Best strategy/educational poker book for newbies (1 Viewer)

Yah, I don't think the publishers had the chipping community in mind when they designed the cover layout.

...BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE!

Sweet chips on the cover ;)
Yah, I don't think the publishers had the chipping community in mind when they designed the cover layout.

...BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE!

DSC_0245_20181002_204541.jpg

:vomit::vomit::vomit:
:vomit::vomit::vomit:

BUT, ladies and gentlemen...
DSC_0246_20181002_204544.jpg

...these appear to be the real deal!

Obligatory joke post: :ninja:

View attachment 201888

Actually it was the first poker book I read..........waaaaaay back in the day....before I knew better. :unsure:
Why is a book by one of the winningest tournament players in history a joke?
Helmuth is an ass and I disagree with so many of the things he does. But he won a bracelet this year. His 15th, I believe? All these people who say he’s a joke should be required to include their own bracelet totals.
On to the topic - I found Harrington’s new(ish) book to be pretty useful. The Daniel small ball approach is pretty much my go-to strategy for deepsrack MTT’s, and Gus’s book is worth reading too.
I tend to think of poker players as being from level 1 to level 5. I think books can do a good job helping players move from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, but I suspect they’re not much use beyond that.

Why is a book by one of the winningest tournament players in history a joke?
Helmuth is an ass and I disagree with so many of the things he does. But he won a bracelet this year. His 15th, I believe? All these people who say he’s a joke should be required to include their own bracelet totals.

I just laugh at how it's laid out and written.......animal-based player characterization is hysterical IMHO.........
It's also usually a joke post because most people coming up in poker in the "early Oughts" (2003-2006) DID read it....

Oh and:
Bracelets = 0
Cashes (in $1k+ bracelet events) = 2 out of 7

(y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:

Front and back cover, I know the chips because I read the intro.......anyone care to guess? :)

front.png
back.png

I just laugh at how it's laid out and written.......animal-based player characterization is hysterical IMHO.........
It's also usually a joke post because most people coming up in poker in the "early Oughts" (2003-2006) DID read it....

Oh and:
Bracelets = 0
Cashes (in $1k+ bracelet events) = 2 out of 7

(y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:
Well done on the cashes.
I didn’t realize you’d read the book, I thought you were just bashing him.
And I guess it wouldn’t shock me that he’d write a crap book. I believe he’s got a brilliant poker mind, but that doesn’t mean he can put it on paper.

I didn’t realize you’d read the book, I thought you were just bashing him.

You didn't click on my "Spoiler" button then.... And yes, I still own the book, it was my first poker book! :)

I was going to create a post asking for help in selecting Suggested Readings and what not, but did my due diligence and found a couple of these posts.

In about 19 days I will no longer be working in the typical sense. While my time will already be filled with many other things, something I'd like to focus on is poker, and wanted to rebuild my game and understanding. Looking on PCF there appear to be a couple of books that make repeated appearances. Any commonly accepted "These three books in order speak the most to today's game" (cash & tourney)? @ReallyGoodUsername which direction did you go in, did you like it, and why?

Thanks all!

Are you retiring or reporting to prison? ;)

I’m a big fan of Tommy Angelo, Zach Elwood, and Andrew Brokos. All their books are good.

Are you retiring or reporting to prison? ;)

I’m a big fan of Tommy Angelo, Zach Elwood, and Andrew Brokos. All their books are good.
Got quite a chuckle out of me. Moving overseas for wife's work, my work doesn't travel well so I'm on relocation and logistics duty for quite awhile...should have time for a book just on the plane travel alone :)

Alright so it looks like we're in for a Brokos book. Gonna grab it off amazon unless someone wants to sell one (will stay pay whatever price is, just would rather help out a PCFer if someone wants to move it).

Any suggestion or need to read anything in particular before this?

Personally, I have read and enjoyed 'Harrington on Hold em'

I didn't like volume 2 as much, but I got a ton of value out of volume 1 "strategic play'. It has definitely helped my tournament game. I don't finish well all the time, but I win some now here and there. Make almost every final table and rarely bust out in a bad spot.

I do need better material to read now. I've gone back and read the book again and it's not helping.

I would also love to know a good book for a mid-range level tournament player. I have been playing for 17 years. Mostly cash. But in last 3 years...it's all about Tournament.

I was going to create a post asking for help in selecting Suggested Readings and what not, but did my due diligence and found a couple of these posts.

In about 19 days I will no longer be working in the typical sense. While my time will already be filled with many other things, something I'd like to focus on is poker, and wanted to rebuild my game and understanding. Looking on PCF there appear to be a couple of books that make repeated appearances. Any commonly accepted "These three books in order speak the most to today's game" (cash & tourney)? @ReallyGoodUsername which direction did you go in, did you like it, and why?

Thanks all!
honestly never got it going though I did just buy a bulk load of them so I'll be starting to read the theory of poker followed by small stakes hold'em by miller/slansky/malmuth

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom