Calypso Cardroom (1 Viewer)

aaron2786

Flush
Reaction score
Alright, I feel I might finally be close to getting what's been inside my brain for a while onto paper (screen?).

The Calypso Cardroom:

(Full "logo" as a wall piece for the room)
Calypso Sign 01 Artboard 1.png

For a while I've had several custom ideas just rolling around my noggin', but one idea that's had me coming back over and again. I freaking love Atomic era and mid century design (original right?), and a while back I started a project called "The Atomic Club".

(Atomic Club Inlay design)
Untitled-62 copy 01 Artboard 1.png

I was really digging so much about it, the warmth and colors, the simple starburst design, but it was always lacking a tropical flair that I wanted it to have as well. Hey, we like the Caribbean and if we took a vacation that didn't involve a beach at this point, I'm not sure I'd recognize us anymore. The whole house is decorated mashup of mid century and tropical vibes, and now the poker room is heading that way too.

Enter the other day, and the name "Calypso" finally pops into the brain. Ah, loved it, simple single word that instantly invokes a place and an idea. Well, I'd been sitting around doing way too modern design lately and this monstrosity pops into existence.

Calypso imperial 1 01 Artboard 1.png

Hey, cool. There's the name. I drew a flower. Yippie. No, is crap. It has almost nothing I love design wise for my personal taste. So I get back to looking at the atomic design and start trying to think of how I can combine the two ideas, retaining what I like from each.

I simplify the frangipani flower even more than it was, delete some leaves, lose the deep gradient fills, and instead go for a watercolor over ink look that can be found all over art from the late 50's and early 60's, and we get to..

(Calypso Cardroom $1 Inlay Design - No Shape)
Calypso Retro $1 Inlay 01 Artboard 1.png

I freaking love it. It's so clean and old-school and basic, I get my colors, the name and the theme all there without a single palm tree being involved lol. (I've put way too many palms in other designs, we all have right?)

Pull out the color samples and get going, and now here's a proto set from frac to $100 denomination for a cash set.

Edit: Per input from the brother @deskjob101, swapped tiger/peach between the 1 and the 25. I agree. This is the way.

c8949a4e-9b88-4537-a24e-457299330c04.png

I tried to strike a balance between an older but modern look, and some kind of Frankenstein of a Cali set that is still easily playable for most of my guys that have only ever used Vegas colors. Still debating what order the shaped inlays would go on these guys (or if at all... What a premium, but worth it right? Right?!)

And finally as I am hopefully only a week or two weeks max away from gorilla delivering the new pub table for the room, I had to design a topper too, didn't I?

(Shown with rails and stainless cups, as ordered)
Calypso Pub Table Top 01 Artboard 1.png

Alright, I suppose it's time to make my wallet cry?

Aaron

Last edited:
Love the inlays! Good choices of shaped inlays as well! Really nostalgia inducing set!

Colour choices are really nice as well! Only chip I'm not vibing with as much is the $5, but Arc is a much nicer looking colour in person and might fit better with the edge spots than the digital mockup.

Love it. Had a similar $5 mocked myself except with butterscotch
Butterscotch substituting the brown or the pink? The pink is the one spot I'm not completely sure on it there, but the most fitting to it seemed to be light blue, but I didn't want such a large spot to repeat the color from the most adjacent lower chip, so pink it was, and I'm maybe...80% on it

Love the inlays! Good choices of shaped inlays as well! Really nostalgia inducing set!

Colour choices are really nice as well! Only chip I'm not vibing with as much is the $5, but Arc is a much nicer looking colour in person and might fit better with the edge spots than the digital mockup.
Thanks for all my man! Looking at it in person I really dig it, the one spot that is a maybe is the pink, but I really can't find something that works nearly as well with the chocolate and light green

Pink looks great but you do have a lot of pink in the set. Pink makes every cpc chip better always though so I get it
LOL! Exactly, you know how hard it was to keep the pink off the $1? Lol. But yeah I knew I'd be hearing this one, but pink is like, The color besides light blue that works the most with the nostalgic feel to me

Thanks for all my man! Looking at it in person I really dig it, the one spot that is a maybe is the pink, but I really can't find something that works nearly as well with the chocolate and light green
DG Tiger or DG Orange maybe?

May want to consider Bright White over White is my only real suggestion, since the latter can look dirty. Love the inlay and chip designs.

DG Tiger or Orange maybe?

May want to consider Bright White over White is my only real suggestion, since the latter can look dirty. Love the inlay and chip designs.
Looking dirty is half the point on the spots where I used em, closest I can get to an almond look. But, when I needed a white base, on the $100, I 100% agree BW is the only way to go.

DG tiger is the most likely sub for the pink spot on the $5, like I said (or did I?) Plenty of tweaking to do here and there

Thanks man

For the record my eyes are shot from hammering out my next customs so this is a breath of fresh air

And how irradiated will this next set be? Playable once the uranium half life drops of in 2866?
Likely a bit of a different take this go around. Trying to do something new and use some stuff we don’t see too often

Topper looked amazing with the chips. Might need to collab on a new one with you

A few minor changes (secret) have been made, and the initial "place the order" email has been sent. How is this nerve wrecking already? Lol
Welcome to the "fun" of the wait for a CPC order to arrive. Having ridden this particular wagon numerous times, I recommend the following:

1) Booze. Lots of booze. Beer, wine, whisky, whatever suits your fancy, but in excess and routinely, mostly so you forget about the order.

2) Hide your design files. Delete them from your phone. Offload them from your computer to an external hard drive. Shred then recycle all your test prints. Make it very difficult to see what you have ordered. Don't post them on the fridge like the drawing from a young family member.

3) Try to not revisit this thread. It'll be like not doing the suggestions in item no. 2.

4) Return to the chip designer and start on your next set design. :LOL: :laugh:

5) Revel in joy when you receive a shipping notice from CPC.

Mostly joking, of course. They look great and I can't wait to see the finished chips when they show up!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom