Avengers Endgame *Possible Spoilers* (1 Viewer)

WedgeRock

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I know there was some commentary about this film under the Infinity Wat thread... I wasn't keeping up on it because I didn't want spoilers... But I saw it this weekend and figured I'd start a new thread...

I haven't seen all the other super hero movies, and I only saw enough of Infinity War to understand the plot regarding the inifinty stones and the snap. But FFS, we're all the recalls and seeing people in the past who were gone necessary?! This could've been 2 hour movie (maybe 2:30) just by cutting multiple call backs out... I get it...it's sad. Move on.

Also, Tony Start is brilliant enough to figure out time travel (or ask the right questions to his computer), but he doesn't have the foresight to put a kill switch on his time machine? My fucking table saw has a kill switch! He also doesn't realize that a robot sharing memory with her past self could jeopardize the whole plan?! For real?

Not a bad movie, and I guess a super hero movie does require a little suspension of reality, but this one took that liberty a little far, IMO.

A few plot holes, pacing was a little stretched. But action scenes and especially the final battle was Epic!

Really enjoyed the movie. My wife says I have the body of a super hero. Thor. :). Life goals. LOL

The *first* time you see battles on this scale (big guys with super human strength) it's interesting. By this movie... *yawn*

While Infinity War was a great movie that I think even the casual fan could enjoy, Endgame was 1000% a movie for fans, either of the original comics or the MCU to date. I personally enjoyed all the call-backs and interactions with past characters & scenes (I especially liked Tony's interaction with his dad). Other highlights for me were Cap v Cap, Lebowski Thor, and getting to see Cap wield the hammer. And the styling of that final battle scene felt like it was ripped straight out of the pages of a comic book (and I'm not a comic book fan, I've just been following the MCU with my boys). I didn't care for Professor Hulk but I know a lot of comic fans loved it, and for as awesome as Thanos was in Infinity War, he fell a little flat in this one IMHO (cool weapon though).

Pretty much any movie with time travel is going to have plot holes, this was no exception. I've seen several try to explain everything away with multiple universes, but IMHO that only takes you so far. A new trailer for Spiderman just came out (looks incredibly promising), and it seems they're going down the multi-verse road, so maybe some more explanations are in store. There are several loose ends that need to be tied up as well, gotta dangle the carrot for the next phase of the MCU lol.

That being said, I think Infinity War was the better movie of the two. But based on the overall story, it kind of had to be. Endgame did exactly what it had to - it put the cap on 10 years and 22 movies, gave Marvel geeks some of the epic battles they were looking for, and gave Cap & Stark pretty good send offs.

The first Guardians movie is still my favorite of the series.

Given that this film has already surpassed the gross for Infinity War, there are a lot of people who like it! I really enjoyed the film although I would have appreciated a bathroom break :)

As for the time travel thing, of course there will be holes though they could have fixed this in the movie easily without having Loki steal the Tesseract and having Iron Man's snap send Thanos back to his own time rather than making them turn to dust.

I think this was an ensemble swansong for the original Avengers, especially Tony Stark and Cap - you had the passing of the baton to Pepper Potts (Rescue) and Falcon for future movies. There is talk of a Black Widow movie but this is likely to be an origin story. I think the Hulk is unlikely to come back solo as they've done enough of him - same with Thor, if he comes back it'll be part of a team (e.g. Asgardians of the Galaxy). And Hawkeye is effectively retired though he may be a supporting character in Black Widow.

The whole multiverse thing is well established in the comics and the Spiderman "Into the Spider-Verse" is a definite introduction to the masses that this kind of thing is there. But if they do it, it's likely to be with other characters than the main lineup.

For the future, I would definitely expect more from Black Panther and Captain Marvel. And probably Guardians unless the actors ask for too much money. If they do more Antman/Wasp and Dr Strange, they'll probably be lower budget offerings.

Also, given that Disney has now acquired the Fox film assets, that opens the door to bring X-Men back into the mix.

It wasnt what I expected, but I liked it alot.

I've seen all the marvel movies, and I liked all the callback stuff in this one. The battle was also awsome. Cap wielding the hammer was probably the highlight for me. Overall I think I liked infinity war a little better. Thanos wasnt quite as good in this one.

I also liked the original guardians movie the best of all the marvel movies. Guardians 2 not so much.

I loved it, start to finish. Cried a couple times, laughed a lot, and totally fan boyed at the fight scenes like I was 15 again. Thor was hilarious, and with the Far From Home trailer dropping today, I can’t wait for the next one.
During the final fight scene, I loved how Black Panther and Spider-Man were the 2 mainly carrying the infinity gauntlet towards the van. Symbolism as the ones who are going to be carrying the MCU forward.
Amazing.

I guess I'm not enough of a fan boy... I didn't emotionally connect like some of you, and so I wasn't willing to overlook the ibvious plot holes as easily.

With all the said, I still enjoyed the movie.

I don’t think I’m a fanboy — I found a good chunk of the fan service stuff kind of cringey. But damn the movie was entertaining. My favorite thing about it was that I didn’t know what was going to happen. At all. So all the plot developments had me, which was fun.

It’s not a perfect movie. I’d agree that Infinity War is a better movie, overall. But I forgive a lot of that because, like Infinity War, this movie should have probably never worked. It should have been a complete mess. It’s crazy what they pulled off.

I should also say I love time travel movies. So that aspect was fun for me.

I’ll have to check it out. I think my favorite nobody’s-seen-it time travel movie is Primer. Pretty dense, but worth a try.

I’ll have to check it out. I think my favorite nobody’s-seen-it time travel movie is Primer. Pretty dense, but worth a try.

Sweet, next on my list to check out. Thanks for the recommendation. :tup:

this movie should have probably never worked. It should have been a complete mess.

This is a very fair comment... It should've been a train wreck... It wasn't.

But why did they need a big machine to time travel out and back... Except when they needed to get the cube Loki stole... Then they could just use their watch?

And isn't the time arc for the reality where Loki disappeared totally fucked?

And how did Thanos navigate the time travel web without a time travel GPS band? And how did his whole ship get there? I mean, they tested bringing something back with the glove... Are we to believe Thanos was holding his entire ship?

But why did they need a big machine to time travel out and back... Except when they needed to get the cube Loki stole... Then they could just use their watch?

Hmm. I hadn’t really thought about it. By the same token, how would the watch even pull them back exactly? Tony Stark technology magic, I guess. :)

And isn't the time arc for the reality where Loki disappeared totally fucked?

I wouldn’t say fucked. The Avengers have recovered from Loki Shenanigans (TM) before. I don’t know why this would be different.

Plus, is that reality the same one that has no Thanos now? Hard to say the damage done/undone I guess.

nd how did Thanos navigate the time travel web without a time travel GPS band? And how did his whole ship get there? I mean, they tested bringing something back with the glove... Are we to believe Thanos was holding his entire ship?

And how without more Pym particles?

Maybe it didn’t happen right away. Maybe they analyzed the Pym particles Nebula had, and after she went back Thanos worked to create more, outfitting his ship to make the jump and prep for battle. Technically a year could have passed after Nebula went back. He could have even stolen Pym particles from Earth with that much time.

(I don’t want it to seem like I’m defending something or anything. Just fun to think about this stuff.)

I guess I am a minority, but a fat Thor and professor Hulk is just not what I wanted for 3 hrs. Of course it is all subjective but I felt Disappointed and let down. Infinity War was an A+ and Endgame was C- to me. Other A+ for me, Black Panther, Winter Soldier, First Avengers ... I don't really care all that much about the comics or even plot holes I just want to be entertained and this movie did not have enough of whatever I liked in those listed.

Were they clever enough to incorporate some oblique reference to the British tv series?

Unlikely, so here are some not-so-subtle shots:

b86e3184b49d12dab60c8237745b9077-1.jpg

The gorgeous actress pictured here as Emma Peel also played a prominent role in Game of Thrones. Can you figure out who?

Diana Rigg portrayed The Queen of Thorns, Lady Olenna Tyrell.

220px-Olenna_Tyrell-Diana_Rigg.jpg

I know there was some commentary about this film under the Infinity Wat thread... I wasn't keeping up on it because I didn't want spoilers... But I saw it this weekend and figured I'd start a new thread...

I haven't seen all the other super hero movies, and I only saw enough of Infinity War to understand the plot regarding the inifinty stones and the snap. But FFS, we're all the recalls and seeing people in the past who were gone necessary?! This could've been 2 hour movie (maybe 2:30) just by cutting multiple call backs out... I get it...it's sad. Move on.

Also, Tony Start is brilliant enough to figure out time travel (or ask the right questions to his computer), but he doesn't have the foresight to put a kill switch on his time machine? My fucking table saw has a kill switch! He also doesn't realize that a robot sharing memory with her past self could jeopardize the whole plan?! For real?

Not a bad movie, and I guess a super hero movie does require a little suspension of reality, but this one took that liberty a little far, IMO.

I mostly agree with you. It definitely didn't need to be three hours long. I think they easily could have cut 30-45 minutes. Saying that. I was entertained. It was fun, and the special effects were fantastic.

I hate when movies use "time travel" to fill in the plot. IMO it is simply lazy story telling.

I loved it, start to finish. Cried a couple times,

Maybe my heart is made of rock. Its a super hero movie. I don't get the sadness/crying. @ThePunk was saying the same thing at poker last night, that he was tearing up. I don't get it.

FWIW. I like time travel movies. Not movies that use time travel to fix their story.

I thought it was a good movie but they could have trimmed 20-30 minutes off of it easily. I know they like to be inclusive so they had to have that first opening scene at the support group but that plus several other scenes were just unneeded pandering or fluffery. When you have a 3 hour long movie you don't need filler that doesn't further the plot or give viewers any useful information.

Was anyone else kind of surprised that Captain Marvel barely had any parts in this movie and for being built up to be such a badass in her own film was just punched away by Thanos no problem? Not being into the comics I assumed she was going to be the one to take out Thanos with how powerful she is.

Was anyone else kind of surprised that Captain Marvel barely had any parts in this movie and for being built up to be such a badass in her own film was just punched away by Thanos no problem? Not being into the comics I assumed she was going to be the one to take out Thanos with how powerful she is.

Re: not having much to do, I was a bit surprised. I think I was expecting more of a Black Panther or Spider-Man in Civil War vibe — they both got some time and introduction there. I wonder if they held off to leave the characterization to her movie. Just seems weird after they handled those others well in another full movie.

As for getting punched by Thanos, that didn’t bother me. She can’t be the one to win the day, that seems pretty clear. And getting punched with the power stone seems like a fair way to knock her out. I thought Thanos pulling the stone out was a cool move, plus it helped clue Tony into what to do.

I did think it was strange that the stone essentially punched her out of the rest of the movie. I guess she was in the funeral scene, but I was expecting more I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom