Chair thoughts (1 Viewer)

joseywales

Straight
Reaction score
Years ago, when I set up my table, etc., I lucked into some Steelcase office chairs. These are very comfortable and adjust 7 ways to Sunday. I actually handed one of my players the manual, so he could figure out how to use the chair! I think I caught a player napping in one - an exaggeration, but they are cushy nice, not like newer office chairs, which can be comfortable as well. When you see mine online, they don't look like much and are expensive, especially back when I "stole" them.

No complaints, but these chairs do have arms, fully adjustable of course... I really like arms, but I know 8 players would seat better if the arms weren't on the chairs. So my question:

Do you prefer chairs with or without arms?

EDIT: as I was typing, it occurred to me (and I checked), I could remove the arms from these chairs. Maybe I surprise the group. They might hang me! Still curious what you all prefer.

I find people with elbows are usually wider than chairs with arms, so we wouldn't really be able to fit more players unless we remove both sets of arms ;)

I find people with elbows are usually wider than chairs with arms, so we wouldn't really be able to fit more players unless we remove both sets of arms ;)

Hmm...I'll have to think on that.

Part of the issue is that players can flip the arm rest, which makes it wider. Most do that and I think you've hit the reason. They are, shall we say, wider than I am...

Arms are a no-go for a poker table, unless you have 6 people sitting around a decent sized round table, all smoking cigars and drinking booze from snifters... If you want to rest your arms, do it on the nice padded rail. :)

All my chairs have arms and I've had no problems. AND many of my players are pushing 3bills and we often play 10 at the final table. I guess the table size is more important in all of this.

All my chairs have arms and I've had no problems. AND many of my players are pushing 3bills and we often play 10 at the final table. I guess the table size is more important in all of this.

Well, table size and room size ;) IIRC, when my tabletop was made, vinyl size was a concern as well. My octagon table is 54" corner to corner and I believe most vinyls at the time were 54", so the rail had to be hand stitched. However, my track is also padded and vinyl, but I didn't want that stitched, so I couldn't go with a 60" table. Again, IIRC. I'm in discussions now, to possibly have a larger octagon, but I'm sure I'll be faced with the same constraints. I actually like the stitched rail, but on the track my OCD might not approve...

Prefer no-armrests to armrests; easier getting in and out, especially if there's not much space behind.

Notable exception: a non-swivel chair without casters ABSOLUTELY CANNOT have armrests. It becomes very much a pain in the ass for people to get in and out when the table is crowded.

My overflow seating, for person number 11, is a teakwood stool. Having no back makes it easier for the stoolie - and however is next to them - to get in and out when needed. And people rarely lean back, anyway.

(Just checked a photo from one of my games - one out of ten people leaning back. Everyone else is sitting up or leaning on the rail, except the one person petting a dog.)

Last edited:
Go with no arms for all the reasons stated above. Also makes getting in and out easier.

I've never had arms at a poker table. If people need to lean they can do that on the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom