Bad Beat or Horrible Play? (2 Viewers)

AtTheTable

Reaction score
Playing at a card room a regularly play at.

Table is 1/2NLH $100-$500 (After 1.5 hours of play you can match top stack)

So I don't know if I should have played this differently and maybe could have saved my stack or if I was going to be all in anyways.

So this is the hand.
I am sitting with a little more than $500 in my stack
I am sitting in the small blind there is a $15 straddle on the button.

I pick up As4c

I raise in my position to try and wind out some weak hands here to $30 (kind of a nitty play)
LJ calls and button limps in everyone else folds.

Flop comes out 2h3h5c

I lead out for $25 here to try and extract some value early and get someone maybe going for a flush to call and hopefully they miss on the turn where I will bet heavy to wind out their hand.
The LJ folds and it goes back to the button who raises me to $50

Some background on the button player he has been playing loose and aggressive all night
So I re-raise him to $100 he then re-raises me to all-in

Now I am trying to figure out what hands he has that he is going to play here. Maybe 3 of kind, high pocket pairs, flush draws with open ended straight draw.
Anyways of course I can't find the fold here so I make the call
The villain flips over 4s6h

Is this just a horrible beat or should I have played this differently?

Fold preflop. The last thing you want to be doing is bloating the pot OOP with a garbage ace.

As played, it's just a cooler. Unless he would ONLY jam with the nuts here, maybe you find a fold. But I'm never folding there. There are too many sets and flush draws he could have.

So just say 'NH sir'. and reload or go home with a story for your internet friends :)

Need to know who the bums are, right?
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Playing at a card room a regularly play at.

Table is 1/2NLH $100-$500 (After 1.5 hours of play you can match top stack)

So I don't know if I should have played this differently and maybe could have saved my stack or if I was going to be all in anyways.

So this is the hand.

I pick up As4c

I raise in my position to try and wind out some weak hands here to $30 (kind of a nitty play)
LJ calls and button limps in everyone else folds.

Flop comes out 2h3h5c

I lead out for $25 here to try and extract some value early and get someone maybe going for a flush to call and hopefully they miss on the turn where I will bet heavy to wind out their hand.
The LJ folds and it goes back to the button who raises me to $50

Some background on the button player he has been playing loose and aggressive all night
So I re-raise him to $100 he then re-raises me to all-in

Now I am trying to figure out what hands he has that he is going to play here. Maybe 3 of kind, high pocket pairs, flush draws with open ended straight draw.
Anyways of course I can't find the fold here so I make the call
The villain flips over 4s6h

Calling $30 with 4/6 off is loose as ever to begin with. He had to have been hoping to either bluff his way to a won pot or hoping to connect very well on the flop.
Him calling was the one kink in the plan because that flop was one of the best case scenarios for your hand.
Def a cooler but if he wouldn't fold to $30 he might have had his mind set on calling anything preflop. 4/6 off should be an insta-fold for BB, especially in the face of a raise.

Calling $30 with 4/6 off is loose as ever to begin with. He had to have been hoping to either bluff his way to a won pot or hoping to connect very well on the flop.
Him calling was the one kink in the plan because that flop was one of the best case scenarios for your hand.
Def a cooler but if he wouldn't fold to $30 he might have had his mind set on calling anything preflop. 4/6 off should be an insta-fold for BB, especially in the face of a raise.
Villain is the button that has a $15 straddle out, not the BB. He closes the action and has position for a $15 call with a pot of $75 already.

Generally you need to include more info in the OP to get good feedback in threads like these.

How many players are sitting at the table, what are the effective stacks, got any reads? Etc

Definitely fold pre. You’ve got nothing going for you here. Shitty hand, terrible position, straddle makes your stack shrink to 33 bbs. If you are gonna raise though, don’t minraise.

As played never fold.

Calling $30 with 4/6 off is loose as ever to begin with.
You are right, and against players like that you pick your spots and exploit them. Playing a garbage unsuited ace out of position is the exact opposite of exploiting loose play. Fold pre, and remember this hand the next time you want to play a garbage unsuited ace out of position. It just isn't worth it.

Both of you played horribly preflop. Horribly.
Postflop, we’ll all go broke there.

I pick up As4c

So first off, how many limpers are there? I.e. how big is this pot? Your min raise here is atrocious no matter what, but how bad is it? Of course nobody is folding, so what are we even doing here?

With multiple opponents here from small blind and it's 14 to call, this is an easy fold. However, If you want to squeeze here, at least make it a decent squeeze.... And that depends on how much the pot is. 75 seems about right without full info.

That's your main mistake here, but in general your bet sizing in general is complete garbage.

You recommend squeeze the 46o IP? Certainly can’t fold a button straddle to a min open with something like 46. Position is really nice in hold em.
Fair enough, I guess I wasn’t paying close enough attention because $30 didn’t feel like a minraise. I guess villain played fine.

I probably also prefer to fold A4o preflop. The issue preflop is being first to act, there are a number of players that will often pick up a hand worth re-raising and A4o will almost never be good against that raise, meaning you are losing $30 instead of $1 far too often.

That said, in THIS case, hero did accomplish the one upside to the open-raise, isolating the straddle that's willing to call loose.

From there, this is just a cooler.

And meta game implications, now showing the table you are opening with A4o, players are probably going to 3-bet you more often when the have position on you.

Last edited:
As stated previously, A4o from the ultimate OOP is an auto muck.

IF you're going to raise it, make it more like $50 over a $15 straddle, that cleans up the button 64o, and maybe isolates you with the LJ.

I'm not opening A4o from UTG, let alone SB with a BTN straddle. Flop might be a check given you're an early position raiser and a button straddle is going to be calling incredibly wide to a minraise, so the board hits them way harder in theory. Still, I think it makes more sense to go for value and charge hearts than try to play ranges. Don't love the raise to $100 from $50 because if he does have something like a set, flush draw, or 2 pair he'll be calling larger bets anyhow, and if he was pure bluffing he might fold to any raise, so I'd either raise larger or call. Once they're all-in, no way you can fold though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom