Clay vs Ceramic (1 Viewer)

ChippinUp

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Admittedly I seem to have an obsession when it comes to how my chips stack. My set of Br Pro ceramics which I purchased from them in early 2023 stacked like bricks. I was extremely impressed.

Fast forward to the end of 2023 when I have almost finished building a mixed Paulson RHC set. I have labels expected to arrive in a couple weeks from Gear. I will be over labeling the set.

My question/observation is that do ceramics simply stack better? Is this because the material is flatter, more resistant to heat fluctuations/minor warp? My set ranges from VGC to Mint(chalky, sharp edges, etc but even the mint chips still don’t stack as well as my ceramics did.

I love the look of these Paulsons and maybe im just expecting too much but has anyone else found the same when comparing Paulsons/CPC to Br Pro or better ceramics?

28609B15-1BB6-4B47-A449-29FC72AD3B23.jpeg

Last edited:
Mint or near-mint THC chips (and some RHCs) will definitely perform better than any ceramic chips ever made in both stack sliding and toppling tests, provided the clays are not warped. It's proven science.

Some new ceramics (including some molded ceramics and hybrids) do perform better than used RHC chips, however.

Mint or near-mint THC chips (and some RHCs) will definitely perform better than any ceramic chips ever made in both stack sliding and toppling tests, provided the clays are not warped. It's proven science.

Some new ceramics (including some molded ceramics and hybrids) do perform better than used RHC chips, however.
So if I am understanding correctly THC Paulsons stack better than RHC on average? Is this a surface area advantage that a THC chip has or smaller inlay?

So if I am understanding correctly THC Paulsons stack better than RHC on average? Is this a surface area advantage that a THC chip has ie smaller inlay

Weirdly I have the opposite happen to me. My BR Poker ceramics stack well, but easily fall over if tapped versus my diamond jack set. Granted my DJ set is still very mint where as my ceramic set if almost a year old.

Weirdly I have the opposite happen to me. My BR Poker ceramics stack well, but easily fall over if tapped versus my diamond jack set. Granted my DJ set is still very mint where as my ceramic set if almost a year old.
I have DJ 25’s and 100’s that also stack very well. But they are just about mint. I think my expectations were just a bit too high when making the switch to entry level Paulsons with good albeit varying conditions

That’s because the Tina hybrids are based off of the BCC (Blue chip company) T-molds that the Samurais above are on. Sadly, BCC are no longer in business
No wait, I’m stupid and am mixing stuff up. The tina hybrids is based on a BCC mold but the MGK one

Last edited:
I have DJ 25’s and 100’s that also stack very well. But they are just about mint. I think my expectations were just a bit too high when making the switch to entry level Paulsons with good albeit varying conditions
The ceramics will get more slippery over time. Revisit this thread in a year and let us know your thoughts. My BR Pro ceramics were really nice in the beginning but after playing with them at least once a month, they have gotten more and more slippery. It isn't uncommon when pushing a stack into the middle that is falls over. Thinking about it now, I should probably give them a bath which should help remove all the hand oil and grease. :sick:

I would say mint heavy clay chips stack the best. THC mold among chips I've owned, but I've hardly tried out all the clay molds there are. Sharper corners, and a surface with more friction would be my guess at an explanation. Ceramics have the advantage in not warping as easily and being more wear resistant.

In the end it doesn't much matter to me, because you don't need stacks of more than 20 or 40 when playing. I know some people like to, but I can't play with a single stack of 50 chips in front of me I just know I'm going to knock it over.

I would say mint heavy clay chips stack the best. THC mold among chips I've owned, but I've hardly tried out all the clay molds there are. Sharper corners, and a surface with more friction would be my guess at an explanation. Ceramics have the advantage in not warping as easily and being more wear resistant.

In the end it doesn't much matter to me, because you don't need stacks of more than 20 or 40 when playing. I know some people like to, but I can't play with a single stack of 50 chips in front of me I just know I'm going to knock it over.
Well I know what needs to be done. Mint THC’s next…..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom