China Clay (8vs) smell (1 Viewer)

Marius L

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but I was just going through some of my chips and I am wondering how I can remove the smell so these chips can actually be used. Currently they are stored in a plastic bag (lol, i know), because the smell is really bugging me. I have cleaned a barrel of them with warm water and dish soap, and at first the smell seemed to be gone, but after they dried the smell was still there and honestly pretty much the same as before. Maybe I'm a nit, but to me this is a complete dealbreaker. I get that people dont mind the smell, or get used to it after a while, and thats all good, but if I'm going to use these I need a way to get rid of the smell. Can anyone help?

My chips in question are the 8v china clays, but I know the smell problem is valid for all (or at least most) other CCs as well. I have a sample set of cc pharaohs and they are just as bad. I have heard many on the forum complain about the other CCs as well when it comes to this.

So, what do I do? The way I see it, I have three options:
- Keep them in a plastic bag and dont use them (seems pretty silly)
- Sell them if the smell is never going away.
- Somehow remove the smell with your help. Tell me how, please, I want to use these.

8vs bag.jpg

I never went fully down this road because of this. I aired my samples out in a closet for a year and they still smelled.

I’ve never noticed any odor from my 8V’s, or the Majestics I had, for that matter. It was very noticeable in the CPS set I had.

Mine still smell a year plus later, but that’s also with many unwashed and a couple thousand being stored together, so idk (but it hasn’t bugged me too much so far).

Hope you get a resolution! If you don’t happen to, I’ll gladly add them to my current breakdown!

I dunno if “airing out” will have any impact at all, kinda need to handle them. Rinse them, rub some mineral oil, and then get them in play. My dunes now have just a faint smell, almost not noticeable.

maybe vinegar if vinegar is healthy for chips, followed up a dish soap wash

Spray them with lots of strong perfume of your liking (cheap, or even expensive one, if you have the $$) while in a new, clean plastic bag, and keep them sealed there for at least a week.
Half-joking, half-serious :). I would honestly like to read the results.

Last edited:
Spray them with lots of strong perfume of your liking (cheap, or even expensive one, if you have the $$) while in a new, clean plastic plastic bag, and keep them sealed there for at least a week.
Half-joking, half-serious :). I would honestly like to read the results.

Probably better than doing nothing! Maybe I'll do an experiment with a few chips

This thread made me laugh a little I guess lol i think the clay smell chips put off I'd wonderous! Haha i guess its not for everyone. I'm sorry your chips are smelly... I cant think if anything safe for them to remove the odor...maybe scented oil?

This thread made me laugh a little I guess lol i think the clay smell chips put off I'd wonderous! Haha i guess its not for everyone. I'm sorry your chips are smelly... I cant think if anything safe for them to remove the odor...maybe scented oil?
Maybe you haven’t experienced any china clays. A lot of them have a weird, almost noxious, smell to them. Nothing like new Paulsons or CPC’s.

As someone else also said, I don't mind the smell of paulsons, cpcs and such clay chips. It's just the super plasticy stinky China clay smell I don't fancy.

Thanks for all recommendations. Anyone need some 8vs for cheap? Lol

As someone else also said, I don't mind the smell of paulsons, cpcs and such clay chips. It's just the super plasticy stinky China clay smell I don't fancy.

Thanks for all recommendations. Anyone need some 8vs for cheap? Lol
I don’t need em for cheap necessarily, I’d take em for what you paid. Several others might as well, including @HeWhoWouldPun, @SeanGecko, and others.

Smells like....a combination of dust and plastic and some chemicals. Not super stoked about it.

Have they seen any play? The more I played with my royals the less they smelled like piss

Haha, they have not seen play. I bought them with the intention of labeling them for a small OFC set. Just thinking that I don't want to spend a lot of time labeling, and playing them (while they are still smelling like piss) and after a while end up with a set of chips still smelling like piss, just a bit less.

Maybe CCs are not for me. I probably care more about it than many others. Wish I didn't though, as they feel and look really nice, especially considering the price.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom