Best mold for shaped inlays (1 Viewer)

Marhault

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm in the very early stages of working on a new CPC set. I'm absolutely taking my time with this one and getting a lot of private and hopefully public input on certain things. One thing I for sure want is shaped inlays on this set. It's likely going to be a tournament set and I know that shaped inlays don't seem to be as prominent in tournament sets as they are cash but for now I'm leaning tournament, could change though the further I get in, but either way.

Right now I'm zeroing in on molds. I love my CSQ cash set so CSQ is always in the mix for me as a CPC mold. I have always wanted an scrown set so I think those are on the table. Last but not least I've started looking at the DIASQR mold. These aren't the be all end all of the search but there are my favorites at the moment.

What I'd like to hear from you guys is which mold do YOU think goes best with shaped inlays? Does mold make a difference when it comes to shaped inlays? Do some molds just take better to them or feel better with them? I'm all ears here I'd love to hear what you guys think and see if my focus is too narrow or if I'm completely off my rocker.

A lot of molds work pretty well with shaped inlays, although DiaSqr comes to mind as a good candidate. I've heard some people say they recommend shaped inlays with DiaSqr due to misaligned inlays overlapping the molds inner circle.

I think the bigger factor will be your theme and inlay design. I originally planned to have shaped inlays with my cash set and realized my inlay design didn't really work well with shaped inlays and ended up going with circular.

The other thing to remember is a shaped inlay has a smaller area to design the inlay in vs. a round inlay. If you look at the templates CPC has for boundaries where printing is "allowed" and where boundaries need to be respected near the edges of the cuts, you can see how the area for a design gets much smaller in the shaped inlays:

http://www.classicpokerchips.com/pokerchips/realclay/artworktemplate.pdf

If you have a simple inlay design without much happening near the edges, a shaped inlay is easier to design than for something more complicated.

First set is shaped inlays on scrown, DIASQR looks just as good imo, but it has the best sound imo. My artwork (rather Toby / J5's artwork) isn't conducive to shaped inlays due to the outer ring.

The cost savings on removing the shaped inlay is real, and I would only do a shaped inlay on higher denoms regardless of cash / tourney
Eagerly awaiting my second set, make sure you take into account the artwork for shaped inlays as @AlbinoDragon mentions

1716439171121.png

1716439160164.png

The unicorn chip will be used as a 100 a few times then likely given as a member chip.

First set is shaped inlays on scrown, DIASQR looks just as good imo, but it has the best sound imo. My artwork (rather Toby / J5's artwork) isn't conducive to shaped inlays due to the outer ring.

The cost savings on removing the shaped inlay is real, and I would only do a shaped inlay on higher denoms regardless of cash / tourney
Eagerly awaiting my second set, make sure you take into account the artwork for shaped inlays as @AlbinoDragon mentions

The unicorn chip will be used as a 100 a few times then likely given as a member chip.
The cost of the shaped inlays could possibly come into play with the size of the set I'd need for a tournament set. Honestly I had forgotten that they cost more when I first started planning. I'm gonna have to do some math on that.

The cost of the shaped inlays could possibly come into play with the size of the set I'd need for a tournament set. Honestly I had forgotten that they cost more when I first started planning. I'm gonna have to do some math on that.
Maybe use the more expensive inlays only for color-up chips in the set. Round is a shape for the lower denom(s).

My DSQ set below has ~1k shaped inlays, to the point where I would deem them a significant cost. Absolutely worth it IMO, but you definitely should do the math on both options and then proceed accordingly. Nail the inlay and I doubt you'd regret it though. I just submitted an order for a new HHR set and am doing all round on that, however, although that inlay is more conducive to round.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/city-of-dawn-cardroom-cash-cpc.112468/

My DSQ set below has ~1k shaped inlays, to the point where I would deem them a significant cost. Absolutely worth it IMO, but you definitely should do the math on both options and then proceed accordingly. Nail the inlay and I doubt you'd regret it though. I just submitted an order for a new HHR set and am doing all round on that, however, although that inlay is more conducive to round.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/city-of-dawn-cardroom-cash-cpc.112468/
Shaped inlays for the winnn

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom