board games to online poker and back again … (1 Viewer)

pkrchp

High Hand
Reaction score
I’ve played all my life. At the age of 13 or 14 a friend and I played poker for pennies with other teens – most often until they ran out of pocket money ;) As a young adult I deep dived into board games, but didn’t think about poker anymore. Then came 2003 and the post-Moneymaker years flooded even the German market with poker on TV and supplies in stores. A friend of mine picked up a set and with a few other people we dabbled in NLH a bit. Well, they didn’t want to play for money so it was rather lame. But I did :)
So I went online (on cdpoker.com iirc, later mostly Party and Stars) and worked my way up from bonus-whore to usually a few hours daily with up to a dozen tables 0.5-1 / 1-2 NL and later on $10 and $20 SnGs. It paid the bills, was fun a long time, but grinding became somewhat tedious in the long run. After I was done with my studies I phased out and only played occasional tourneys. Then came Black Friday and I had no incentive to get back to even emptier ponds ;)
All through this time I developed a knack for heavier board games which only intensified in recent years. Someday 1830 crossed my path, but sadly didn’t stuck. Recently I played some more 18xx and for the first time really felt the need to get at least decent chips. Even though simple ABS chips do work quite well for 18xx I know I won’t tolerate them for much longer. So here I am looking at Paulsons, CPCs … and drooling ;) Crap!

Welcome... I am not familiar with the 18xx series of games... however have become aware of them when others have inquired about chips for them. There are some threads here. Good luck in your ventures.

Welcome! I've only been here for a couple of days and noticed that there's quite the influx of new ppl looking for chips for 18xx games; myself included :). Still looking for a good source in Europe to avoid heavy shipping & import taxes.

Welcome, welcome. I picked up a small sample set of abs from CSG. I'm right there with you. They'll get you by, but just don't compare to holding real chips.

There are some threads here.
There are and I found them … and many other interesting threads, hence I registered to contribute when I can.
quite the influx of new ppl looking for chips for 18xx games
18xx is on the rise in recent years and rightfully so :)
Still looking for a good source in Europe to avoid heavy shipping & import taxes.
Me too. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for Josh Starr of Grand Trunk Games coming through with his idea (BGG: Poker chip recommendations) and combining it with a distribution model that fits our (European/non-US) needs better than ordering from US-based shops. (Maybe even in his upcoming 1861/1867 kickstarter?)

I recently built a (mostly) unlabeled Apache Magestic set for 18xx, a little over 400 chips:

pic4781779.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom