Are you mad generous, rich AF, or both? (1 Viewer)

legonick

Straight
Reaction score
I have a history of stirring the pot here a bit...so here we go...!

Are you mad generous, rich AF, or both?

Think about it a bit. How much did you drop on that bomb poker table? How much did that chip set cost you? You had to have the sick Copags right? How many times have you handed out free beer or hard liquor? All those times you bought pizza, gave away hotdogs, had your toilet flushed, had the lights on...it all adds up! For the convenience of paying your own money so some shark can come and take it from you, while he has a blast and spills a beer on your table!

OK so somewhat of a troll post, but in all honesty, this is a "group sport" and yet it seems like the host is "expected" to pick up so much of the financial burden. If you go camping with 4 buddies, you split the fee amongst everyone. If you host a poker night, your buddies come hungry to take your money! Has anyone diffused their cost or had other regulars put some skin in the game? What is your story?

I'll go first....

For me it's the friends and hosting aspect. I've always loved organizing tournaments for some reason. I've hosted beer pong tournaments, racquetball tournaments, board game tournies, ping pong tournies, ladderball tournies, etc.

Having that banter, that fun competition to follow, and doing it with friends...nice! Also being at your own house...I've always been partial to a good house party over a night on the town.

Think about it a bit. How much did you drop on that bomb poker table? How much did that chip set cost you? You had to have the sick Copags right? How many times have you handed out free beer or hard liquor? All those times you bought pizza, gave away hotdogs, had your toilet flushed, had the lights on...it all adds up! For the convenience of paying your own money so some shark can come and take it from you, while he has a blast and spills a beer on your table!

OK so somewhat of a troll post, but in all honesty, this is a "group sport" and yet it seems like the host is "expected" to pick up so much of the financial burden. If you go camping with 4 buddies, you split the fee amongst everyone. If you host a poker night, your buddies come hungry to take your money! Has anyone diffused their cost or had other regulars put some skin in the game? What is your story?

You are hanging with the wrong crowed...my peepz are 100% opposite (beside splashing the occasional pot)

well I do all the hosting with my group, have know most since middle school

I am also the group cook, even when we go out of town on guys weekends for golf

I never ask for anything nut all the guys chip in something, the nightly winners usually chip in even more

you are right it does add up, and those that our on the fringe of your group may not know they need to chip in for the extras, heck once, one of my buddies got real drunk and sick(my wife was pissed and next morning said no more cards at our house) well little did she know my sick buddy had already called a cleaning company to come over and clean not just the 2 rooms he was in but the whole house.......

if you are supplying food and drink either ask for some help or even put a tip jar by the food or bar

The real question is why are you hosting the game?

If it's to hang out with friends then how would you host if it wasn't a poker game but instead a board game night? Would you expect friends to chip in or not?

If it's to manage a poker game for people and that's it then maybe you would need to ask for some funds for food and such.

You are hanging with the wrong crowed...my peepz are 100% opposite (beside splashing the occasional pot)

It's a bit of a shitpost, but if you are referring to them playing good, I want that! Someone playing like a donkey or, far worse, deliberately throwing is not ideal to the game.

The real question is why are you hosting the game?

If it's to hang out with friends then how would you host if it wasn't a poker game but instead a board game night? Would you expect friends to chip in or not?

If it's to manage a poker game for people and that's it then maybe you would need to ask for some funds for food and such.

To hang with friends, but a board game night is a far way from the $$$ you can dump on a good poker night. And for board game nights what typically happens is they do chip in...maybe next month they bring their own game and we play that!

I offer just one bottle of Scotch as a host (in order to avoid drinking while playing, 'cause I love Bourbon).
The rest is BYOB, usually in the form of a gift to the host (unmistakeably Bourbon in that case, 'cause the bastards know what can get me drunk) :D
I usually pay for food and refreshments, but efforts are made (by others:D) to share the burden.

I strictly ban straddles, bomb pots and all rural pre-modern crap in my house, and I 've sacrificed friendships (apparently not good enough) for the sake of observing rules and ettiquette (in my belief that good rules make good friends).

My chips are generally a lot more worth that what they represent at the table. :)

Is he though?

/s

Meh

I do envision him like the great Dr. Gonzo from Fear and loathing in LV....

1600461040404.png

Still meh...

Me after cracked 88

1600461174278.png

I am starting to feel you on this matter. Iam the only who hosts in my group. I usually have beer ready for everyone even though i dont drink. I enjoy hosting but some people get pretty used to free stuff. We play cashgame 0.50/1 usual buyin is 200, and last time the biggest two winners had 617$ and 418$ and they expected me to round up because i didnt have any change. Which i imo unfortunately did, to 620 and 420$. Only 2 and 3 bucks but still was very surprised/kind of shocked. Now i will start taking a small rake for hosting (5 bucks) and the rule no rounding up by the host will also be communicated..

I’ll admit to shelling out $10 for hot dogs when I host. But otherwise, no, I’m neither rich nor generous. And neither are my friends.
The only times I’ve ever drank free booze or eaten free food while playing poker is when the game was raked. Otherwise, it’s always chip in for pizza and byob.

I am starting to feel you on this matter. Iam the only who hosts in my group. I usually have beer ready for everyone even though i dont drink. I enjoy hosting but some people get pretty used to free stuff. We play cashgame 0.50/1 usual buyin is 200, and last time the biggest two winners had 617$ and 418$ and they expected me to round up because i didnt have any change. Which i imo unfortunately did, to 620 and 420$. Only 2 and 3 bucks but still was very surprised/kind of shocked. Now i will start taking a small rake for hosting (5 bucks) and the rule no rounding up by the host will also be communicated..

Wow that might be a no-invite-back move...or at least if they expect that again, yeah, buh-bye!

I mean..."Hey I just won $400 but YOU CAN'T MAKE EXACT CHANGE!? Best round up out of your pocket since you, you know, provided free beer, free space, free table, and organized the event so I could take other people's money...yeah...that makes sense!" LOL.

again...that's some insane selfish basterds you are playing with...free drinks and expect the bank/host to round up :vomit::wtf: (are you kiddin' me, mind is blown...NEVER will these get another invite in my game)

All players should spot you 5 or 10 the winners 20 each...that's how we all roll (no matter if I host once or 10 times)

I’ll admit to shelling out $10 for hot dogs when I host. But otherwise, no, I’m neither rich nor generous. And neither are my friends.
The only times I’ve ever drank free booze or eaten free food while playing poker is when the game was raked. Otherwise, it’s always chip in for pizza and byob.

The big one...how much did your poker table cost you? And the second big one for lots on here...what about your chips? Gonna take a lot of wins to recoup even some of those costs (possibly...that's why I'm asking).

Wow that might be a no-invite-back move...or at least if they expect that again, yeah, buh-bye!

I mean..."Hey I just won $400 but YOU CAN'T MAKE EXACT CHANGE!? Best round up out of your pocket since you, you know, provided free beer, free space, free table, and organized the event so I could take other people's money...yeah...that makes sense!" LOL.
Yeah i didnt expect that at all. Thats probably why i agreed. Was kind of speechless in the situation. But i think in the end it is also our choice to host and provide all those things. But on the same side we can also change the rules :)

The big one...how much did your poker table cost you? And the second big one for lots on here...what about your chips? Gonna take a lot of wins to recoup even some of those costs (possibly...that's why I'm asking).

Rake is a slippery slope...ask for a free donation before you start playing...but then again, I don't expect my friends to pay for my table, chips, ... only consumables
Recoup all your cost is maybe overkill

ROUND UP?!?!?! .......seriously????

I am neither mad generous, nor rich as anything. But I like playing poker, and no one else in my group cares to invest in things like chips, card, topper, etc.

I'm not really concerned about the money I’ve put into my chips and table, which are modest by PCF standards. We play 5¢/10¢, and occasionally .25/.50 limit mixed games. I usually provide hot dogs or soup for food, plus some drinks. I ask everyone to bring a snack or drink to share—not everyone does, and most bring either a 2-liter or a bag of chips or cookies. On the rare occasion that someone else hosts, I bring chips, cards and a topper, and I run the game. If they provide food, I’ll throw them $5 as a thanks.

It sometimes bothers me that people don’t throw in a couple extra bucks for the hosting, food, etc., but that’s not why I host. Plus, I tend to win enough to offset my expenses. :)

Last edited:
Rake is a slippery slope...ask for a free donation before you start playing

If you stick to tournaments and have a buy-in cost that doesn't go into the winnings...say $2 from every $10...does that slot in with rake or not? You aren't raking pots, just charging an entry fee.

I updated my post...I think I would need to rake $100 each week to be even in the year 2089...that's on me.
But drinks, food and maybe a felt that got ruined...nothing more

Or do your players co-own your stuff after all is paid :sneaky:

And you are raking the pot...the main tourney pot/buy-in (cash is per hand or by the hour)

The way I look at the games I host is not that much different than when I host any other social gathering whether it's a dinner party, grill out, UFC fight watch or whatever. It is basically a gathering of friends and I'm happy to treat them as well as I can. Some of the best things in life are only good because they are shared.

If at any point I feel people are looking at those games at anything other than what I am offering, i.e., friends gathering to play cards (as competitive as my games are), my attitude towards that person changes as well and he/she goes from a friend to an acquaintance, in which case he won't fit within the group.

Don't feel I'm overtly generous and I'm certainly not rich AF.

I never saw my chips, buttons, cards, and tables expenses as an "investement" to be recouped; just as a net expenditure for my pleasure, just like booze, fast cars and cultivated prostitutes :LOL: :laugh:

@Sambucan: I also hosted systematically (before the pandemic), which bends the traditional rules of hospitality.
I would consider, as the host, buying the eventual losers their food and refreshments, while winners should contribute their percentage share.
Of course, if there's only one winner, there is not much compensation to the (almost permanent) host, but still it may look fair to players.

I just use an old bumper table top for a table topper. I spent about $75 re-felting and padding it.
I’ll admit, I’ve got some nice chips. But I’m probably still under $5k. And that’s mostly poker winnings.
This site has its share of Richie Riches; I’m just not one of them.

I updated my post...I think I would need to rake $100 each week to be even in the year 2089...that's on me.
But drinks, food and maybe a felt that got ruined...nothing more

Or do your players co-own your stuff after all is paid :sneaky:

Maybe they do, but maybe you only rake until you recoup a % of the cost...maybe say 50%...so you own 50%, rake stops once you've collected the other 50%...which in reality will probably be several YEARS at best. So yeah, maybe 9 regulars, so the ownership breakdown is you: 50%, regular1 - regular9: 5.555%...and your majority rules!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom