Big Top or Sunset or ES reorder (1 Viewer)

So you get the chance. And in planning your grail purchase, you realize there are no re-orders. So you buy for every possible contingency, definitely more than you need today...but maybe someday.

And then you realize there is 30% of your chips that will never see the felt.

And then you realize selling those chips you're not using will fetch enough to cover your entire outlay. And while that may feel dirty, you know if you sell at your cost, someone else will realize that profit.

And so you start an auction and become what you loathe.
It’s like we’re brothers.

My only point is that some 'flippers' may not have originally purchased chips to flip. But it sure looks like flipping in hindsight.

Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?" Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!" Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price

Everyone has a price.

You guys bring up some fair points. Greed ruins alot of things. It's unfortunate but a fact of life - even within a forum centered around a hobby.

I guess I'm in the camp that would just order what I would actually use. A cash set with enough bank to support a single table 50c/$1 cash game. Up to perhaps a $5/$5 game. The dream set would be a th&c set that had 39mm 50c, $1, and $5. And 43mm $20 and $100. I'm thinking a rack of 50c and $1, 4 racks of $5s, 2 racks of $20s, and a rack of $100. 900 chips or so. Maybe a few extras of each for backup and sample sets.
So you get the chance. And in planning your grail purchase, you realize there are no re-orders. So you buy for every possible contingency, definitely more than you need today...but maybe someday.

And then you realize there is 30% of your chips that will never see the felt.

And then you realize selling those chips you're not using will fetch enough to cover your entire outlay. And while that may feel dirty, you know if you sell at your cost, someone else will realize that profit.

And so you start an auction and become what you loathe.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO you have to think just slightly outside the box guys!

There's more than two options of sell at market and have some people possibly think of you as greedy or sell below market only to let others profit by selling at market. The third option which addresses both concerns? Sell at market and donate anything above (for example) 300% profit to charity. Boom! Both possible perceived greed and the fear of selling below MV both solved. You get a nice payday and get to share your fortune (with a tax break) with the needy while still being in control of where 100% of the profits go!

There's more than two options of sell at market and have some people possibly think of you as greedy or sell below market only to let others profit by selling at market. The third option which addresses both concerns? Sell at market and donate anything above (for example) 300% profit to charity. Boom! Both possible perceived greed and the fear of selling below MV both solved. You get a nice payday and get to share your fortune (with a tax break) with the needy while still being in control of where 100% of the profits go!

The actual 3rd choice (it should actually be the first choice and the best choice IMO) is to actually KEEP that set and use as f@cking intended - playing some f@cking poker with some custom/semi-custom Paulsons!! A set that will hopefully become a family heirloom.

Seriously.... Wtf? Keeping them is not even a consideration for people?

Last edited:
Not sure that was necessary buddy. But you are entitled to your opinion.

No, no, you misunderstand. I mean that GPI/Paulson is wise to the hijinks of the Boat chips and the Big Top + others, and they will never be made again because it's an embarrassment to them.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

This is exactly my MO, except bring the profit margins down to low double digits, and I don't get a tax break. And no, I have never owned a Secret Non Group Buy Paulson chip, don't plan to, and don't want to.

Seriously.... Wtf? Keeping them is not even a consideration for people?

Of course it is. And many, dare say most, probably did keep them.

I'm just speculating here, but I'm sure that a few persons may have kept *some* of their purchase, and sold *most* of them because the lure of 200-500+% profit was just too much to ignore, and they may have made a goodly amount of money and have kept what they need for their games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom