Bought a Racetrack, did I mess this up? (1 Viewer)

pbbarons

Waiting List
Reaction score
Would like to say hello to everyone here! I'm new but have been playing cards for a number of years.

I will be hosting my first home game in a few weeks and have been looking at a proper table to up the prestige factor. I first thought of going with a Barrington type folding table, using a topper or changing out the top to speed felt at a later date.

I was looking at Facebook Marketplace to see if anything caught my eye just in case and I came across this table priced at $500. I have since found out this particular poker table style is called a "Racetrack" and normally goes for about 880 on Amazon from IDS Poker. It had a small nick on the rail that I can try and fix later and an issue with the felt not totally covering one side. We're talking maybe a millimeter here but somewhat noticeable.

All things considered, would the Barrington (or even that Serenelife that is out there) all souped up with the speed felt be better for both playability and bang for buck? I came back here and have looked at some of threads related to Racetracks and I was immediately horrified I had made a terrible decision! I keep seeing peeking at your cards and clanking of chips when your shuffling them being the biggest issues.

Please talk me off the ledge guys as I'm a little bit upset!

313090957_5843059862421473_6146472738742325535_n (1).jpg
311857602_5533969243366001_8508190107904948239_n.jpg
312738897_5494752340606921_2876840939530360060_n.jpg
312567038_8992120794135058_1346863189333274377_n.jpg
312432296_5363225247137239_9075825410247628705_n.jpg

A lot of us dump on racetrack tables because it is a feature that’s only there because it looks nice, but is actually less efficient to play on for a couple of reasons which you’ve probably read all about by now.
But you have to remember that we nitpick everything here - it’s something to do; discussions to have. In the big picture, racetracks aren’t a big deal. Would I ever buy a table with a racetrack? Not likely, but if the price was good enough, maybe. Would I ever avoid a game because it was being played on a racetrack table? Hell no! It’s not that big of a deal.

Last edited:
If you want to hide the exposed wood portion around the playing area, run to Joann's and get some decorative cord to run around the perimeter of the raised area.

Example: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/table-showcase-pics.17451/post-314916

I don't think there's much you can do to fix the rail other than applying some leather repair tape. Won't look the greatest but may help that rip from getting worse.

I was in the same boat where I made my table purchase prior to joining PCF. In my case it was an expensive ass high end table. The racetrack is probably my least favorite part from a functionality standpoint, but it's not bad at all sir. If you like you table, you'll be fine. I've never really had someone complain about my table, if anything I'm more picky that the folks I play with. People usually shuffle on the felt and we always leave our cards on the felted portion. It's a 5 inch race track so unless you got them T-Rex arms I don't foresee any issues. But it does *look* gorgeous, IMO.

My table just FYI.
Table.jpg

I was in the same boat where I made my table purchase prior to joining PCF. In my case it was an expensive ass high end table. The racetrack is probably my least favorite part from a functionality standpoint, but it's not bad at all sir. If you like you table, you'll be fine. I've never really had someone complain about my table, if anything I'm more picky that the folks I play with. People usually shuffle on the felt and we always leave our cards on the felted portion. It's a 5 inch race track so unless you got them T-Rex arms I don't foresee any issues. But it does *look* gorgeous, IMO.

My table just FYI.
View attachment 1017597
Lol T-rex arms, made me laugh. Nice table by the way even though it's Boston teams! That rail is super nice.

I'm feeling a little bit more comfortable after some of the replies for sure.

Its a matter of preference, I don't like cup holders and poker tables, but I think racetracks are the 2nd best solution (next to custom under the table mounts).

The table sounds like its an upgrade, so thats never a bad thing. Toss some tape on there so it doesn't rip further and enjoy.

The first time around helps us for the next, it a process.

Nothing wrong with a racetrack, it's leagues better than playing on nothing. You have a bumper, area of play that is defined, general space guideline for players to follow when the table is full, and a secure place for your drinks / phone. Enjoy your game.

I don’t like to have a race track nor cup holders but it definitely looks nice. Guess it’s just a matter of preference

Would like to say hello to everyone here! I'm new but have been playing cards for a number of years.

I will be hosting my first home game in a few weeks and have been looking at a proper table to up the prestige factor. I first thought of going with a Barrington type folding table, using a topper or changing out the top to speed felt at a later date.

I was looking at Facebook Marketplace to see if anything caught my eye just in case and I came across this table priced at $500. I have since found out this particular poker table style is called a "Racetrack" and normally goes for about 880 on Amazon from IDS Poker. It had a small nick on the rail that I can try and fix later and an issue with the felt not totally covering one side. We're talking maybe a millimeter here but somewhat noticeable.

All things considered, would the Barrington (or even that Serenelife that is out there) all souped up with the speed felt be better for both playability and bang for buck? I came back here and have looked at some of threads related to Racetracks and I was immediately horrified I had made a terrible decision! I keep seeing peeking at your cards and clanking of chips when your shuffling them being the biggest issues.

Please talk me off the ledge guys as I'm a little bit upset!

View attachment 1017531View attachment 1017532View attachment 1017534View attachment 1017535View attachment 1017536
I would take that table in a heartbeat. I have a Barrington, and I gotta tell you....I HATE IT!! I got it as a portable table and the damn thing weighs 800 pounds.

As far as the race track goes, you'll find a lot of people that don't like them, but I don't mind them at all.

Long story short, I'm here to save you my friend!!. You load that thing up, drive down to VA, and I'll give you my Barrington along with gas money to cover your trip. See.....problem solved!! :) Oh, bring a buddy to help us load the Barrington...LOL.

I love the look of your table. :tup: My first table was very similar to the one you have. A ten seat with the racetrack and cup holders. All the guys liked playing on it. I still have that table, but I have transformed it from a ten seat to an 8 seat table, because I found that seating 10 was cramped for elbow room. After much changing, the table from then to now is not recognizable.
I removed the rail, redid it and raised it, with FCOB LED in white pex behind plexiglass with suit decals attached to the plexi. I redid the racetrack with plywood, only cut 8 cup holders, and changed my speedcloth with a custom cloth. I added pull out slider snack trays under the top, and made new table solid legs to replace the folding legs. My table stays in its own space in the poker room.

I love the look of your table. :tup: My first table was very similar to the one you have. A ten seat with the racetrack and cup holders. All the guys liked playing on it. I still have that table, but I have transformed it from a ten seat to an 8 seat table, because I found that seating 10 was cramped for elbow room. After much changing, the table from then to now is not recognizable.
I removed the rail, redid it and raised it, with FCOB LED in white pex behind plexiglass with suit decals attached to the plexi. I redid the racetrack with plywood, only cut 8 cup holders, and changed my speedcloth with a custom cloth. I added pull out slider snack trays under the top, and made new table solid legs to replace the folding legs. My table stays in its own space in the poker room.
Pics or it didn’t happened

I like my racetrack. We play tournaments at my home game, and use an All In token instead of pushing our entire stacks into the middle. So the raised playing area doesn't impact game play at all. Works really well for us. If I could do anything differently, I would probably keep the racetrack, but put the cupholders in the rail.

1668012321059.png

Ya I would love to see some pictures of your table! Sounds like you did a great job.

I'm very happy with how my table looks for sure. I'll report back and take some pics of it in action after this weekend!

..... If I could do anything differently, I would probably keep the racetrack, but put the cupholders in the rail.

View attachment 1020748
++1 this ^^^^

I rebuilt one of my tables that previously had drink holders in the rail, but left them out of the rebuild. I HATED it so much that I re-did the rail and put the cup holders back in.

I like my racetrack. We play tournaments at my home game, and use an All In token instead of pushing our entire stacks into the middle. So the raised playing area doesn't impact game play at all. Works really well for us. If I could do anything differently, I would probably keep the racetrack, but put the cupholders in the rail.
You forgot to mention the most exciting feature on your table!
The beer geyser. More reliable than Old Faithful. A thrill for all most ages.

Fixed that issue with the little bit of plywood showing using Irish's method. Can't see it, just blend into the felt. Worked like a charm, thanks for that!

If you want to hide the exposed wood portion around the playing area, run to Joann's and get some decorative cord to run around the perimeter of the raised area.

Example: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/table-showcase-pics.17451/post-314916

I don't think there's much you can do to fix the rail other than applying some leather repair tape. Won't look the greatest but may help that rip from getting worse.

Had a totally different question, but what's the preference on cup holders in the front of the player or to the side on a racetrack type table? I feel like it's meant to be to the side to get more surface of the wood?

Pics of the first game coming soon.

20221110_153021.jpg
20221110_202701.jpg

Assuming you want to cut the cup holders into the racetrack? If so, I typically recommend putting them between players. When they're in the rail, I put them directly in front of each player.

Assuming you want to cut the cup holders into the racetrack? If so, I typically recommend putting them between players. When they're in the rail, I put them directly in front of each player.
Ya they are already in the table.
20221110_215006.jpg

what's the preference on cup holders in the front of the player or to the side on a racetrack type table?
I prefer to have them left and right, but the table legs will be the real determining factor. You cant sit somewhere where you will bang your legs against the table all night.

That said, the table is a little like chips. When you get a better one you can always sell the current one. I'm included I'm the group that does not like racetracks, but if the table stays up between games, it does look nice. I almost built a racetrack table for my second table - then I played on one. I would never buy one for my own use, but would not refuse to play on one either.

If the choice is between a table with slide-under cupholders with ceramic chips, or cupholders in a racetrack table with THC Paulsons, I'll sit with the ceramics.

Fixed that issue with the little bit of plywood showing using Irish's method. Can't see it, just blend into the felt. Worked like a charm, thanks for that!

Had a totally different question, but what's the preference on cup holders in the front of the player or to the side on a racetrack type table? I feel like it's meant to be to the side to get more surface of the wood?

Pics of the first game coming soon.

View attachment 1021759View attachment 1021760
The cup holder debates are among the most passionately opinionated yet totally subjective on PFC. Do what you like.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom