BOOKS - What are you reading? (1 Viewer)

Reread the Foundation series not too long ago... didn't know there was a movie.. have to check that out
Currently rereading Dune in anticipation of the new movie
Reread The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson... 3 trilogies for those who can hang in that long. Read several
others by Donaldson long ago but can't recall the titles

I’m a big non-fiction fan mostly. Currently reading “The Splendid and The Vile” which is about Winston Churchill and his family during the Blitz. Fascinating read and although I’ve read many books about Churchill this one is unique in the depth and richness of personal stories taken from the diaries of those closest to him. Highly recommend to anyone with interest in WWII.

Last few fiction books I read:
- Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (great fantasy series, but only has books 1&2 out of 3 a la ASOIAF by George RR Martin)
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Im looking for some great recommendations.

I used to read voraciously up until my late 30s. Have taking more than a few years hiatus. I think life/ work have taken away my focus. But I still remember how happy I am when im deep into a great book.
I'd like to get back to that.

I also used to read religiously. Then life got busy and I never picked it up again. Following for inspiration to get back into it!

I read a bit of everything.

Currently reading a science fiction novel "The Three-Body Problem".. a Hugo award winner.

...Han

One Series/ Author I just couldn't get into was Terry Pratchets Discworld

NO idea why, just did nothing for me.

Actually maybe it was too whimsical. And was a fantasy world without any real purpose to the story. Not sure. If anyone wants to change my mind, Id be open to listen.

Did you try "Small Gods," "Thief of Time," or "Night Watch"? (In imo descending order of excellence.)

I'm not much of a sci-fi or fantasy reader, but I'd read any Discworld thing Pratchett wrote. OTOH, his collaborations leave me cold, especially with Neil Gaiman.

"Ook!"

- Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (great fantasy series, but only has books 1&2 out of 3 a la ASOIAF by George RR Martin)
Patrick Rothfuss can do one along with George RR Martin. I hate those guys for not finishing their series.

I'm a big fantasy reader, but I also could never get into Terry Pratchett.

Have you read "Thinner"? (My favorite Bachman by far...)

if it was in the collection of short stories with Running Man , The Long Walk then yes.
If not no and I’ll look it up.
Did see the (bad) movie though

Last edited:

McMurtry's a great writer, though his western-themed works are not my cup of tea.

"Paradise", a memoir about his own travels on a tramp steamer to Tahiti, is excellent, and I really liked "Cadillac Jack," about a bookman, as well.

And his son, James, is a great writer, too -- but of music. We head to the Continental Club in Austin on Wednesday nights whenever we can get there. We're catching him on September 18 at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, though -- our first ~post-COVID travel...

Have you ever seen a movie after reading the book and really liked it ?

I actually thought The Martian was very well done. The book was still better though (also a good recommendation for this thread).

Back in the day I read a lot of Robert Ludlums books. I remember really enjoying the Bourne Identity series.

What an awesome thread! I'm an avid reader of all sorts of genres and love giving and getting book recommendations.

@MatB, based on your stated interests/history, I'd recommend The Passage Trilogy Series by Justin Cronin (blurred genres - Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, post-apocalyptic) I don't gravitate towards series usually, but this is top-notch. Highly recommend.

If you like "old" Stephen King, you will love Joe Hill, who is actually his son. He has several novels (Horns, Heart Shaped Box, The Fireman, NOS4A2) and a couple short story collections. Very gifted horror writer. And a spitting image of his father.

So I cheated in the thread title because it doesn't look like there's a thread on books? weird. Maybe I missed something.

Anyway im looking for a couple of things

A) Really good book recommendations.

B) any feedback on the Issac Asimov- Foundation series. I just watched the trailer for it and I stopped so I wouldn't get any spoilers and thought WOW, that looks like it would be a great book.

I remember reading all of Orson Scott Cards "Ender" series. (brilliant and highly recommended btw) And being blown away by some of the parallels with real life society/ human behavior. Pretty sure all intentional by the author, but somehow the way its written in a book can seem to make more sense.

I read in spurts, and this last year or so I've been on a reading kick. I prefer Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Thrillers. I wish I could get into non-Fiction, but I just have a hard time keeping interested in it. Guess I'll have to stick to documentaries and podcasts for that.

Regarding Asimov, I started this year with "I, Robot" which is more of a collection of short stories tied together with a thru line, and then book 1 of 3 in "The Robot Series" called "Caves of Steel" - both were good short reads, and I plan to finish the Robot Series at some point this year. I think I read somewhere that The Robot Series somewhat sets the stage for Foundation. Not necessary to read it first, but it gives you some understanding of the universe...I think Foundation happens in the future relative to Robot. Anyway, I plan to read Foundation at some point in the future.

Other great sci-fi, that I've read...in loose order of recommendation:
  1. The Expanse Series (book 1 is Leviathan Wakes) - set in the near future, emphasis on space travel, technologically "realistic", highly recommend this series. The Amazon show is great, and actually quite true to the books, but of course, the books are better. The last book (9) is releasing later this year.
  2. Ender Quintet and Shadow Quintet - I am currently finishing up the Ender Quintet. I'm about 2/3 through Children of the Mind. The series is one of my favorites and I wanted to re-read it this year. Highly recommend you re-visit them if it's been a while. The Shadow Quintet is also great if you haven't ever read it. It follows Ender's friends after the events of Ender's Game. Not nearly as philosophical as the main series though from what I remember.
  3. Dune - I re-read the first recently in anticipation of the movie coming out. (I tend to do that with upcoming movies based on books.) The first book is highly lauded for a reason...it's really good...but it's also kind of hard to get into. Herbert has an interesting writing style. YMMV but anyone who is into sci-fi should give it a look.
  4. Red Rising Saga - this series kind of has a "YA vibe", so YMMV but I tend to enjoy YA so that facet didn't bother me. Cool future dystopian setting.
  5. Brilliance Trilogy - easy reading sci-fi thriller. Really more of a thriller with a sci-fi setting and elements, so YMMV if you don't like thrillers.
Fantasy recommendations:
  1. Mistborn Saga - if you like fantasy, you have to read this series. The first book is essentially a heist story with a victorian era setting and a really interesting magic system. Can't recommend this series enough.
  2. A Song of Ice and Fire - GoT is good, but of course, the books are better. I just wish GRRM would finish the damn thing.
  3. The Witcher series - start with The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny short stories and then dive into Blood of Elves. If you like the setting/premise of the video games or the Netflix show, the books are good.
I'm currently reading through Jack Carr's Terminal List series. It's been an enjoyable thriller if you're interested in that genre. In my queue are: the follow-up Quintet to the Mistborn Saga, Ender's Shadow Quintet, Dune #4, a series my buddy lent me called Raven (Vikings, historical fiction), and maybe The Stormlight Archive.

Love @gopherblue recommendation of Neal Stephenson, I’d also try his novels Reamde and of course Snow Crash although his style was much different in Snow Crash

Of course there’s always William Gibson and his Sprawl trilogy(Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive)

I'm big into philosophy and my partner bought me a year's subscription to Philosophy Now magazine which also gives me access to all the older publications and podcasts. I prefer to read theory instead of narratives. Most narratives are terrible imho.

I read the Bible daily
As someone who was raised Catholic and always had a fascination with religion, I have read the bible cover to cover. When I was younger, I thought it was something important to do considering how many people think the bible is so important, and how many people consider themselves religious and believe in a god. I did kind of gloss over some sections though (such as the lists of lineages for example).

I read the Bible daily
In my younger years, I read it all the way through, as well as the Apocrypha and other related writings. In my wandering years after getting out of the army after Vietnam, I even took a course called "History of Religion" at Rutgers.

I thought the book of Numbers was quite useful, but Kings I and II didn't help my game much, and the section on PLO was really weak.

(Nevertheless, if you're looking for something interesting to read, I highly recommend "The Gnostic Gospels" and "The Origin of Satan," by Elaine Pagels of Princeton University.)

Some amazing reads. Evvie Drake is completely unlike the others.

Also a huge fan of Tana French, Lisa Jewell (the newer stuff), Michael Connelly, Lee Child, and Nelson DeMille.
9CDE93AF-E8C2-4225-867F-87147459E742.jpeg
D126EBE9-67CC-4B3D-9AD5-4BA2593B289A.jpeg

think ive only read a couple from John Grisham

Was a HUGE fan of Stephen King. Loved the Bachman Books and Pet Cemetery. He kind of jumped the shark for me with Geralds Game. Thats when I gave up on quality writing from him anymore.

Grisham: Playing for Pizza
King: 11/22/63

Great books- and very different for each author.

Alastair Reynolds is also great space opera although his character dialog is a bit lacking in his early novels IMO

I was going to recommend him, specifically the Revelation Space series. Maybe start with Chasm City.

If space opera is your jam try Iain M. Banks too.

Attempted to get through the uneditted version of Stephen King's THE STAND. ... all 1200 pages....

Please can someone encourage me here. I am finding that I do not like his style.

A wise friend shared his rule: if you don’t like a book after 50 pages, move on. Don’t waste your time.

I 've grown too lazy AND busy to read any fiction prose.

I would only recommend poetry, when it comes to literature. Find the great Constantin Cavaffy in translation (I guess by Robert Keely, in English).

While on summer vacations, I go back to two of my most beloved readings:
-The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism by Max Webber (I even got laid, for the wrong reasons, years ago, with a Communist girl, for reading that book on the beach).
-The Struggle Against Communist Insurgency in Greece, 1944-49 by General Zapheiropoulos.
That won't get you laid anywhere. :)

@kerami :p

Last edited:
Attempted to get through the uneditted version of Stephen King's THE STAND. ... all 1200 pages....

Please can someone encourage me here. I am finding that I do not like his style.

the 2 part movie was terrible. Only the hint at a possible sex scene kept me interested.

Spoiler alert. There isn’t one

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom