Cards mold ceramic chip comparisons (2 Viewers)

So, special thanks to @ceramicmike for sending me a sample of the latest China Club chips. These are the new blanks that we presume Tina is using for the new orders. If so, I absolutely love the chips. The colors, alignment, mold, feel, and matte finish are superb to me.

I was not expecting this level of quality for the price. Now I am only more excited for the Aria’s orders!

image.jpg

Quick question based on the nice vid Chris made about the Tina Aria chips:

How are these chips for you who have some already? Spinners?

I had a set at some point but sold it almost instantly because of the spinners (at least one per barrel).

For others it's not a deal breaker but for me it was.

I had my reset redone at SunFly who offers the original Cards and Diamonds mold ceramic chips.

@Kid_Eastwood thank you for the honest reply. Yes that would put me off as well. 1 per barrel is annoying AF. I had a run of a 1000 cusom Roman CPC rounders like, but came out horrible. At least 400 spinners. This was just before the roman mold was put to rest. So yeah, hearing this brings back a nasty memory. Sunfly on the other hand... you have a review or photo's?

Sunfly on the other hand... you have a review or photo's?
I've still about 1600 chips from SF (Cards mold, Diamonds mold and hybrids). I've never experienced single spinner.

Also, edge alignment was better on my SF chips over Tina's chips. But it was not a deal breaker for me seeing Tina's price.

@BELGRADE uses PolyInno intensively and they hold good after heavy usage.

@Fran has also several sets and I don't think he experienced a single spinner too.

Also, SF is able, even several years later to create addon with chips exactly matching in terms of colors.

For the pictures, here my current SF sets.

Hybrids : https://www.pokerchipforum.com/chipdb/princess-private-club.168/

Cards mold : https://www.pokerchipforum.com/chipdb/the-bank.154/

Diamonds mold : https://www.pokerchipforum.com/chipdb/arya.170/

A SF hybrid set I sold : https://www.pokerchipforum.com/chipdb/fino-alla-fine.155/

A SF diamonds mold set I sold to @dany626 : https://www.pokerchipforum.com/chipdb/the-bank.161/

@Kid_Eastwood thank you for the honest reply. Yes that would put me off as well. 1 per barrel is annoying AF. I had a run of a 1000 cusom Roman CPC rounders like, but came out horrible. At least 400 spinners. This was just before the roman mold was put to rest. So yeah, hearing this brings back a nasty memory. Sunfly on the other hand... you have a review or photo's?
Not everyone's experience is the same as Kid's. I've personally handled thousands of Tina cards mold chips and not noticed an issue with spinners. I think PCF has bought over 200,000 of these chips, and Kid is the only person I'm aware of who is constantly running these chips down. He certainly has every right to document his experiences, but if spinners were a serious problem with Tina cards mold chips, I think there would be a whole lot more people writing about it. I suspect that somehow he just got a bad batch. That's my opinion.

Maybe @SeanGecko will also chime in on the spinner issue. He has been playing regular games with Tina card mold chips for over 2 years. And he has bought from at least a half dozen different buys from Tina.

Also, to be very clear, Tina cards mold and Sunfly cards mold are VERY different chips. If you love one, you will probably hate the other. I have some Sunflys, and I don't like them at all... I even wrote a post directly comparing the differences. You need to be sure you're okay with those differences before spending at least twice as much for Sunflys over Tina chips.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/sunfly-polyclay-poker-chips.77029/post-1566675

I am not the only one who experienced spinners.
Others have also noticed that they do not wear well.

Others have not encountered any issue.
Quality varies a lot depending on the batches.

Since for OP spinners is a big no-go, I would not advice him to order at Tina since he won't know for sure if he'll get spinners or not.

As Tx rightly said, they are different. SF have rounded edges which I personnally prefer as ceramic chips won't ever get his edge wearing like clay chips.

Also, @BGinGA did some test with SF PolyClay and their grip is outstanding. They stack so.nicely. Even better than used RHC.

For me a downside of SF compared to Tina's chip is that the colors are a little bit more muted.

In the end, it's not my money but I prefer to share my experience because if I would have read a similar review, I would not have ordered and it would have saved me some time and a few bucks.

I've SF test barrels for sale if you want (PolyClay and PolyInno) to try them out.

From Europe, a SF chip after shipping and tax is +/- 0.90€. Tina's ones are +/- 0.50€.

I am not the only one who experienced spinners.
Others have also noticed that they do not wear well.

Others have not encountered any issue.
Quality varies a lot depending on the batches.

Since for OP spinners is a big no-go, I would not advice him to order at Tina since he won't know for sure if he'll get spinners or not.

As Tx rightly said, they are different. SF have rounded edges which I personnally prefer as ceramic chips won't ever get his edge wearing like clay chips.

Also, @BGinGA did some test with SF PolyClay and their grip is outstanding. They stack so.nicely. Even better than used RHC.

For me a downside of SF compared to Tina's chip is that the colors are a little bit more muted.

In the end, it's not my money but I prefer to share my experience because if I would have read a similar review, I would not have ordered and it would have saved me some time and a few bucks.

I've SF test barrels for sale if you want (PolyClay and PolyInno) to try them out.

From Europe, a SF chip after shipping and tax is +/- 0.90€. Tina's ones are +/- 0.50€.
I agree completely. Not trying to imply that your observations are not valid. What I do know if that if someone likes the characteristics of Tina chips better than Sunfly chips, it is quite easy to bump your order by 10%, or even 20% to remove spinners, and still come in well below the cost of Sunfly.

This is the reason I have not purchased any additional SF chips after my first order. Colors were really muted and not close enough to what I submitted when I ordered. That was in 2018 tho, so maybe colors are much better and more consistent with their provided color palette.

My Tina mold hybrid chips will be here in the next couple weeks (had to wait an extra 2 weeks because of Chinese New Year) and then I'll be able to compare them directly. Also note that according to @Himewad and others, the hybrid option reduces the possibility of spinners pretty much to nil because of the recessed middle section and inlay. Another thing I'm hoping to confirm soon enough.

Not everyone's experience is the same as Kid's. I've personally handled thousands of Tina cards mold chips and not noticed an issue with spinners. I think PCF has bought over 200,000 of these chips, and Kid is the only person I'm aware of who is constantly running these chips down. He certainly has every right to document his experiences, but if spinners were a serious problem with Tina cards mold chips, I think there would be a whole lot more people writing about it. I suspect that somehow he just got a bad batch. That's my opinion.

Maybe @SeanGecko will also chime in on the spinner issue. He has been playing regular games with Tina card mold chips for over 2 years. And he has bought from at least a half dozen different buys from Tina.

Also, to be very clear, Tina cards mold and Sunfly cards mold are VERY different chips. If you love one, you will probably hate the other. I have some Sunflys, and I don't like them at all... I even wrote a post directly comparing the differences. You need to be sure you're okay with those differences before spending at least twice as much for Sunflys over Tina chips.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/sunfly-polyclay-poker-chips.77029/post-1566675
My experience is similar to TX, the set I got from Tina (about 2000 chips) there wasn't any spinners

This is the reason I have not purchased any additional SF chips after my first order. Colors were really muted and not close enough to what I submitted when I ordered. That was in 2018 tho, so maybe colors are much better and more consistent with their provided color palette.

My Tina mold hybrid chips will be here in the next couple weeks (had to wait an extra 2 weeks because of Chinese New Year) and then I'll be able to compare them directly. Also note that according to @Himewad and others, the hybrid option reduces the possibility of spinners pretty much to nil because of the recessed middle section and inlay. Another thing I'm hoping to confirm soon enough.

Noticed the same thing.
Working with their color palette gives much better results.
I know that @Fran only used SF palette for his numerous sets and the result is very nice imho.

Last edited:
Regarding the colors, the good thing with SF is that you can use their "tested" color palette.

sunfly-color-chart-names-png.343827

From experience, if you work with this palette (and communicate the CC colors you used on your chips while submitting the order), you'll get very reliable results.

Also, I've already order 2 separate add-on of an initial order and the color matching of the add-on with the initial batch were perfect.

This is a very useful chart. Thanks for sharing.

Quick question based on the nice vid Chris made about the Tina Aria chips:

I have 1500 Card Molds and actually had them all out this weekend (new storage scenario). I didn’t notice any spinners. They actually stack better than the new Paulsons I just got (they are not better chips, just better in this respect). In the interest of full disclosure they haven’t seen any real action but I have had them for a few months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom