CatPants' WSOP PAHWM #1 - Event 13: $600 PLO Deep Stack (2 Viewers)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
Last year, I posted several play a hand with me threads, from my 2022 WSOP event experience, that generated a lot of good discussion. Playing in a thousands of people deep MTT is a much different experience for sure. This year, I played in two events - one NLHE and one PLO and managed to cash in both. Made a much deeper run in PLO, and PLO is just more interesting anyway, so going to focus on a few hands from that event that are interesting at different times for different reasons.

Overall structure of Event #13: https://www.wsop.com/pdfs/structuresheets/structure_5219_21678.pdf

Context:
Level 18, we are are well in the money - the event is down to about 160 of the 6000+ runners. No notable pay jumps until the top 50 or so, so pay jumps are not a concern.
My table just broke and I am moved to a new table. At 43, I am the oldest person at the new table. Several pros - scrubs are (almost all) long gone.
Get seated under the gun; no reads on anyone.

Blinds 5k/10k with a 10k BB ante
Average stack overall in the event is about 600k

SB: 1.1M
BB: 1M
UTG (HERO): 400k
UTG +1 : 700k
MP: 300k
HJ: 450k
CU: 175k
BTN: 700k

Pot is 25k, but the ante is not considered when calculating a pot sized bet preflop. So a pot raise would be to 35k.

Hero looks down at :ad::ah::2h::3d:

Action on hero.

Pot is 25k, but the ante is not considered when calculating a pot sized bet preflop.
That rule makes no sense. Was this also true for WSOP pot-limit events prior to changing the ante format?

First off, congrats.

Secondly, POT. You are OOP to everybody but blinds. You have a great hand. Nobody has any reads on you yet, either, so even if you were raising smaller, the new table doesnt know that.

That rule makes no sense. Was this also true for WSOP pot-limit events prior to changing the ante format?
All PLO tourney events I have played the ante is not part of pot. Wynn and wsop.

The right play is probably to open to 2.2 like you see the pros doing.

But, if you are the worst PLO player at the table, sizing up to play less hands, especially postflop and play them shorter makes sense. I’d probably open 3x or the full 3.5x. You could open fold some aces pre if going this strategy but not double suited with some connectedness

Or limp, hope for a raise, then pot and get it all in preflop lol
This depends on stack sizes, and if you think u can backraise to get spr closer to 1 going into the flop. If a back raise isn’t going to get you close to that, I’d just 3-3.5x and have to play post.

This depends on stack sizes, and if you think u can backraise to get spr closer to 1 going into the flop. If a back raise isn’t going to get you close to that, I’d just 3-3.5x and have to play post.
What do you mean spr closer to 1? Isolating? (genuinely asking) Here are the stack sizes...

With a SB, BB, and a limp by Hero, and someone raises 2.5x....when it comes back to hero he could really jam...right? But I guess Hero does have 40 BB and it's not totally necessary...

10K (hero limp) everyone folds but button raises 25K, 5K (sb folds), 25K (Bb calls) back to us and we can now make it 125K? And probably take it down?

Last edited:
What do you mean spr closer to 1? Isolating? (genuinely asking) Here are the stack sizes...

With a SB, BB, and a limp by Hero, and someone raises 2.5x....when it comes back to hero he could really jam...right? But I guess Hero does have 40 BB and it's not totally necessary...

10K (hero limp) everyone folds but button raises 25K, 5K (sb folds), 25K (Bb calls) back to us and we can now make it 125K? And probably take it down?
with one raise behind you can probably get to 125k if they pot it esp and yes you can either take it down or jam flop. I was just thinking tho with aces this good you might prefer to just open raise but with worse aces a limp reraise oop makes a lot more sense. if it just limps thru u can check fold bad flops etc

Let's continue.

Context:
Level 18, we are are well in the money - the event is down to about 160 of the 6000+ runners. No notable pay jumps until the top 50 or so, so pay jumps are not a concern.
My table just broke and I am moved to a new table. At 43, I am the oldest person at the new table. Several pros - scrubs are (almost all) long gone.
Get seated under the gun; no reads on anyone.

Average stack overall in the event is about 600k

Pot is 25k, but the ante is not considered when calculating a pot sized bet preflop. So a pot raise would be to 35k.

Hero looks down at :ad::ah::2h::3d:

Hero RAISES to 30k (this hand plays really poorly out of position)

UTG + 1 CALLS
BTN CALLS

Pot is 105k.

Flop comes :as::9d::2d:

BB checks.
Action on hero.

With such a hammer lock on this flop I want to price in some weaker draws, especially worse flush draws, maybe the case Ace if it has anything else.

I’m betting 40k here. Other than a wheel card that isn’t a Diamond there are no draws to beat you. Hope for a call from AK or even better a raise from A9.

My knee jerk is to pot this, but I like what Rhodeman said....so I would like to go with that. I don't like checking here because turns can give players that are way behind equity to call us with a smaller turn bet, then catch up and stack us on the river (examples would be any spade, plus cards that would make open enders and connect wraps, like T, 8, 7, J....etc.

A small bet here plus a call would make the opportunity for us to get a chunky bet in on the turn much more appealing.

40k sounds perfect.

My knee jerk is to pot this, but I like what Rhodeman said....so I would like to go with that. I don't like checking here because turns can give players that are way behind equity to call us with a smaller turn bet, then catch up and stack us on the river (examples would be any spade, plus cards that would make open enders and connect wraps, like T, 8, 7, J....etc.

A small bet here plus a call would make the opportunity for us to get a chunky bet in on the turn much more appealing.

40k sounds perfect.
Do you ever type out a whole long response and then right before you hit post you realize you misread the hand and/or board. :x

Just glad I caught before I gave concrete proof I was an idiot rather than just the normal rampant speculation that I’m an idiot. :LOL: :laugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom