BOOKS - What are you reading? (3 Viewers)

Some sci-fi that I found enlightening as well as entertaining:

Arthur C Clarke - Childhood's End (1953)
Ursula K. Le Guin - The Left Hand of Darkness (1969)
Dan Simmons - Hyperion (1989) & The Fall of Hyperion (1990)
Becky Chambers - A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet (2014) and the sequels

I would only recommend poetry, when it comes to literature.

Have you read Milosz? I don't know if his works have been translated into Greek. This edited piece sums it up for me.

Ars Poetica?

BY CZESLAW MILOSZ
TRANSLATED BY CZESLAW MILOSZ AND LILLIAN VALLEE

I have always aspired to a more spacious form
that would be free from the claims of poetry or prose
and would let us understand each other without exposing
the author or reader to sublime agonies.

In the very essence of poetry there is something indecent:
a thing is brought forth which we didn’t know we had in us,
so we blink our eyes, as if a tiger had sprung out
and stood in the light, lashing his tail.

The purpose of poetry is to remind us
how difficult it is to remain just one person,
for our house is open, there are no keys in the doors,
and invisible guests come in and out at will.

What I'm saying here is not, I agree, poetry,
as poems should be written rarely and reluctantly,
under unbearable duress and only with the hope
that good spirits, not evil ones, choose us for their instrument.

Berkeley, 1968

... from The Collected Poems 1931-1987

Ready Player One
-Ernest Cline

Yes, there is a movie....and yes I liked the movie. The book is still worth the read though. Especially nostalgic if you are of a certain age (let's be honest, if you didnt grow up in the 70's/80's, the nostalgia will be lost on you.)

EDIT: also a bonus to this book: it's not super long and it is not a part of a trilogy. Great book to read while on a short vacation or if you have a plane ride coming up.

A Painted House
-John Grisham

***this is waaaaay different from your standard Grisham book. I like Grisham, but his books definitely run on a loop. This one is not a young lawyer on the run book. Sorry, also not a sci-fi book...it's about growing up on a farm in Arkansas in the 50's. Very well done.

I am currently reading a series by former SEAL team operator Jack Carr (The Terminal List, True Believer, and whatever the next three are). They aren't that well done, but it's kinda like romance novels for women...they don't have to be well done to be entertaining. Also, a buddy gave me all 5, so I have to get thru them to be able to return them all!

But if you like war stuff, Clancy is king...and his crown achievement is Hunt for Red October. Love the book, love the movie. I may be biased to liking this one though. While we are on the subject of movies that hold up to the books, Jurassic Park held up. It is probably the best example of a movie holding up to the book.

Ready Player One
-Ernest Cline

Yes, there is a movie....and yes I liked the movie. The book is still worth the read though. Especially nostalgic if you are of a certain age (let's be honest, if you didnt grow up in the 70's/80's, the nostalgia will be lost on you.)

EDIT: also a bonus to this book: it's not super long and it is not a part of a trilogy. Great book to read while on a short vacation or if you have a plane ride coming up.

Just from a younger generation's POV I had a strangely weird secondhand nostalgia because my dad would talk about all the things in the book and expose me to a lot of them when I was growing up and I had actually watched/listened to most of the pop culture references (he's a stage electrician/production manager of a venue so big into all types of music). I think it's a great book (didn't love the movie as much though)!

I'm trying to read more at night instead of watching TV. I recently got a new/used Kindle from Amazon Warehouse Deals to replace the one my son took over from me, and right now I am reading Pushing Ice, a sci-fi first contact novel buy Alastair Reynolds. I am really enjoying it so far.

Speaking of first contact novels, Carl Sagan's Contact is a brilliant novel that every sci-fi fan should read.

Ready Player One
-Ernest Cline

I enjoyed Ready Player One, and even as a 80s/90s kid I still got a lot of the nostalgia. Guess it will depend somewhat on your childhood. The movie was fun, definitely not as good as the book, but they did a good job staying mostly faithful if I remember it correctly.

I am currently reading a series by former SEAL team operator Jack Carr (The Terminal List, True Believer, and whatever the next three are). They aren't that well done, but it's kinda like romance novels for women...they don't have to be well done to be entertaining. Also, a buddy gave me all 5, so I have to get thru them to be able to return them all!

But if you like war stuff, Clancy is king...and his crown achievement is Hunt for Red October. Love the book, love the movie. I may be biased to liking this one though. While we are on the subject of movies that hold up to the books, Jurassic Park held up. It is probably the best example of a movie holding up to the book.

I'm enjoying the James Reece novels as well (Terminal List, etc.) Yes, perhaps they don't quite reach Clancy levels, but I'm finding them very entertaining. I'm looking forward to the Amazon show.

------------

I picked up The Martian for free on Audible. I'd seen the movie years back and I'm enjoying the book...in audio format anyway. I'd say that the book has been better than the movie. Books have the luxury of time and of imagination that you just can't get in movie format.

I enjoyed Ready Player One, and even as a 80s/90s kid I still got a lot of the nostalgia. Guess it will depend somewhat on your childhood. The movie was fun, definitely not as good as the book, but they did a good job staying mostly faithful if I remember it correctly.

I'm enjoying the James Reece novels as well (Terminal List, etc.) Yes, perhaps they don't quite reach Clancy levels, but I'm finding them very entertaining. I'm looking forward to the Amazon show.

------------

I picked up The Martian for free on Audible. I'd seen the movie years back and I'm enjoying the book...in audio format anyway. I'd say that the book has been better than the movie. Books have the luxury of time and of imagination that you just can't get in movie format.
Didnt know about the amazon show! Woot! I'll have to settle in with my Trademark "Black Rifle Coffee Co" cup of coffee for that one. Nice plug, buddy, nice plug.

I am reading "Space at the table" at the moment.

it's a conversation between an Evangelical Theologian and his gay son.

Good to see some King fans in here! I made good on a resolution to read a novel this summer after many years of failure.

Picked up The Shining and it’s been quite good. Tracks the movie pretty well, though with far more detail and character development. About 200pg in and they have just started taking care of the Overlook on their own.

I am a little skeptical of sharing this private issue publicly, but this book CHANGED MY LIFE.

If anyone here suffers from the same affliction, I can only hope you too can find solace in this book.

20211201_194818.jpg

I just finished The Devil's Hand. I agree Clancy is king (my personal favorite is Without Remorse), but I have really enjoyed Carr's books.

Dune has been mentioned a few times. I read it for the first time recently in advance of watching the (new) movie.. I checked out Wikipedia and discovered that it is actually part 1 of a 6 part series by the original author (Frank Herbert). I then read all 6 and was quite impressed, especially considering that I'm not really a sci-fi aficionado.

The author's son (Brian Herbert) took over the franchise and wrote several (14?) prequels and several short stories, as well as two "sequels" that wrapped up the storyline from the original 6 volumes. I skipped the prequels and short stories, but read the 2 sequels, and they were not as bad as I feared they might be, following the same style as the originals for the most part. The ending of the last book seemed a bit like they tried to tie up too many threads in too pat of a fashion, but overall I highly recommend reading the whole series (original 6 plus 2 sequels)..

BTW, I switched to e-books (Kobo) a few years ago, and I read a LOT more books now. If you know where to look, you can find almost any book you can think of (and quite a few that you would never think of) in electronic format.

A few mainstream (non sci-fi) authors I like (mostly crime/detective/lawyer genre):

P.D. James
Jeffery Deaver
John Sandford
Ian Rankin
John Lescroart
James Lee Burke
Greg Iles
John Irving
Patricia Cornwell
Kathy Reichs
John Grisham
JD Robb
Faye Kellerman
Jonathon Kellerman
John LeCarre
David Baldacci
Lee Child
Michael Connelly
Stuart Woods

My go-to these days is John Sandford's "Prey" series. Discovered Sandford through the Kidd series of novels, and then found the Prey series (currently working through Neon Prey) and the Virgil Flowers series (Bloody Genius is next to read). The books tend to be formulaic, but entertaining.

Been slooooowly reading through the Malazan book of the fallen series. Absolutely phenomenal world and character building, its just a lot at times. Not particularly a "relaxing" read when you have to remember 540 characters in your head.

Currently re-reading The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan. I've got Chasing Space by Leland Melvin on deck.

1642179801039.png

1642179819414.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom