Budget Build Help (2 Viewers)

RowdyRawhide

Full House
Reaction score
So this will be my first all out build. It is going to stay in my shop for garage games so it will be have drinks around/on it cigar/cigarette smokers playing at it. so I am looking for fairly cheap materials that I am not going to have to worry about getting damaged. Table will be standard size-ish probably around 72-84 inches long and looking at 42 wide. thinking 5" or 6" rail. open to suggestions here. 8-10 players on a good night typically around 6-7 normally. The plan is to fold it up and hang it on the wall when not being used. also plan on using slide under cup holders. Hope to start on it in about 3 weeks.

what I have:
2 sheets of 3/4 plywood
set of old folding table legs
some vinyl from Joanns that I bought several years ago
tools for the job

what I need advice on:
cloth- right now I am leaning towards SSC from brybelly via amazon- open to ideas here
playing surface padding- is there anything at joanns or should just order something somewhere
rail padding - same question as above.

Thanks in advance

PS Here is the cross link to the same thread over a PTF:
http://www.pokertableforum.com/threads/budget-build-help.24/

Last edited:
The playing surface is the one area where I wouldn't go cheap. Get the good stuff from Your Auto Trim. It stands up to spills, will probably last longer than the Chinese stuff, and it most definitely feels better.

So I have all of the pieces gathered for this project.

I'm thinking 48"X96" OR 42"X84". any thoughts on one or the other?

Also should I go with 5" or 6" rail? I'm leaning towards 5" right now, gonna use slide under cup holders.

Thanks in advance

Everybody says don't go 48" wide, and I would support that. If you wanted to do longer than 84", that's ok, but keep the width below 44" or you'll have issues reaching the center. I wish I had seen this earlier. I would have sent samples of the two-tone brybelly SSC. I've been really happy with it so far for my occasional use tables. Did you end up going that route?

I'd go 5" rail too, FWIW.

96" X 42" with 5" rail it is then.

Everybody says don't go 48" wide, and I would support that. If you wanted to do longer than 84", that's ok, but keep the width below 44" or you'll have issues reaching the center. I wish I had seen this earlier. I would have sent samples of the two-tone brybelly SSC. I've been really happy with it so far for my occasional use tables. Did you end up going that route?

I'd go 5" rail too, FWIW.

I went ahead and purchased the brybelly cloth for this build, after I saw yours. I ordered the foam from YAT, and ordered enough for two tables as well as their platinum SSC for another nicer table. As stated this table is going in the garage for stogie games so I wasn't too concerned For this build. I'm also cutting my teeth on this one so if something gets screwed up I'm not out as much

Thanks guys. Probably start cutting tomorrow. Will watch for more comments

Here is the finished product. Still need to paint some old folding legs. Build thread will be updated on PTF when I get enough time to document it and upload a crap ton of photos

2016-03-29 08.28.56.jpg

PTB 18.jpg

PTB 19.jpg

Some Terrible's
PTF 21.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome. I quite fancy attempting something like this when my current contract ends.

Thanks for the comments guys. I basically did this top in about 9 hrs over two days. The build thread should hopefully be done in a couple of days. To anyone on the fence about building it really wasn't that bad, as everyone says the rail was the biggest PITA. I did it by myself and it's not perfect by any means, but it would have been much easier with two people

Looks fantastic. What was the total cost?

COST:
$70 plywood
$25 Brybelly SSC form Amazon
$21 HD playing surface foam from YAT
$45 Whisper vinyl from Joanns
$35 rail foam from YAT (sale)
Approx $20 shipping from YAT
Legs were free

COST:
$70 plywood
$25 Brybelly SSC form Amazon
$21 HD playing surface foam from YAT
$45 Whisper vinyl from Joanns
$35 rail foam from YAT (sale)
Approx $20 shipping from YAT
Legs were free
Looks great, the speed cloth is nice!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom