Cash Game Bank came up short... (1 Viewer)

Update:

They threw together a little ring game last night. Bought in for $40 - cashed out $308. Bank was dead on, and I tipped the host $50.
Yeah, 15 bucks banking error is worth it. This is a bankroll builder game!

Being in charge of the bank is a thankless job. Zero reward, and you take all the risk. Yuck.
This! Also you may look like the asshole in a friendly game because the people that never run a game don’t understand the risk / no reward. Then you have to double count or make sure things are square and someone’s offended cause they feel they were singled out

As host I always cash out last. Had one night where we were $20 light and I obviously took the hit. In the morning when I was counting my cash I found the $20 stuck in between a pile of $1s.

I keep a little clutch purse (I’m a very comfortable man lol) that my mom gave me as my bank and that shit is always on me. I get laughed at and the guys poke fun but I’ve never been more than a few quarters off.

Being in charge of the bank is a thankless job. Zero reward, and you take all the risk. Yuck.

Yeah, if the host is the bank, which is usually the case, people should recognize and be a little more forgiving of shortcomings.

Hosting is already largely thankless between the food, drinks, people crapping on your john, spending your time to set everything up, and the worst, wrangling the cats to actually get a game together, and then you have the bank on top of that, and when someone fucks up and you are short, some dude is looking for YOU to make it right?

I'd say if you are the last guy cashing out, and it's just you and the host left, offer to split the difference with him if the count is hosed. You did go to his house, sit at his table, use his chips, chairs, cards, eat & drink his water/beer/liquor (if this is the case), likely TAKE HIS MONEY, and now you expect him to make up the difference? You're lucky he didn't tell you to eat a bag of dicks and charge you $50 for the privilege of playing in his game - which is probably far short of what you should have been charged!

Glad to see you didn't go after the host @Felt_Lizard.

As host I always cash out last. Had one night where we were $20 light and I obviously took the hit. In the morning when I was counting my cash I found the $20 stuck in between a pile of $1s.

I keep a little clutch purse (I’m a very comfortable man lol) that my mom gave me as my bank and that shit is always on me. I get laughed at and the guys poke fun but I’ve never been more than a few quarters off.

+1. When I used to host a 1/2 & 2/5 game, I always cashed out last as host. Bank was almost always spot on, if not a bit over from me not separating tips out as I had more and more high life.

I get it. But man...... $15 cost to having a fun night and still pocketing some extra coin? I’d call that a net win. That’s what one drink in a bar costs. Here you had a whole evening of fun. You came out on top.

You have every right to grind gears. But life is short. Enjoy the evening. I see this as a total win.

This is the second bank-related thread I've seen today, so it's time for a reposting of my banking procedure:

1) Cash in, chips out. Never give chips from the bank on credit. Ever.
2) Only the banker touches the bank. This includes both cash and unpurchased chips. If I'm in a hand or in the john, they can wait two minutes.
3) Count everything twice. When someone buys chips from me, they count the money and I count the chips. Then we trade: they count the chips and I count the money. If we disagree, we do it again. Same procedure in reverse for cashouts.
4) The banker is always responsible for bank errors. I always cash myself out last. If the bank is short, I eat it.

And a corollary: If I'm playing in a game that doesn't follow similar procedures, I try my damndest to be one of the first to cash out.
The only issue I have here is the bank is always responsible.

I’m the only guy that hosts our monthly game. I’m lit by 3am and can’t count 2+2. So it nice when others take turns to rotate the bank. And people offer to do it.

BUT, if they were on the hook, then no one would do it.

Sooo, when cashing out. We do $5s first, then $1s, then 25c. That way if the bank is short, then the difference gets split amount the remaining 25c.

Also, we have 2 people count out, and one observe. That way we find out way in the dark when everyone is blacked out at 3am. Our system works.

I get it. But man...... $15 cost to having a fun night and still pocketing some extra coin? I’d call that a net win. That’s what one drink in a bar costs. Here you had a whole evening of fun. You came out on top.

You have every right to grind gears. But life is short. Enjoy the evening. I see this as a total win.
As a player, if I was up really big I wouldn’t sweat the $15.

As a host I pride myself on keeping the bank balanced and I never want any of my players to walk away with even a hint of a “that kinda sucks” feeling because of payout.

Short Story
Had a cash game a where one regular was absolutely hammered by the time he cashed out. He just kinda pushed his chips towards me in a very unorganized manner lol. He leaned over to my dad and said “I know Mike will get me squared away right”. Made me happy to see that I’ve built up a good reputation with my guys that they feel completely safe and know I run a tight ship as far as bank goes.

I have played in games that nobody can cash lout until everyone cashed out. If there was a shortage for whatever reason it was spread out among all the players cashing out, winning or losing.
So if I get felted an hour before the game breaks, I have to sit there and wait, and if the bank doesn't balance, I hafta throw in a few extra bucks to make everything right?!

It's been awhile since I hosted cash but I liked to do it the same way I counted out prize money for tournaments... I count it all down, but no money comes off the table (or for tournaments, no enevelopes are sealed) until all stacks are counted and it's verified that the money is right.

The only issue I have here is the bank is always responsible.

I’m the only guy that hosts our monthly game. I’m lit by 3am and can’t count 2+2. So it nice when others take turns to rotate the bank. And people offer to do it.

BUT, if they were on the hook, then no one would do it.

Sooo, when cashing out. We do $5s first, then $1s, then 25c. That way if the bank is short, then the difference gets split amount the remaining 25c.

Also, we have 2 people count out, and one observe. That way we find out way in the dark when everyone is blacked out at 3am. Our system works.
I'm a firm believer in the saying, "When everyone is responsible, no one is responsible." Your system works if you're off a buck or two, but what happens when the bank comes up short $100?

My rules force me to be diligent, they keep other players' hands out of the bank, and they give my players the confidence to know that if something goes wrong, I will make it right.

And after hosting for many years and banking several crazy meetup games, I can count the number of significant banking errors I've made on one hand with fingers to spare.

Being the bank is a job that get all the tough end if thing go wrong, we usually helped out with the bank on the counting

And also when thing go wrong, we tried to reverse engineered what happen and winner try to help out a bit on the short for.

In my book coming short 15 of a 300 win at a party cash game with drunk people is a pretty good win. I can think of much worse scenarios.

I show up to a game late. They're drinking and there's a birthday boy, and I notice that no one person is in charge of the bank.

Tldr; I crushed it, and was the last one to cash out, so I walked out about $15 light. (.25/.50 NLHE, bought in for 100, cashed out 400).

One of the gentlemen, quite drunk of course, helped me understand the situation:. "You're the big winner, so who cares if it's short!?"

Lesson: Make sure you cash out first....
When I play, whoever is handling the bank has to cover if the bank is off. When it’s my turn to bank and I don’t drink a lot :rolleyes:

I never count my bank, so it’s always dead on balls accurate. Any shortage is my responsibility as banker, so I have never understood the benefit or rationale for counting anything. $0.02

...to make sure it's not short?
…and what do you do if it is short, tell someone about it? The bank is mine. I eat any shortage and don’t expect anyone to fix my mistakes. I bank at others’ PCF meetups, with the same policy and approach. I’ve never been bummed about being banker once I stopped checking the math. If you don’t recognize you are losing, you must be always winning! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom