Chip Quantity (1 Viewer)

Kyuss421

Waiting List
Reaction score
I'm going to start hosting 7-9 people home games and I've decided from seeing samples that the Monte Carlo chips are good enough for me, for now. People that I play with like the higher denominations and find them more exciting and fun instead of realistic denominations. These chips go all the way up to $10,000 from the Apache Poker Chips websites. I'm wanting to buy 600 chips to start with, how many of each denomination would be a good starting point for 8-9 players? I've seen things like 150 X $50, 100 X $100, 100 X $500, 100 X $1000, 100 X $5000, 50 X $10000 for example, what would you recommend?

I'm going to start hosting 7-9 people home games and I've decided from seeing samples that the Monte Carlo chips are good enough for me, for now. People that I play with like the higher denominations and find them more exciting and fun instead of realistic denominations. These chips go all the way up to $10,000 from the Apache Poker Chips websites. I'm wanting to buy 600 chips to start with, how many of each denomination would be a good starting point for 8-9 players? I've seen things like 150 X $50, 100 X $100, 100 X $500, 100 X $1000, 100 X $5000, 50 X $10000 for example, what would you recommend?
@bernielomax is correct, we need more info.

Do you plan to play cash games or tournaments?

I would not inflate the denom for a cash game because players like seeing larger numbers, it will mess you up on buy ins and cash outs, if its a cash game.

You should understand what the stakes are prior to arbitrarily picking an amount of chips to buy.

@bernielomax is correct, we need more info.

Do you plan to play cash games or tournaments?

I would not inflate the denom for a cash game because players like seeing larger numbers, it will mess you up on buy ins and cash outs, if its a cash game.

You should understand what the stakes are prior to arbitrarily picking an amount of chips to buy.
Right now I do tournaments with a set buy in and sometimes each player gets 1 extra buy in.

Just echoing what's been stated above, but, the denominations you've mentioned are typically reserved for tournament play, where the starting denomination can be whatever you choose. In a cash game, however, you would want your chips to match exactly the stakes at which you're playing. If your playing nickel/dime blinds, then you would want 100 .05 denom chips, 100-150 .25 chips, 100-150 $5 chips. If you're playing quarter/fifty then you would bypass the .05 chip and add more 5's and some 25's.

Usually buy in for cash games are referenced at 200 BB (big blinds). So, on a .25/.50 game the max starting buy in would be $100. As people rebuy you give them higher denom chips, say four $25 chips and they make change from what's already in play on the table.

So another question, if I was to get a full 1000 chip set, is it enough to be able to do either a tournament or cash game with just one set of 1000? And what would be the best breakdown for that using Monte Carlo chips from Apache? This would be for 8 players.

I'm not the one to answer tournaments questions;

You shouldn't use the same chips for both a cash game and tournaments.

To figure out how many chips you need for a cash game, you'll want to start with the blinds, then figure out the buy in and from there you can calculate how much of a bank you want to have to support the game. That will allow you to figure out a chip count.

Typically this break down will carry a .25/.5 game

This is a min break down:
.25 x 60
1 x 200
5 x 200
20 x 60

This is a bank of $2415, most of the time members like to purchase enough chips to run a 1/2 for 10 players with 3 rebuys with a 300 buy ins
that would be a bank of about 11000

Typical break down cover .25/.5 and 1/2
.25 x 60
1 x 200
5 x 300
20 x 100
100 x 40

my story was exactly the same as yours. if youre going to buy the monte carlos buy them and never get on this website ever again because like me youll realize you bought the worst chips possible...then youll buy more and better chips and wish you never even saw the montes.... id look around and dont get too impatient. plenty of people selling group buy chips that are great.

You won’t need more than 400 chips (and could make do with as little as 300) for a one table tournament. I only know how to structure a T25 base (smallest chip denom in play) tournament, but I’m sure someone will come along and suggest a good breakdown for a set with bigger denominated chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom