Tourney Charity Tourney Help (1 Viewer)

bsdunbar1

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
One of my players that has played in our league since day 1 (12yrs) and is a personal close friend was diagnosed with colon cancer. No need to go through all the details of what he has been through and will go through.
So i am going to put together a home poker tourney fund raiser for him. I need help on how to best raise some $$.
The buy-in will be $100 with $50 going to him and $50 going to the prize pool, so there's that. I hope to get 3 maybe 3+ tables going.
I am going to raffle off a poker table for $10 tickets that will be a 100% donation on my part. (Table is basically like T_Chan's basic 8 person)
I thought about buying some bottles to raffle off, I'm ok spending the $100-$150 for some alcohol but I don't know if I can really sell enough raffle tickets to make more then I will spend buying the bottles.
None of my players are chip enthusiasts, so nothing chip wise will be any good.

So here's where the help from you comes in.
How can I raise more $$? What other things have you done to raise $$?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

I have run several and have another coming up in three weeks. Here’s a couple ideas. FYI our starting stack is T10,000 and buy-in is $100. We also offer re-entries.

1. Put T5,000 and T1,000 chips in a bucket. Not too many T1,000 so they have a decent chance of drawing a T5,000. About a 10:1 ratio. Stop the clock and let players reach in the bucket and draw a chip (or chips) for $10. I will do this a couple of times, the second time just before the end of re-entries.

2. Stop the clock and auction off a T5,000 chip. I will do this two or three times, the last just before the end of re-entries. If there is active bidding and you are getting good bids, do it again. Or, if the price was really good, offer the same deal to anyone else that wants it.

Point is to make it fun. Since this is for charity, people haven't objected to the extra chips coming in to play.

One of my players that has played in our league since day 1 (12yrs) and is a personal close friend was diagnosed with colon cancer. No need to go through all the details of what he has been through and will go through.
So i am going to put together a home poker tourney fund raiser for him. I need help on how to best raise some $$.
The buy-in will be $100 with $50 going to him and $50 going to the prize pool, so there's that. I hope to get 3 maybe 3+ tables going.
I am going to raffle off a poker table for $10 tickets that will be a 100% donation on my part. (Table is basically like T_Chan's basic 8 person)
I thought about buying some bottles to raffle off, I'm ok spending the $100-$150 for some alcohol but I don't know if I can really sell enough raffle tickets to make more then I will spend buying the bottles.
None of my players are chip enthusiasts, so nothing chip wise will be any good.

So here's where the help from you comes in.
How can I raise more $$? What other things have you done to raise $$?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Can we get in on the table raffle?

But seriously, cancer sucks and I hope you guys smash this out of the park.

I would love to open it up to whoever was interested but I have no interest in dealing with any of what it takes to ship a table.

I’m just on the other side of Iowa. That wouldn’t be a bad drive for a nice poker table! ;)

My problem is finding a space for it!

Unlimited rebuys until the rebuy period ends is good. Full starting stacks to rebuy, as well as a big add-on are good incentives for players to donate more.

Sell food and booze for the fundraiser. Try to hit up friends/family to donate the booze if you want to raffle those off. You shouldn't be buying the bottles to raffle.

Unlimited rebuys until the rebuy period ends is good

Unless the state gaming commission won't allow it (like NH) ... put a $150/player cap on my upcoming charity tourney (n) :thumbsdown:

"Selling" drinks is always good. Be careful how you word it (local liquor laws).
Silent auction could work for some collectible or consumable prices. Even better if you can get these prizes donated.
Run some other games on the side for the non-poker players i.e. spouses and significant others. Blackjack and roulette run great if you have the equipment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom