Are desert heat chips decent? (1 Viewer)

Are the edges smooth? When I bought my first set of cheap plastic chips, I was careful to avoid chips that had flashing(?) leftover from the manufacturing process. See the first two pics.

I opted for these smooth Monte Carlos. They are cheap plastic chips with metal slugs in the middle. But they fit my budget at the time. These cheap chips will never be what you call a “quality” chip. But they work fine and I still use them on occasion today.

I got my chips from ThePokerStore.com.
https://www.thepokerstore.com/collections/monte-carlo-smooth-14-gram-poker-chips

Don’t stop asking questions. There are a lot of good people on this forum that knows a ton of useless information about poker and poker chips, and I can’t stop reading about it in the threads.
Good Luck.
And welcome to PCF.

Attachments

• IMG_4962.jpeg
    IMG_4962.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4963.jpeg
    IMG_4963.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4964.jpeg
    IMG_4964.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4965.jpeg
    IMG_4965.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 70
Monte Carlo's are going to have much smoother edges for a budget chip. I think the desert heat chips are going to be very similar to @Bacon Dad's top two pictures with the flashing on the edges. Also what is the denomination breakdown of the set from marketplace? Some cheaper sets will have poor breakdowns with denominations that are not very functional.

Are these it?

1697170537206.png
OK breakdown for tourneys. too many 10,000's. Could use more 100's, which should be easy to find. Not a horrible price if the racks are included. I'd take a stab at $100. Worse they can do is say no.

Some of the inexpensive plastics can be ok. Sometimes they're too slippery for my liking sometimes the edges are too rough. I've never handled the Desert Heats, but I think they're ok.

And asking a forum full of chip snobs about inexpensive slugged chips isn't a fair assessment. Most normal people would be impressed with them.
Very true. But I wonder how many of us actually started with Paulsons versus the cheap sluggos and plastic dice chips. I think a lot of us have some type of experience with the cheaper chips.

IMOH, the majority of players either don’t care or don’t notice if they are playing with a chip that costs $0.33/chip or $6.00/chip. Their sites are on the next card.

Check out the search function. Tons of good info.
Read this.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/milano-comparison-w-desert-heat.89130/post-1829439

Very true. But I wonder how many of us actually started with Paulsons versus the cheap sluggos and plastic dice chips. I think a lot of us have some type of experience with the cheaper chips.

IMOH, the majority of players either don’t care or don’t notice if they are playing with a chip that costs $0.33/chip or $6.00/chip. Their sites are on the next card.

Read this.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/milano-comparison-w-desert-heat.89130/post-1829439
Most normal people will feel like these chips will make the game legit. Some would prefer them to old worn Paulsons.

My first set was a 2000 chips plastic with metal slug set. It worked at the time. I recently got rid of them and bought a 1700 chip ceramic set from BR Poker. Eventually I would like to put together a nice thc set. Until then, I’ll enjoy my new chips.

Are these it?

View attachment 1208758OK breakdown for tourneys. too many 10,000's. Could use more 100's, which should be easy to find. Not a horrible price if the racks are included. I'd take a stab at $100. Worse they can do is say no.

Some of the inexpensive plastics can be ok. Sometimes they're too slippery for my liking sometimes the edges are too rough. I've never handled the Desert Heats, but I think they're ok.
Yep that it! His description says tournament chips but when I messaged he said he sold those and he has cash chips left. Here are the breakdown

Attachments

• IMG_5556.png
    IMG_5556.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5548.jpeg
    IMG_5548.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 81

Read this.
Yeah I’m just looking for a good set to have a home game with. I’m more looking for denominations than exquisite quality. Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about theese specifically. I have a 1k chip set without any labels so it gets confusing sometimes remembering what is what. Especially at night since I play on my back porch. Gets hard to tell the dark blue chip apart from the black lol

I have an opportunity to buy a 1000 chip set of desert heat chips off Facebook marketplace for 160$ is that pretty fair? Are they decent quality chips?
I had a set of 400 Cash Club chips made with the same material and they were a good chip. The material is a clay composite. I used them for a few years at my home game, until I found this site and took a turn down the rabbit hole.o_O They are sold per 25 pack for $4.50, so the person that bought these would have paid $200.00 shipped or so for them. Many places sell these, so if you dont need 1000 chips, it may be best to buy new ones.
I sold my 400 chips on Marketplace for $50.00

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I think the cash club, Milano or Monte Carlo’s are all good options for a first set. There are some reviews for the desert heats also.

Like many things they are a gateway chip. BEWARE

Yep that it! His description says tournament chips but when I messaged he said he sold those and he has cash chips left. Here are the breakdown
That seems like an ok breakdown for a .25/.50 to 1/1 game, except the $10 chips are unnecessary, and I'd prefer more $5's.

Weird that the ad shows the tourney set, but he's selling a cash set. Proceed with caution, I guess?

^ FYP. There's about as much clay in those chips as you have in your ear.
I was thinking these were similar to the cash club chips I had. They were definitely clay composite as they were soft to the touch, and if one ran a nail on the surface, it would scratch it. They were advertised as such.
My apologies for leading the OP astray

Attachments

• csh club.jpg
    csh club.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 33
The OP may be better off trying a group buy on this site. They can be had for a reasonable price.

I was thinking these were similar to the cash club chips I had. They were definitely clay composite as they were soft to the touch, and if one ran a nail on the surface, it would scratch it. They were advertised as such.
My apologies for leading the OP astray
Those are also injected molded plastic. They're identical to the Desert Heat set, but with different stickers. "Clay composite" is a marketing phrase. Plastic can be scratched. And some of the slugged plastics have a softer feel than others.

Those are also injected molded plastic. They're identical to the Desert Heat set, but with different stickers. "Clay composite" is a marketing phrase. Plastic can be scratched. And some of the slugged plastics have a softer feel than others.
Yep. No such thing as 'clay composite', unless you want to consider china clays and compression-molded clays in that category.

But everything marketed as such is just plastic, with zero clay content.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom