Boardgamer discovering the world of poker chips (1 Viewer)

pythoner6

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm not into poker myself, but as an avid boardgamer I love having high quality components playing games, and far too many games have crappy cardboard chip coins. I have a few games with metal coins, but for others poker chips can be a great substitute (which tbh I hadn't thought of much until I saw some people playing train games like Age of Steam with poker chips for money). For the moment I got a cheapo set of dice chips, which are a big step up from cardboard, but really I'm going to be looking to get something nicer once I really figure out what I want.

As a fellow board gamer, I completely agree. You’ll see we use chips in any game we can (if you search the board game loot thread). There are lots of options for making you own chips.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm going to end up going for something custom eventually - I've seen so many sets that just don't click for me. Currently at the point of starting to get some samples of what I can and figuring out what I actually do want; I fully expect it to be quite a while before I seriously consider ordering anything custom.

Welcome to PCF, fellow tabletop gamer! It really is a similar vibe, collecting the two hobbies. Both have a fun, tactile element to them, and of course the social element of having people over to play.

Yeah, over the pandemic I played a fair bit of boardgames virtually, but it really isn't the same without that tactile element. It's nice to be back to playing stuff in person

Welcome to PCF!

Lots of board gamers like Apache's Bank chips. Maybe you've seen these before but in case you haven't, their railroad mold makes it a nice thematic addition for train games.

1691964281973.jpeg

Hello and welcome. Good luck on finding or putting together your perfect set of chips which will be immediately followed by your next perfect set of chips, which will of course be followed by... well you get the point!

Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Lots of board gamers like Apache's Bank chips. Maybe you've seen these before but in case you haven't, their railroad mold makes it a nice thematic addition for train games.
I definitely think I'm going to want something train themed, but the bank chips aren't quite it for me, thanks for the recommendation though :)
Good luck on finding or putting together your perfect set of chips which will be immediately followed by your next perfect set of chips, which will of course be followed by... well you get the point!
As someone who plays a variety of games, I'm definitely starting to see how I could easily devolve into wanting a myriad of sets with different themes for different games

I definitely think I'm going to want something train themed, but the bank chips aren't quite it for me, thanks for the recommendation though :)
Yeah everyone's taste is different. Curious about what else you've seen that you like

Welcome to PCF. Hadn't really thought about using chips in board games until recently, but it makes sense.

Yeah everyone's taste is different. Curious about what else you've seen that you like
Tbh a lot of the sets I see feel like there's just too many clashing colors for my tastes. Though I think I've been getting more acclimated to that having looked at more
Welcome! Once you have one quality set, 2 more suddenly seem like a great idea haha!!
Yeah I'm going to start with one. But a ways down the road I could totally see being sucked into wanting more.

Tbh a lot of the sets I see feel like there's just too many clashing colors for my tastes. Though I think I've been getting more acclimated to that having looked at more
Yeah vibrant, saturated chips are very popular here, but not everyone's cup of tea.

You can always design your own if you don't see anything on the market that you like. Custom chips start at around $0.35/chip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom