finish." @Gear did not even up charge for this service.

IMG-20200828-WA0002.jpg

I know @ChaosRock has a PCF topper, but the last time I was at his house, it was still in the factory plastic, so this may not be his chip or his image. If it's your pic, I will take it down upon request.

Last edited:
@ChaosRock pointed out that the labels offered by @Gear have the highly desirable "Paulson finish.". @Gear did not even up charge for this service.

View attachment 522048

I know @ChaosRock has a PCF topper, but the last time I was at his house, it was still in the factory plastic, so this may not be his chip or his image. If it's your pic, I will take it down upon request.

The PCF Topper was used ONCE, up in Boyne, and it was perfect!

Not my pic, just a print screen of someone else's wider shot. Now, if it was my pic, do you think I'd ask you to take it down?!?!?!?!? o_Oo_Oo_O :p

All I see are words. Where are the damn Flying Submarines!!!!!

Please see the title, sir. There was a slow roll warning.

And you are one of 4 chippers in the world that has seen all the denominations. @Gear and I are the only ones who have seen all the chips...

I had to do that in purpose... I used two (really three) designers and made sure they did not about the other... This is total secrecy. It goes to the highest levels of PCF.

I've dealt with the outer ring centering issue with my Magnolia chips forever.

In fairness everyone from @Gear to @ABC Gifts and Awards and even Joe at PGI all warned me about the possibility of outer ring circles not printing perfectly centered. I love the look so I've always planned on having extras printed to weed out the bad ones.

Everyone says it adds character to the chip but my OCD rages when they are bad off-center.

OK, I deserve that :oops:

Was not meant to be a dig at you. And @ChaosRock did not take a shot at you when he pointed it out.

Chaos sent me the image saying, "see, even Paulson labels can be a bit off center."

I apologize if I offended you. It was not my intention.

And FWIW, you don't deserve it if, as you said, this is the best that can be expected given the design.

Btw, Chris, I was just using that Paulson chip example as a justification for my stance on the labels being fine. Again, just my opinion.
No worries. I've made the same argument myself, more than once, and it always sounds a little hokey or sour-grapes-ish. Yeah, these are off-center but that's a FEATURE not a BUG. :rolleyes: I mean, it's true to some degree, but sounds vaguely ridiculous.

Not at all! I'm just as disappointed as you are that the centering isn't better.

My disappointment is from my assumption that they would be perfect. Its on me, not you. I'm really not holding you accountable for this, especially because you said that not much better could be expected... As I said above, tho, I do appreciate the fact that you are willing to stand by your product and offered a small re-run of the worst labels, a complete re-run, or a refund. That is very stand-up of you.

Its starting to grow on me, although a bit ironic. Part of the draw to Bud Jones chips (to me) is that they are finished to exact specifications.

Given the overall theme (which has yet to be fully revealed), perhaps the phrase, "its good enough for government work" applies...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom