Tourney Best Practices for Tournament With 11 People? (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
So, it's looking like I'm going to have an awkward number for my tournament tonight - 11 people. Anyone do anything different from a normal MTT approach when hosting this number? (e.g. table of 6, table of 5, combine tables on the first bust?). Or would you squish into a table of 11? Just worry about how the early levels are going to play so short handed at each table.

I would play table of 6 and table of 5. A table of 11 will be brutal. I've done it before with family, but if it's a real poker game/tournament, the smaller size will keep play moving.

Once one player goes out; if on the six player table, keep playing; if on the five player table, shift one of the players from the six player table over. So you end up with two tables of five. Keep tables relatively balanced (within one player), until there are six players left, then it's the final table. You could also start the final table when there are 8 players left too if you want.

I believe there are poker tournament apps that can help you rebalance the tables when you put in that someone busted.

Serious question here, do your players change their styles for a short table vs a full one? Mine don’t, we could be playing heads up and they will play the same range as if we were 11 handed, which is mostly any two cards.
11 is more sociable and that’s what our group prefers, just so they can talk to and see everyone in the same place.
I personally prefer the two small tables and then combine. I like the shift in playing you can do, but if the group decides it’s one table of 11.

Serious question here, do your players change their styles for a short table vs a full one? Mine don’t, we could be playing heads up and they will play the same range as if we were 11 handed, which is mostly any two cards.
11 is more sociable and that’s what our group prefers, just so they can talk to and see everyone in the same place.
I personally prefer the two small tables and then combine. I like the shift in playing you can do, but if the group decides it’s one table of 11.
We're a collection of players that runs the full gamut - all the way from a local cash game grinder down to casual few times a year players. So the answer is some, probably about 1/2, will open up their range etc. when playing shorthanded.

About half of our players adjust their ranges based on table size. And about half of those adjust even further based on that knowledge itself, depending on who's playing. :)

About half of our players adjust their ranges based on table size. And about half of those adjust even further based on that knowledge itself, depending on who's playing. :)
yes, as should be. Sometimes it’s to no avail because of the land mines. But it depends on the players like you say.

Edited this because I’m having a foggy morning. Mixing up threads and peoples

Last edited:
You think 11 is bad? How about 9 when you have an octagonal table! 2 tables of 5 and 4 is just silly.

I almost left a cash game a couple weeks ago because they wanted to combine at 10. Short handed until 8, then combine. Ok, ok. 9 then.

I'd do two tables of 6 and 5, but I've played at @Irish 's a few times and we squeezed in 11 at one table and it played just fine. Definitely different strategies involved with the two layouts. Different strokes for different folks.

GUESS WHO JUST GOT A 12TH? THIS GUY.

The best part of being a host is hovering right at 10-11 people. :vomit:
  • You're at the full table of 10, life is good :tup:
  • Then you get another +1, the dreaded 11 - start thinking about setting up the second table, just in case
  • Someone backs out, back to 10 (whew)
  • Next you get another confirmed player - and he's bringing his friend too! - you start setting up the second table
  • Doh! Someone's kid's basketball game got changed, now you're back to 11 - one table or two? FML
All within the span of 3 or 4 hours before game time. :D

• Then you get another +1, the dreaded 11 - start thinking about setting up the second table, just in case
  • Next you get another confirmed player - and he's bringing his friend too! - you start setting up the second table
  • Doh! Someone's kid's basketball game got changed, now you're back to 11 - one table or two? FML
I live this far too often. I went from 17 to 8 in 48 hours for one event in January (when Omicron was surging).

I hate 10 handed poker. 11 would be a nightmare!

Treat it like any other tournament: Set a table size and break up tables when necessary (and decide if you're gonna use the TDA rule that the final table is table size + 1 or not).

My 2 cents: Since I think 9 handed is just marginally better than 10 handed, I set my table size to 8. For the same reason, I don't use that TDA rule.

I'd probably do an exception if we're 9 and start at 1 table. Hypothetically though, since we'd play cash instead at that number.

The only time 11 bothers me is at the end of a MTT, if I’m short and stuck up on the 5-handed table. That’s a real disadvantage, especially if it’s a satellite situation (as opposed to a typical pay ladder.)
At the beginning of a tournament, it doesn’t really matter, and I’d rather play 5 or 6 handed, than 11 (or 10 or 9.). But I suspect if you have a lot of amateurs, they’d prefer the 11 handed table. And it’s certainly a better social situation for a home game, assuming everybody can fit of course.
I think for a home game, I’d actually vote 11, if it can be done comfortably - just for the social aspect.

I feel this in my bones.

Play 6/5 and combine at 9 as @BGinGA mentioned.

I have to agree with most of the others in this thread. For 11 players I would do 6 and 5 and keep the tables balanced until down to 9 players and then reseat for the final table. It is a pain because it means 2 tables to setup and for some players they may not like going from 5/6 players to 9 because they will have to adjust their range, but that is on them. I just think that 11 players is a little squashed around a table, and depending on rate of play and round lengths, some players may not get hit with the blinds as much as others.

I have to agree with most of the others in this thread. For 11 players I would do 6 and 5 and keep the tables balanced until down to 9 players and then reseat for the final table. It is a pain because it means 2 tables to setup and for some players they may not like going from 5/6 players to 9 because they will have to adjust their range, but that is on them. I just think that 11 players is a little squashed around a table, and depending on rate of play and round lengths, some players may not get hit with the blinds as much as others.
But the good part of having the 2nd table set up means you can get a cash game started up when you get a few knockouts

If it were me, I'd do 2 tables with 5/6 rebalancing till 9 players left and then reseat to one table. Then start up the cash game. Always good to have a second table ready to go!

With 10 players I'd probably just suck it up and play 10 handed if your table will accommodate that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom