Casa Grande - Need Group Feedback (and a designer consult) (1 Viewer)

GreekRedEye

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Mockups of design for the group buy carothers is organizing. Would love input from the group. I am also looking for a designer to hire to consult on colors, laying out the pips on the side, other tips and tricks. The idea is that these could be dual purpose. Primarily would serve as tournament set (excluding the 50s and 200s). And secondarily could serve as cash limit set using these as penny denominations (including the 50s and 200s - although I am not sure I really need/want the 200). The designs mostly have some meaning from time I spent in Nicaragua. For example, the 25 is based on the colors of a local bird called the guardabarranco. The 50 is the sea and sky. The 100 is based on a traditional mask. The 1000 on a famous church. And the 5000 is the country's flag.

Casa Grande - 25.png
Casa Grande - 50.png
Casa Grande - 100.png
Casa Grande - 200.png
Casa Grande - 500.png
Casa Grande - 1000.png
Casa Grande - 5000.png

I like your inlay design, but I think the art could look better or more detailed (good you're looking for a designer)? Not sure about the circles for a faux mold thought. Spots are a bit complex for my taste.

Definitely lose the 200. If the 50 is for limit, you could use the 1000 as the value chip with it. If security is a concern, change it to .50 and get a 10 denomination for the value chip.

I like your inlay design, but I think the art could look better or more detailed (good you're looking for a designer)? Not sure about the circles for a faux mold thought. Spots are a bit complex for my taste.

Definitely lose the 200. If the 50 is for limit, you could use the 1000 as the value chip with it. If security is a concern, change it to .50 and get a 10 denomination for the value chip.
Thanks for the feedback.

On design...
I agree the artwork of the building facade could be better. I am more skilled at layout work than drawing work. So a pro could definitely help me there. The faux mold seems to look good on photos I have seen for other buys from the Tina no-mold buys I have seen posted elsewhere. But yeah, without having actuals in my hand I don't know if it will look good or chintzy in real life. If anyone has done it and has an opinion, please let me know. I know the pips are unconventional and busy, but they evoke specific memories for me. I have tried to balance the pips by making the sides predominantly the chip color. Any suggestions to improve the pips are welcome.

On denominations...
I will almost certainly ditch the 200. Built it on a whim because I had the template fired up. In addition to using it for limit, I thought it might help me be able to stretch a 20 person tournament set to include a couple more players by substituting in the 50s and 200s for some 25s and 100s. But I think this may be an example of being too clever. The rule of thumb on the value chip is 20 times the lowest small blind or the big blind? So if the small blind is 25 and the big blind is 50, should the value be 500 or 1000? Either way, I think I am covered with the existing 500 and 1000 designs.

I’ve done a bunch of the faux molds printed on the no-mold blanks. I can help set up your faux mold, inlay and get it ready for print…but I’m a bit backed up with other chip stuff at least until the end of this coming week. I know that’s getting close to the deadline for Justin’s group buy.
We could probably make the deadline, as long as there aren’t too many rounds of changes.
You can PM me for details.

Regarding denominations, the general progression is 25, 100, 500, 1000, 5000.
There’s really no need to stray from that setup, and it will be cumbersome to add more denominations to that.

Regarding denominations, the general progression is 25, 100, 500, 1000, 5000.
There’s really no need to stray from that setup, and it will be cumbersome to add more denominations to that.
I would take out the 50 and 200 as well, maybe add in a 25k for fun

I’ve done a bunch of the faux molds printed on the no-mold blanks. I can help set up your faux mold, inlay and get it ready for print…but I’m a bit backed up with other chip stuff at least until the end of this coming week. I know that’s getting close to the deadline for Justin’s group buy.
We could probably make the deadline, as long as there aren’t too many rounds of changes.
You can PM me for details.
Just sent you a PM.

Mockups of design for the group buy carothers is organizing. Would love input from the group. I am also looking for a designer to hire to consult on colors, laying out the pips on the side, other tips and tricks. The idea is that these could be dual purpose. Primarily would serve as tournament set (excluding the 50s and 200s). And secondarily could serve as cash limit set using these as penny denominations (including the 50s and 200s - although I am not sure I really need/want the 200). The designs mostly have some meaning from time I spent in Nicaragua. For example, the 25 is based on the colors of a local bird called the guardabarranco. The 50 is the sea and sky. The 100 is based on a traditional mask. The 1000 on a famous church. And the 5000 is the country's flag.

View attachment 1152540View attachment 1152541View attachment 1152542View attachment 1152543View attachment 1152544View attachment 1152545View attachment 1152546

I love the spot patterns- it's cool that they remind me of clay while being tough to do in clay.

Let me know if you decide to hire an illustrator, you're ahead of me in the planning so far so would love to hear your experiences.

So, here is my latest design, incorporating some feedback. @SteveEH I got a designer to improve the building facade and I redid the mold design (rather than circles it uses a tile pattern common in Nicaragua). @Machine I ditched the 50 and 200. Let me know what you think. I have time for one last round of changes.
  • I am thinking 39mm for the denominations and 45mm for the buy-in and the bounty chips. Thoughts?
  • The pips are computer straight. I could mess with them to make them look like clay molded, but not sure it is worth the effort.
  • Please check my edge rolls. All of them are symmetric except for 500, so I think that is the only one I had to invert for the reverse side.
  • Speaking of reverse side. What do you all think? The reverse shows the inspiration for the patterns/colors but I fear it might make these look "touristy."

Casa Grande - ver8.png

Here a little more zoomed in on the faces:

Casa Grande - ver8 - closer shot.png

I like the design. Looks like it will be a very nice set.
I do have a recommendation about the type. Much of it is outlined in black, which is fine, but the outline should always go on the outside of the letterform, not the middle or the inside. Most drawing and design apps default to the inside, and it can make the letters harder to read, especially on the small type.
Here’s an example:
529F32D3-712F-484F-BC87-29D9AABF8E9A.jpeg

Outside is preferred for legibility.

@Colquhoun Great tip! I am always learning something new with Illustrator. Just read up on how to switch between outside, inside stroke. Not intuitive for some reason. My fonts were defaulting to on the line. In fact, I did a faux drop shadow on the "Casa Grande" text because I did not like how the stroke was affecting readability. I will have to revisit that.

Now that my design is set (big thank you to @Colquhoun for the assist!) I am am double checking my chip numbers before placing the order tomorrow. I know this is not strictly "design" related but rather than create a new thread about the same chip set...

If anyone following this thread sees my numbers are off, please let me know!

Goal is to be able to hold 4 different types of games (including color ups of course) with this set:
  • T20K for 10 players at 12, 12, 5, 6, 2
  • T10K for 10 players at 12, 12, 5, 6
  • T10K for 20 players at 8, 8, 4, 2, 1
  • 25/25 or 25/50 Limit cash game for 8 using denoms as pennies.
T25 = 175
T100 = 175
T500 = 125
T1000 = 125
T5000 = 50
Bounty chip = 25
Buy in chip = 25

Order must be in multiples of 25.

I do not like doing rebuys and add ons. Maybe a couple re entries if someone busts out early and wants back in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom