Big10 CPC Design (2 Viewers)

I 've always had the issue of staying loyal to my concept and still making a good chip set.
Remember, these are not meant for submission to the College Football Team's museum or trophey room; they are meant to be used as tokens on a poker table. :)

I 've always had the issue of staying loyal to my concept and still making a good chip set.
Remember, these are not meant for submission to the College Football Team's museum or trophey room; they are meant to be used as tokens on a poker table. :)
Definitely a challenge. Only other thing to note is that the $0.25 and $1 chip that have the yellow in them won't be on the table the same time as the $100 chip with yellow in it.

See much less Ohio State now.

I suppose the other way to go with this is to keep Illinois as you 5000, and go Minnesota for the 1000 with a gold base/maroon spots, but that might get too close to orange.

I also think changing the edge spots on the quarter should reduce dirty stack concerns with the two Michigan chips.

Not sure how a dirty stack would happen, one is a dark blue chip and the other is a yellow chip. With small pattern edge spots I think it would be very obvious what the primary color of the chip is.
You would think that it wouldn't happen. You would be wrong,

The brain doesn't distinguish like that. It works in positive and negative spaces. Players will see Yellow. Period. Sure, if someone says "You have a dirty stack", your brain will focus more and spot the one that's out of place, but you are now detracting from the fun of the game to make it a "Where's Waldo" challenge.

There is a reason "standard" colors are a thing. They are extremely easy for the brain to differentiate without conscious thought.

Last edited:
You would think that it wouldn't happen. You would be wrong,

The brain doesn't distinguish like that. It works in positive and negative spaces. Players will see Yellow. Period. Sure, if someone says "You have a dirty stack", your brain will focus more and spot the one that's out of place, but you are now detracting from the fun of the game to make is a "Where's Waldo" challenge.

There is a reason "standard" colors are a thing. They are extremely easy for the brain to differentiate without conscious thought.

Thank you! Someone talking sense here.

Definitely a challenge. Only other thing to note is that the $0.25 and $1 chip that have the yellow in them won't be on the table the same time as the $100 chip with yellow in it.

I don't know about all the brain shit that PZ is talking about. I really believe that you will have dirty stack issues. Yes, the base colors are different. The spot patterns are the same, the base/spot colors are both shared. You will have dirty stack issues. You will also have problems with the chips in the pot.

I have handled a lot of cpc chips/sets. These are two close together.

Also, why have the same spot pattern with the .25 through the 5? It doesn't have to be anything crazy, you can still budget your set using level 1 and 2's for your cash set progression.

Your obviously building a cash and tourney set? is the 25 going to be shared between the two? What about giving your cash set a progression and keeping your tourney set all the same spots?

Just thoughts/thinking out loud. There are some solid poker chip veterans speaking up and trying to help. If I were you I would learn from the error of our ways.

Now saying all that, fuck it. Its your set, if you think your crew won't have a problem then roll with it.

Regardless, being a U of M staff member, I'll need a sample set.

B

Maybe the way around it is blue spots on the maize quarter and white spots on the blue dollar? Then pick a non white spot color for the 5?

Appreciate all the feedback. I will keep refining and come back with design updates. This is one of those sets that will probably go through a hundred updates before it’s ordered. Plus I bought a Rounders set and HSI set this year also have been finishing my basement so I am pretty tapped out for cash! And who knows when the B mild will be running again at CPC so I might have along wait.

I will be pouring some drinks for Thirsty Thursday tomorrow and will work on the design.

67A4A3F9-E4D3-4E31-B684-5163EE124D2A.jpeg

You mentioned this being really 2 different sets.
Cash from 25¢, $1, $5
Tourney $25 , $100, and up

Why not keep the $1 (the workhorse chip in your cash set) representing Michigan and completely change the quarter.

Then, make the $100 or the $1000 (the workhorse chip in the tourney set) also be the blue and gold to represent Michigan.

As it stands now, you have 2 chips together (quarter and dollar) that could cause problems, and you have no Michigan chip in your tourney set.

I would recommend having your frac the OSU chip, keep your blue $1. That way, your M is always more valuable than your OSU. Make the maize chip your $1k for tourneys. Keep the Illinois 5k. I'm smelling a Purdue 25k plaque.

Why not keep the $1 (the workhorse chip in your cash set) representing Michigan and completely change the quarter.

Then, make the $100 or the $1000 (the workhorse chip in the tourney set) also be the blue and gold to represent Michigan.

As it stands now, you have 2 chips together (quarter and dollar) that could cause problems, and you have no Michigan chip in your tourney set.

This is a pretty good idea.

Or my thoughts, the T1000 chip becomes the workhorse and makes up most of the tournament stack in a T10K event. why not just make Michigan the T1000 chip and stick with yellow maize? And then you can even just do a generic "B1G" logo on a Pink T5000 (so you don't have to put another school on higher value), the Gophers probably deserve to be a quarter, so you could do a gold quarter with maroon spots, stick with #TeamBlueDollar for the cash chip for Michigan.

So if I may remake the whole lineup.

0.25 - Gold/Maroon (Minnesota)
1 - Blue/Maize (Michigan)
5 - Red/White (Indiana or fun idea, get inlays for Indiana, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Rutgers and divide them evenly across all red/white chips)
25 - Green/White (gulp, Michigan State, but at least it's the bottom of the tournament set)
100 - Black/Yellow (Iowa or maybe a Black and Red Maryland is better?)
500 - Purple (Northwestern)
1000 - Maize/Blue (Michigan)
5000 - Pink (Generic B1G Ten)

So this way Michigan gets the two most prominent spots in your set. I think you get around all dirty stack issues, Ohio State is noticeably absent which I think is a great feature as well.

Ok, read through a lot of feedback, lets see if I interpreted it all correctly. :)

The one thing I can't do is put the other team logos... really want to keep the M logo throughout the set to show my home school as primary theme. It would also kill me to see a Spartan helmet on my $25. lol

$0.25 - Minnesota
$1 - Michigan
$5 - Indiana/Wisconsin/Nebraska/Rutgers (take your pick depending on your fan status)
$25 - Michigan State
$100 - Penn State (switched from Iowa to remove the Yellow)
$500 - Northwestern (if the white doesn't flow I though about switching it to another shade of purple)
$1k - Michigan
$5k - Illinois (in reality we would rarely see this in play and would only have a barrel or two of them) Could also remove it and create a $20 for the cash set

Big Ten Set - B Mold - v3.png

Only thing that I just noticed might be painful is the L9 spot pattern on the $1...... would really jack up the price on that group of chips.

I've not yet really dug into the CPC custom pricing. I know from reading that it can vary on the mold, but is it also based on the spot pattern?

I've not yet really dug into the CPC custom pricing. I know from reading that it can vary on the mold, but is it also based on the spot pattern?
Oh yes. Mold can change the price by 20% or so but spots are the 2-3-4x multiplier ;)

Only thing that I just noticed might be painful is the L9 spot pattern on the $1...... would really jack up the price on that group of chips.

use 614 spot pattern instead, level 3, much more affordable.

Last edited:
Strange the the thinner edge spots are that much more expensive.
Not sure why but one possible reason could be if they have a 614 punch but only have a 318 so has to be punched twice?

And here is the variation to the Northwestern chip I was considering.

v2 on the left original on the right

1607614472845.png
1607614497237.png

I don't know if this is a fun mental exercise or an actual set to build, but I would be in for a sample set at least, and if you allow piggy-back orders to a fellow alum I would be interested depending on where the CPC pricing end up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom