Busted players at the table (2 Viewers)

renegadegatorman

High Hand
Reaction score
My games are just a monthly meetup with the fellas, pretty much the only time I get to see my friends. So when one of them is out of chips and doesn't want to rebuy but still wants to kick it I let them keep hanging out in their seat at the poker table for as long as they want.

Sometimes it annoys other players because of the occasional misdeal or action getting held up because someone thinks it's the action of someone who isn't playing but really those aren't a big deal as far as I'm concerned. Just wanted to see if yall do things the same way. Is this a pretty common practice for home games or do you think it takes away from the game itself?

My games are just a monthly meetup with the fellas, pretty much the only time I get to see my friends. So when one of them is out of chips and doesn't want to rebuy but still wants to kick it I let them keep hanging out in their seat at the poker table for as long as they want.

Sometimes it annoys other players because of the occasional misdeal or action getting held up because someone thinks it's the action of someone who isn't playing but really those aren't a big deal as far as I'm concerned. Just wanted to see if yall do things the same way. Is this a pretty common practice for home games or do you think it takes away from the game itself?
So you asked what we think but I'll start with what I'd -do- :

See if some kind of utility chip or other clearly-visible, unobtrusive item can be placed in front of busted players. Should alleviate or mitigate both problems of misdeals and waiting for action that's not coming. I just got a custom set of chips with a ton of colors, so in my case I'd just pick an infrequently-used color (brown or teal) and drop it in front of the busted players.

Now, another concern for more serious players / serious games might be table talk, or the busted player accidentally seeing hole cards and inadvertently conveying information. But if this is a social thing, and you haven't gotten any complaints outside of the two you mention, seems like a 'not in play' token in front of folks would help.

If I'm hosting, I'll allow it for cash but discourage it for tournaments so as to encourage busted players to start side games.

But if this is a social thing, and you haven't gotten any complaints outside of the two you mention, seems like a 'not in play' token in front of folks would help.

If I'm hosting, I'll allow it for cash but discourage it for tournaments so as to encourage busted players to start side games.
lol, something that says “crap player busted out again”. They most likely won’t want that in front of them so they will move.

Maybe something like this placed in his spot at the table, maybe put a sticker on it that says "busted."
QPic.jpeg.jpg

https://www.ideastage.com/6-Deluxe-...hbvp2OO7BKbgpNliB9QqvQQSDziuADTRoCj-IQAvD_BwE

Yeah, we have guys hang around and finish a beer or even open a new one. Does once in a while lead to a card going to the wrong person. Not really holding anything up so it's not a problem for me.

Make sure the non-busted players have their chips directly in front of them, and tell the dealers to deal to chip stacks.

You still might have an occasional misdeal, but based on your OP it seems like you want the others to stay/hang out.

Or have them shuffle/deal like recommended above.

I have a home trainer in the pokerroom just for that.....

ON YOUR BIKE !

My opinion, it takes away from the game. I personally will misdeal to that non player more often than not and I’m not the only one.
Just another reason why cash games are more appropriate for home games - wanna hang around, buy some chips!

At my cash game, it happens occasionally, and no one cares if a busted player stays in the seat to finish a drink, or just hang out.
I've had some that offered to be the dealer, so that is agreeable to all.
I will admit that a busted player will rebuy 99% of the time, unless it happens with less than 10 minutes remaining in the time limited game. If it happens early in the evening and they don't rebuy, they will leave the table and go home.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with it either, but, everyone needs to be on board with helping the flow of cards to protect from misdeal, etc. If they sit long enough they'll likely come back in.

Now, another concern for more serious players / serious games might be table talk, or the busted player accidentally seeing hole cards and inadvertently conveying information.
That's perhaps the most egregious slip up now that I think about it. Busted players love to talk about the board, which has definitely killed my action before. Also, if a busted player is sitting next to our resident maniac the busted player will be shown the hand preflop EVERYTIME! Lol. It's actually quite difficult to play against.

Either deal, rebuy, or back away from the table. You can visit without sitting at the table.

At my games I’m cool with people hanging out if they’re felted and don’t rebuy, they usually back away from the table a bit though or go hang out to the side. USUALLY my group always rebuys though with the exception of 1 or 2 guys or if it’s later in the night. Having some kinda chip or prop to put in front of knocked out players on the table is a cool idea though.

At my games I’m cool with people hanging out if they’re felted and don’t rebuy, they usually back away from the table a bit though or go hang out to the side. USUALLY my group always rebuys though with the exception of 1 or 2 guys or if it’s later in the night. Having some kinda chip or prop to put in front of knocked out players on the table is a cool idea though.
Agree. And if he's not gonna shuffle, deal, bring drinks or food over then park this stuffed animal in front of him to remind him of the sad donkey he is
Screenshot_20240209_184106_Google.jpg

Last edited:
lol, something that says “crap player busted out again”. They most likely won’t want that in front of them so they will move.
Hah - now you have me leaning toward using my brown chips for exactly this reason. :)

I'd set the expectation for everyone to bring 3 buy ins for the night, and set the stakes appropriately. There's a chance someone will go through 3, but it doesn't happen much. If you're all big gamblers, then make it 5, or whatever is reasonable, buy ins.

You know, this reminds me of something I used to do many years ago that when my crowd was all early-20s and we had the energy and obligation-free life to stick around until 1-2am. It may work for you if the space works for it:

I'd ensure there were other forms of entertainment a few feet away where busted folks could do something fun, away from the table, but still socialize easily. A couch with a big TV and video games / Tivo / DVD player (It was the year 1999). Also had a dart board and a legit stand-up Ms. Pac Man arcade machine. Now that I think about it, I hosted a crap-ton of evenings that were split between hold'em tourneys and Mario Kart 64 / GoldenEye for the busted folks.

Good times.

See if you can set up alternate entertainment.

You're the host, its your game, do what you want. We do the same thing and rarely have any issues with mis-deals or waiting on action. Pretty easy to see if someone has chips in front of them or not. The other players should relax...or they can host and run the game how they want.

You're the host, its your game, do what you want. We do the same thing and rarely have any issues with mis-deals or waiting on action. Pretty easy to see if someone has chips in front of them or not. The other players should relax...or they can host and run the game how they want.
With some folks, especially casual folks without a lot of dealing experience, it can be more intuitive for them to deal to the player instead of the chips and can be a hard habit to break. Definitely doable though. I'm impressed you rarely run into issues. I'd have to guess the majority of people at your table have at least a few years of playing under their belt?

With some folks, especially casual folks without a lot of dealing experience, it can be more intuitive for them to deal to the player instead of the chips and can be a hard habit to break. Definitely doable though. I'm impressed you rarely run into issues. I'd have to guess the majority of people at your table have at least a few years of playing under their belt?
Yeah it’s usually about a 60/40 mix of experienced players and very casual players. The main reason we don’t run in to issues is b/c there’s always a few of us paying close enough attention that we catch a mis-deal as it’s happening. But if we don’t it’s not a big deal and we just shuffle up and deal again.

Yeah it’s usually about a 60/40 mix of experienced players and very casual players. The main reason we don’t run in to issues is b/c there’s always a few of us paying close enough attention that we catch a mis-deal as it’s happening. But if we don’t it’s not a big deal and we just shuffle up and deal again.
I love that. I think if I could wave a magic wand and ensure one thing for every game I ever play at in the future, it's that everyone's chilled out and having a good time. Or maybe second to 'Let them all be whales.'

I love that. I think if I could wave a magic wand and ensure one thing for every game I ever play at in the future, it's that everyone's chilled out and having a good time. Or maybe second to 'Let them all be whales.'
Having a good time is the main goal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom