Board Gamers, show us your loot! (2 Viewers)

On the opposite side of the spectrum, we played one of my favorite light weight high-variance games last night in Lords of Vegas, using my Paris chips for money. For as many times as the designers have crowdfunded and republished this & its expansions in recent years, I really wish the game would get a proper art & component makeover, but regardless it’s a riot to play, especially with the aggressive gambling rules and the ability to stack your opponents bankroll (or give them a huge amount of free money lol). Will always recommend this game.
View attachment 1062931
I love this game so much. It's been a crowd pleaser in the past where other nearby people have gotten interested, with a lot of yelling encouraged.
They actually kickstarted a remake and expansion last year:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...th-anniversary-boss-bundle-and-underworld-set

Love Lords of Vegas.

Best played super-super sized.
285845_10150730985935632_7504148_o.jpg

Playing one of my all-time favorites tonight: Lisboa. This game is about as close to a perfect design as I think exists, for the heavy strategy space.

If your group enjoys Vital's game, am sure you are looking forward to his latest WEATHER MACHINE? We just tabled that 2 weeks back in our meetup and it was a blast. I was not in that table but those who played certainly rated this high among Vital's list.

BGC23_IMG_20230114_133242.jpg

BGC23_IMG_20230114_162436.jpg

We are back with another WAR ROOM sessions. This time we ran two tables of 4 players each and did the shorter NORTH AFRICA scenario, comprising two teams of two (US / UK) vs (Germany / Italy). Poor UK (in my table) was hammered into Economic Collapse!!

Seems the shorter scenarios are just as fun as the full Global War. Plus these scenarios play in just 5-6 hrs (for North Africa). We'll be looking to try out the rest of the scenarios!!

BGC23_IMG_20230206_161848.jpg

BGC23_IMG_20230206_161903.jpg

BGC23_IMG_20230206_192903.jpg

There was another table doing (another great game!) 6-player JOHN COMPANY! Next time any of you in KL (Malaysia), hit me up for a session or two.

View attachment 1075326
I have yet to get John Company to the table but only because I finally got my group into TI4 and I’ve managed to get a 5p game every two weeks. You can bet your ass I won’t be doing anything to rock that boat. I feel like I’ve struck gold having biweekly TI games

I have yet to get John Company to the table but only because I finally got my group into TI4 and I’ve managed to get a 5p game every two weeks. You can bet your ass I won’t be doing anything to rock that boat. I feel like I’ve struck gold having biweekly TI games

Maybe one day you'll get to do weekly and then it'll be Ti4 alternating with John Company!!

Not sure if you've all seen this but I think about it everytime Im trying to teach a new game. Was suckered into teaching my wife's work friends how to play The Thing game, was pretty brutal.

Perfect quotes: 'you're really tough to be around'
'Yes Ill play again! Once I realized...'

Met @FDLmold this weekend and picked up a horde of games from him. It's always great to meet another longtime PCF'er!
2023-02-13 14.39.43.jpg

I can't leave feedback because this wasn't a classified thread deal, but he was an absolute pleasure to deal with, and his packing was spectacular!

I also can't begin to tell you how glad I was to see he stored cards and chits in Ziploc bags as opposed to rubber bands (or just loose). If you ever need to do another purge, I hope to know about it!

Solid bunch of pick-ups! Orleans is an all-time favorite for me, for sure. I really want to buy a huge set for Pitch Car one of these days, too. I love crokinole and turning it into a modular racing game is just *chef's kiss*

Oh, and the pizza triangles in Petrichor are for elevating the clouds above the playing surface. I had to buy like 100 of those and share the extras. It was the smallest amount you could purchase.

I used to have a bunch of those "pizza tables" for certain RPG/war games in my youth. Then again, we ate a lot of pizza in my high school/college gaming groups. . The guy with the minis kept them all. It'll be nice to have ones that don't smell like double peperoni.

Solid bunch of pick-ups! Orleans is an all-time favorite for me, for sure. I really want to buy a huge set for Pitch Car one of these days, too. I love crokinole and turning it into a modular racing game is just *chef's kiss*

Yeah +1 to this. You can't do wrong with any of these titles you picked up!

Love board games. Catan, Risk and good old Monopoly are my favorite. Anyone ever play The Farming Game. Fantastic game.

I loved the Farming Game as a kid. Not much game there though. Very few decisions to be made. Arranging the vinyl fields and equipment was always fun.

I loved the Farming Game as a kid. Not much game there though. Very few decisions to be made. Arranging the vinyl fields and equipment was always fun.
haha yeah haven't played it in 15+ years. I think you nailed it with your description lol. @ the time, it was nice to have a change from Monopoly.

@jack208 Do you have a copy of Foundations of Rome? I like what I've seen of it in videos but haven't actually met anyone who's gotten their hands on it yet.

This is the latest big buzz in the Kickstarter space... ANDROMEDA'S EDGE

https://gamefound.com/projects/cardboard-alchemy/andromedas-edge

95dd941a-985f-4ef9-be80-7104a311804e.png
Looks like another typical bloated mess. I'm sure it's fine. But I'm really no longer in the market to spend more than $60 on a single game anymore unless I REALLY think I'm going to like it, like I did with Ark Nova.

As far as all these mechanisms together, the game I love that does basically all of this, and does it better than any game I've ever played, is Ginkgopolis. That game does, drafting, area control, tableau building, resource management in one of the most engaging and cleanest ways possible.

Looks like another typical bloated mess. I'm sure it's fine. But I'm really no longer in the market to spend more than $60 on a single game anymore unless I REALLY think I'm going to like it, like I did with Ark Nova.

As far as all these mechanisms together, the game I love that does basically all of this, and does it better than any game I've ever played, is Ginkgopolis. That game does, drafting, area control, tableau building, resource management in one of the most engaging and cleanest ways possible.
This summarizes 98% of Kickstarter board games for me. Whatever game you’re pitching, I can probably find one that does it better, cleaner, or cheaper.

I dare somebody to play Wonderland’s War and tell me it is not a convoluted, bloated, point salad mess of an area control game.

There is something to be said for games you can teach in 15 minutes or less, but still deliver multiple strategic paths to victory.

There is something to be said for games you can teach in 15 minutes or less, but still deliver multiple strategic paths to victory.
That's why I love Great Western Trail so much. The actions are easy. Take a bandit, discard a pair, move your train, hire a worker, deliver cows, etc - none of them are difficult to explain at all. But combining them into a victorious amount of VPs, well, it's difficult to do, and there are a ton of ways to do it. Probably doesn't fit the 15 min. explanation though.

@jack208 Do you have a copy of Foundations of Rome? I like what I've seen of it in videos but haven't actually met anyone who's gotten their hands on it yet.

I personally don't hve a copy but have seen it in the local community. If you missed that, they are going thru their 2nd Kickstarter now.. for an expansion but the entire series are available thru this Kickstarter campaign.

Yup, that's a table hogger with a huge table presence!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom