BOOKS - What are you reading? (2 Viewers)

MatB

Royal Flush
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
So I cheated in the thread title because it doesn't look like there's a thread on books? weird. Maybe I missed something.

Anyway im looking for a couple of things

A) Really good book recommendations.

B) any feedback on the Issac Asimov- Foundation series. I just watched the trailer for it and I stopped so I wouldn't get any spoilers and thought WOW, that looks like it would be a great book.

Im looking for some great recommendations.

I used to read voraciously up until my late 30s. Have taking more than a few years hiatus. I think life/ work have taken away my focus. But I still remember how happy I am when im deep into a great book.
I'd like to get back to that.

I also used to read voraciously, but I’d gotten away from it. In the past year or two, I’ve come to embrace reading glasses and all a sudden I’m a reader again!
But so far I’ve just been reading crap from John Grisham and Stephen King.

think ive only read a couple from John Grisham

Was a HUGE fan of Stephen King. Loved the Bachman Books and Pet Cemetery. He kind of jumped the shark for me with Geralds Game. Thats when I gave up on quality writing from him anymore.

I read:
  1. PCF
  2. Reddit
  3. Yahoo News
  4. Fortunes
  5. Palms
  6. Minds
  7. Song lyrics, but only from CD case inserts
  8. Cookbooks (Martha Stewart fucks my shit up)
  9. Anything by L Ron Hubbard (OT VIII, son)
  10. The tag of yo momma's bra on my floor
In reality, I'm an idiot. My brain waved bye-bye years ago. All I do is read PCF and laugh at all the whiny bitches who take shit way too seriously.

keep em' coming

Blindsight by Peter Watts. I can't tell if this is the worst book I ever read or the best. Anyway, it's interesting if you like dystopian science fiction. Would recommend.

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Another dystopian science fiction recommendation that deals with time dilation and points out how impossible galactic wars would be.

I read the Foundation series back in high school and loved it, I highly recommend it. The Dune series was another good one, I have that on my list to re-read prior to the new movie coming out.

Absolutely couldn't get enough of Cormac McCarthy too.

His style is so original

I read the Foundation series back in high school and loved it, I highly recommend it. The Dune series was another good one, I have that on my list to re-read prior to the new movie coming out.

this is what I wanted to here.

I read Dune so long ago I can't even remember reading it. LOL

think ive only read a couple from John Grisham

Was a HUGE fan of Stephen King. Loved the Bachman Books and Pet Cemetery. He kind of jumped the shark for me with Geralds Game. Thats when I gave up on quality writing from him anymore.
Wow, yeah. I’ve read just about everything he wrote, prior to the ‘90s, multiple times - couldn’t get enough of the stuff - It, The Stand, Pet Semetary, Tommyknockers . . .
I found the stuff he’s written since to be a mixed bag. Gerald’s game is a good example of a book I didn’t really care for. But I found the ending of that to be so chillingly creepy that it’s almost worth it. Anyway, I kept reading for a while, and like I said, some of them, like Dreamcatcher, grew on me. And then I stopped reading. So now there are probably 10-15 new King books that I’ll have to catch up on - hopefully he’s still cranking out at least some good stories.

Wow, yeah. I’ve read just about everything he wrote, prior to the ‘90s, multiple times - couldn’t get enough of the stuff - It, The Stand, Pet Semetary, Tommyknockers . . .
I found the stuff he’s written since to be a mixed bag. Gerald’s game is a good example of a book I didn’t really care for. But I found the ending of that to be so chillingly creepy that it’s almost worth it. Anyway, I kept reading for a while, and like I said, some of them, like Dreamcatcher, grew on me. And then I stopped reading. So now there are probably 10-15 new King books that I’ll have to catch up on - hopefully he’s still cranking out at least some good stories.

In the 90s it seemed like there was a book a week from him.

I really like Insomnia ( I think that's the name) Was very different style from the norm

Its a shame they made all the great stories into really bad movies. Only a few were actually decent. Christine in the 'good' category.

I read the Silo series a few years ago. (Wool, Dust etc)

Thought they were brilliant. Was disappointed they ended

What was funny, I actually started book 3 by accident before book 2 but it still worked.

this is what I wanted to here.

I read Dune so long ago I can't even remember reading it. LOL

Same here, both were 25+ years ago lol. Foundation was interesting, it had the sci-fi edge to it but I remember it being pretty f#cked up from a sociological perspective. Given the current state of the world it may actually cut a little closer to the bone than it did back then...

I remember reading all of Orson Scott Cards "Ender" series. (brilliant and highly recommended btw) And being blown away by some of the parallels with real life society/ human behavior. Pretty sure all intentional by the author, but somehow the way its written in a book can seem to make more sense.

One Series/ Author I just couldn't get into was Terry Pratchets Discworld

NO idea why, just did nothing for me.

Actually maybe it was too whimsical. And was a fantasy world without any real purpose to the story. Not sure. If anyone wants to change my mind, Id be open to listen.

Last edited:
Playing Off The Rail : A Pool Hustler’s Journey.

Playing Off The Rail : A Pool Hustler’s Journey.

TY.
I'm not a hustler but I do love playing Pool ( and gambling)

TY.
I'm not a hustler but I do love playing Pool ( and gambling)
I’m not even a huge pool fan but I love books/movies about gambling and being on the road so this book satisfies that criteria. Lots of colorful characters and pool hall stories of times past.

I’m not even a huge pool fan but I love books/movies about gambling and being on the road so this book satisfies that criteria. Lots of colorful characters and pool hall stories of times past.

@pltrgyst recommended The Baltimore Truth

great fictional poker book

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom